Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Natural competitors? Future car magazine group tests...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think the z/28 is awesome- for an american car company to release a 50k track car with light weight options pre-installed (I know it's a big car anyway but you need to challenge yourself to drive around it) just shows that there are some enthusiast targeted cars still being sold and not merely the bling crowd being catered to...

500HP and 470LB/FT with carbon brakes, 1.05G lateral and 1.5G braking is really impressive...for 50k it is a steal!

that is cheaper than an audi A5 cabrio
I agree completely. Where did you find the price? If its $50K its the best track car value anyone is offering.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
I don't think the GT3 has any competition. The GT3 is its own niche. A Porsche guy isn't going to buy a vette, m3, viper, gt-r, whatever, regardless how much faster it may be around the ring.
I've had a viper and three Porsches. I may be in the minority, but I will buy the best car for the money regardless of brand. I have been feeling that Porsches have become overpriced relative to the offerings by the competition such as the Corvette and Z28.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I agree completely. Where did you find the price? If its $50K its the best track car value anyone is offering.

People have been slamming the new GT3 because it's so "overweight" for a track car yet the Z28 at 100lbs lighter than a Camaro SS and 300 lighter than a ZL1 is still going to come in at about 3700lbs, nearly 500 more than the GT3. Guess I don't get the logic.

Anyway, the base price of the ZL1 is $55K. Is the Z28 supposed to be cheaper?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Guess I don't get the logic.
There is no logic
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

People have been slamming the new GT3 because it's so "overweight" for a track car yet the Z28 at 100lbs lighter than a Camaro SS and 300 lighter than a ZL1 is still going to come in at about 3700lbs, nearly 500 more than the GT3. Guess I don't get the logic.

I have to agree. It will be eating brakes and rotors. Not a great alternative in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Yes, just as the Shelby 500 is more expensive than the Boss 302 although Boss faster on the track (especially Laguna Seca). The pricing reflects the horsepower hierarchy, not track laptimes. Porsche does the same, charging more for the Turbo than the GT3 (that is traditionally faster around a road course).
Old 04-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, just as the Shelby 500 is more expensive than the Boss 302 although Boss faster on the track (especially Laguna Seca). The pricing reflects the horsepower hierarchy, not track laptimes. Porsche does the same, charging more for the Turbo than the GT3 (that is traditionally faster around a road course).
Has anyone seen an MSRP for the Z28 yet? I looked but couldn't find it among the press release stuff....
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Has anyone seen an MSRP for the Z28 yet? I looked but couldn't find it among the press release stuff....
It has not been officially released yet, but one article that seemed to speak with some authority said it is likely to be priced between $48k-$50k. My personal prediction is $49,995.

It requires no options though (unless you can't live without A/C).

The buzz has been so great, I guess it's possible that Chevy would try to increase profits with a price in the 50's, but I don't think so (at least for the first year).
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are slamming the GT3 because it's NOT a track car. No sport seats, nannies out the whazoo, 20" wheels, faux centerlocks.

How selective of you to pick one of the smaller gripes on the GT3.

Either way, the Camaro is a pony car, not to step on the toes of the Corvette. This build is a pleasant surprise, especially in consideration of what Porsche has done to the "track car" GT3 to ruin it. No longer the gold standard for the track.

Sad day when a Camaro comes better equipped for the track than a GT3.

Sad Sad day.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon70
I've had a viper and three Porsches. I may be in the minority, but I will buy the best car for the money regardless of brand. I have been feeling that Porsches have become overpriced relative to the offerings by the competition such as the Corvette and Z28.
Same here, I go where the value is and Porsche has become focused on marketing and their lawyers to the detriment of the actual cars they are selling. My new RAM 1500 pickup truck's UConnect center stack and electronic dash blows the Cayenne away in every measure. Porsche 3x more $ than RAM.

GM has said the Z/28 will be the most expensive Camaro in the lineup. Based on the spec so far announced, I would expect an MSRP somewhere around $65k easy. $70k would not surprise me.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I have to agree. It will be eating brakes and rotors. Not a great alternative in my opinion.
More likely less wear than the steel brakes on a GT3. The Carbon-Ceramics on the Z/28 are massive.

Originally Posted by wanna911
People are slamming the GT3 because it's NOT a track car. No sport seats, nannies out the whazoo, 20" wheels, faux centerlocks.

Either way, the Camaro is a pony car, not to step on the toes of the Corvette. This build is a pleasant surprise, especially in consideration of what Porsche has done to the "track car" GT3 to ruin it. No longer the gold standard for the track.

Sad Sad day.
Agreed on every point, very well stated. Well, except the last point, it is a happy happy day for those of us who are not wedded to marketing spew of a certain German Manufacturer
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911

Sad Sad day.
The point was that there weren't complaints about the Z28's weight as a track car and there were about the GT3, even though the Porsche is 500lbs lighter, which is a pretty big deal. Regadless of whether there are other gripes about the Porsche that point is still valid.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Same here, I go where the value is and Porsche has become focused on marketing and their lawyers to the detriment of the actual cars they are selling. My new RAM 1500 pickup truck's UConnect center stack and electronic dash blows the Cayenne away in every measure. Porsche 3x more $ than RAM.

GM has said the Z/28 will be the most expensive Camaro in the lineup. Based on the spec so far announced, I would expect an MSRP somewhere around $65k easy. $70k would not surprise me.

More likely less wear than the steel brakes on a GT3. The Carbon-Ceramics on the Z/28 are massive.

Agreed on every point, very well stated. Well, except the last point, it is a happy happy day for those of us who are not wedded to marketing spew of a certain German Manufacturer
Savy,I got to give it to you...you are the biggest contestant of Porsche even though you've mentioned you've owned many Porsche cars. You're definitely the '' salt and pepper '' in this forum. And the new picture sig is priceless!
We don't know how good this Z28 is going to be just as we don't know how good the GT3 will be...but I've seen both at the NY Auto Show...and even though looks are subjective,I got to tell you,the Z28 is one ugly car! I know it doesn't matter if it will prove good on the track at half price of the GT3,but I'll be laughing my *** off if it turns out to be just like a balloon filled with water that hits the ground from the 10th floor!
Of course the same can be said about the GT3...
And isn't marketing everything that the Auto Industry is about today?! I certainly think so with all manufacturers,not just Porsche...

Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
It has not been officially released yet, but one article that seemed to speak with some authority said it is likely to be priced between $48k-$50k. My personal prediction is $49,995.
Originally Posted by savyboy
You guys need to talk.....
Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by neanicu
....and even though looks are subjective,I got to tell you,the Z28 is one ugly car!
Whatever else the Camaro does or doesn't have going for it, the looks are a major downside, IMO.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neanicu
I know it doesn't matter if it will prove good on the track at half price of the GT3,but I'll be laughing my *** off if it turns out to be just like a balloon filled with water that hits the ground from the 10th floor!
Of course the same can be said about the GT3...
And isn't marketing everything that the Auto Industry is about today?! I certainly think so with all manufacturers,not just Porsche...

As a car guy and not a marque guy, I have no joy in celebrating failure of one over another. In my world, everyone wins if there are a variety of fun, capable, honestly represented cars available for purchase at reasonable prices. So it perplexes me why you would find joy in the opposite or so it would seem from your balloon comment?

Several people have made the comment that hyperbolic, voice-of-Moses marketing is to be expected. You are free to accept being patronized by the marketers if that is what you want. I find it deeply insulting. And the fact is, it does not have to be that way, and is not for some manufacturers.

When your product is honest, it will speak for itself. For example the BAC Mono. There is no hyperbole in it's marketing and there is no need because the car is automotive art and deeply desirable to those who have an automotive background and seek an uncompromised driving experience. Not everyone will understand or care and that is just fine as well.

I have had my eyes opened wide to see how other manufacturers approach their customers and I contrast that with my personal experiences with Porsche. Porsche is a marketing company primarily, and they have chosen to de-content in order to boost profit at the sacrifice of engineering excellence. Furthermore, the products are not of any exceptional quality, the company ignores defects, and does not respond to it's enthusiasts, and the pricing of product and replacement parts are obscene. That's fact, not conjecture, that I reached after owning GT3RS, GT2RS, GT3RS 4.0, Spyder, etc etc.

If Porsche miraculously turns around and offers cars and an ownership experience of compelling value, I will turn around just as fast.

Quick Reply: Natural competitors? Future car magazine group tests...