Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   New 991 GT3 / Exclusive pics and information. The real deal & at last some good news! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/741313-new-991-gt3-exclusive-pics-and-information-the-real-deal-and-at-last-some-good-news.html)

mike2727 03-04-2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10272354)
I cant help wondering how many detractors here will be driving a 991 GT3 in a few years time LOL!

Ive already identified the first no cost mods. Remove the back "Porsche" script to make the ass look less fussy and remove the two rear red reflectors and have them spray painted the same colour as the car (for ROW markets where the reflectors are not legally needed)!

+1, I am sure the aftermarket will come out with them in any official color you want even before you have the car :thumbsup:

Just wondering how the rear wheel steering will hold up at the track, just hoping it won;t go the same route as the CL's
Those are the only 2 tidbits I have against it

I am sure it will drive like on rails, just wondering about longevity

Mike

Macca 03-04-2013 06:49 PM

Andrea, 137kEuro this is including 21% VAT?

axhoaxho 03-04-2013 06:49 PM

I know there are many 991 GT3 fans here, but don't spoil Porsche to get away easy with a GT3 that is just a super Carrara S (Porsche could have put the 991 GT3 Cup engine in the 991 GT3, yet I bet it would be less profitable per car.)

Remember when Porsche tried to save a few pennies to put a sunroof on the 997.1 GT3, Porsche fans stood up and forced Porsche to do it right on the 997.2 GT3. This time Porsche saved quite a few bucks with this new engine on the GT3 (instead of using the Cup engine), we should let Porsche know (historically GT3/Cup/RSR should share the basis of the same engine) otherwise next time the Porsche beancounters will do the same if not more.

Macca 03-04-2013 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New pictures of base colours....nothing new here sorry....

Jon70 03-04-2013 06:51 PM

I've read somewhere the Turbo and the RS will share the same bodywork. In the spy photos of the turbo, the rear section has more pronounced "higher" fenders than the C4/GT3 body. I can't tell if they are wider though.

Carrera GT 03-04-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by consolidated (Post 10272415)
Regarding rear steer, I heard AP say 13mm and not 30mm thru his accent.

I replayed the video a couple of times and I still hear 30 and nothing sounds like 13, to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...vlRf3ls#t=866s

Preuninger says the phase reversal is 80 km/h, but the printed stuff says 50 km/h. He says it reduces the wheelbase geometry by 20cm!
15 Kg including hardware and larger battery.
410mm PCCB alloy hat ... 20 inch wheel "full of brake" ... that's a fun video to listen to a second time.
"Pure, raw driving joy" ... "never better in the RS 4.0" ... oh dear .. them's fighting words ... : )

mike2727 03-04-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in CA (Post 10272489)
Not to interfere, but it came from here:

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/13...-GT3_Final.pdf

Thanks Mike, found it in a later post, hard to keep up with the speed this thread is going :thumbsup:

Jon70 03-04-2013 06:55 PM

On the microsite, there is a photo with the GT2 folding buckets which look identical to what has been offered for the past few years. I am guessing these will be standard as they were in the boxster spyder with a no cost option to get the sport seats.

P_collector 03-04-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Macca (Post 10272539)
Andrea, 137kEuro this is including 21% VAT?

yes..but realistically you wont get away with one below 145-150...now convert that to US Dollars..:eek:

all the best

mike2727 03-04-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector (Post 10272565)
yes..but realistically you wont get away with one below 145-150...now convert that to US Dollars..:eek:

all the best

Basically what I had predicted came through, the price difference between the US and Europe is about 16% not counting local taxes

Mike

Carrera GT 03-04-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by axhoaxho (Post 10272540)
I know there are many 991 GT3 fans here, but don't spoil Porsche to get away easy with a GT3 that is just a super Carrara S (Porsche could have put the 991 GT3 Cup engine in the 991 GT3, yet I bet it would be less profitable per car.)

Remember when Porsche tried to save a few pennies to put a sunroof on the 997.1 GT3, Porsche fans stood up and forced Porsche to do it right on the 997.2 GT3. This time Porsche saved quite a few bucks with this new engine on the GT3 (instead of using the Cup engine), we should let Porsche know (historically GT3/Cup/RSR should share the basis of the same engine) otherwise next time the Porsche beancounters will do the same if not more.

I think you're off on a bit of a tangent here. There's no shared suspension components "at all" in the suspension. The engine is important in vital areas (head, valve train, pistons, rods, crank.) The PDK is a lighter, close ratio box with lighter gears and faster shift mechanisms. Rear steer and different diff and PTV+, loved or loathed, are very different, not just "power kit" stuff and a sport exhaust.

There was a time when the rumored "PDK and 450 horse 3.8" GT3 was sounding a lot like a Carrera S power kit with aero kit and such, but it just isn't that way.

I don't think anyone here wants me to relive the bitter "sunroof gate" days, with Porsche (or its apologists) explaining various crash-testing and "undetectable" weight and handling issues with the sunroof.

As they say in the classics, you can't lead an old horse to new water under a bridge over trouble waters and make it teach an old dog to sew a silk purse out of cow's milk from a man in the moon made of cheese. Words to live by.

Mike in CA 03-04-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by axhoaxho (Post 10272540)

With due respect, you've yet to support that statement except by repeating it. Both the press release and Preuninger's video talk about how the potential of the Mezger is exhausted. So it's not just about cost, although Preuninger admitted production cost and quality control is a factor; last I heard Porsche was not a non-profit organization. ;)

The Mezger in the Cup engine is a stopgap measure; this DFI motorsport engine will replace it in the near future. Other manufacturer's (Audi, Ferrari) are already using DFI engines in GT and Porsche must do the same to remain competitive. The Mezger was great, but it's time to move on and that's what Porsche is doing.

Carrera GT 03-04-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jon70 (Post 10272564)
On the microsite, there is a photo with the GT2 folding buckets which look identical to what has been offered for the past few years. I am guessing these will be standard as they were in the boxster spyder with a no cost option to get the sport seats.

I see you're sipping the same dream flavored kool-aid I've been taste-testing. My fear is looking at the option price sheet for the whack on those 410mm ceramics. After all, 410 mm brakes! You're just not a real man if you don't buy 410mm brake rotors when you can get 'em!

DLJ 03-04-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by shizzle (Post 10272316)

Slated for arrival in Canada at the end of the year, the all-new 911 GT3 will be offered starting at $148,800.

GULP!

Initial impression is that it looks sharp in pics and of course some interesting new stuff added, with perhaps a few (initial impression) exceptions:
Still Centerlocks Yuck
PDK only?
4 wheel steering (the next Centerlocks debacle in the interest of another marketing gimick?)
Front integration of signal/DRL's looks odd to me thus far (of course in the eye of the beholder..)
Probably some more things to pick at too (given some more time...)

No matter. I'm really lovin' my choice of the "old school" gen. 1 with the real (for me) Porsche experience. You could put me in the latest greatest of anything on a track and I'd still be a snail...

Carrera GT 03-04-2013 07:06 PM

Has anyone seen mention of PASM or nose-lift?