Sponsored by:

PCCB, Rocks and Wheel Scoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024, 10:57 AM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PCCB, Rocks and Wheel Scoring

You don't see much about this lately, but it happened to me. Like the third drive in my new to me GT3 Touring with PCCB, I must have picked up something that scored the inner barrel of one of the fronts. I didn't hear anything, which is odd due to the extent of the scraping. Haven't really drive the car that much, not even 5000 miles yet. On part of the wheel the scoring is worse, than picture. Any one come up with a Swipe or guard that can be mounted to help prevent this? Or is everyone just living with it?
Old 09-21-2024, 11:04 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 577 Posts

It happened to me too - on one of my expensive BBS magnesium wheels which was a bummer. Thankfully not as deeply scored as yours and with some buffing it is very difficult to see. Would be nice to have a touch more caliper/wheel clearance but I guess that’s the cost of having these huge brake rotors! Not sure there is much you could do about it that wouldn’t further reduce the clearance though (other than bigger wheels)
Old 09-22-2024, 07:13 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 787 Likes on 571 Posts

See if an experienced wheel repair business can do anything…..pretty ugly scratch….see if dealer can advise somebody that has dealt with such a scrape…….always could get a new wheel if it bothers you over time and then have a spare wheel on hand……stuff does happen on the road….
Old 09-22-2024, 09:30 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 284 Posts

ugh
this has happened to EVERY single P car I'ved had w/ PCCBs

and I don't live next to a gravel quarry
after a few months, you forget about it and move on. if that makes it any easier
The following users liked this post:
homesauce (09-23-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 09:52 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
after a few months, you forget about it and move on. if that makes it any easier
It doesn’t seem you are living up to your username!
neurotic (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 01:42 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Happened to me on 1st drive after turning onto chip n' seal on Lime Creek Rd in Austin. I turned around when I could and rolled very slowly out. Went to stop at last stop sign and heard and felt the rock stuck between the caliper and barrel. Nice lathe mark and also a small spot on top of my caliper. As tough as it was to see at the time, I did not fix it and after a while I stopped caring much about it.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:44 PM
Drc1p
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was washing my GT3 this afternoon and noticed I’ve now got this on my front right alloy! Must have happened during a drive out last weekend. I’m annoyed, but at least I understand this is pretty common so won’t be panicking for the next few weeks!
Old 09-22-2024, 05:38 PM
Thrownaway
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

This is normal and discussed in the manual
bigkraig (09-22-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 01:25 AM
homesauce
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 60 Posts

I personally view this as normal wear and tear akin to LWB leather creases.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:04 AM
marcus1982
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I always wondered why my 2 rear wheel barrels are refinished(just the barrel), there is a visible mating line which was not so meticulously taped/masked off for delimitation. One of them actually still has a scrape visible so I was pretty sure that is not how they come from factory . Not sure why it was not filled up so it is not visible. I don't even have the PCCBs, but maybe there were at some point in the cars life. Oddly enough, there is a whole lot of room between the caliper and the barrel and the scrape mark it not all the way around.

I do not track the car and the seller told me that he believes the car was not tracked because and I quote "the bottom of the car is not scraped and the average speed of the car (calculated from the diagnostic tool) is not high enough', but this is just a wild gues3s in the end. Meanwhile I found some rubber rolls on the underbody panels so there is a telltale sign of racing . I saw those kinds of melted rubber rolls on the F1 track after a race, haha. I have been only once on the track an not with the GT3, it is something that would happen on the track? To scrape barrels like this?

Last edited by marcus1982; 09-23-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 02:23 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus1982
I always wondered why my 2 rear wheel barrels are refinished(just the barrel), there is a visible mating line which was not so meticulously taped/masked off for delimitation. One of them actually still has a scrape visible so I was pretty sure that is not how they come from factory . Not sure why it was not filled up so it is not visible. I don't even have the PCCBs, but maybe there were at some point in the cars life. Oddly enough, there is a whole lot of room between the caliper and the barrel and the scrape mark it not all the way around.

I do not track the car and the seller told me that he believes the car was not tracked because and I quote "the bottom of the car is not scraped and the average speed of the car (calculated from the diagnostic tool) is not high enough', but this is just a wild gues3s in the end. Meanwhile I found some rubber rolls on the underbody panels so there is a telltale sign of racing . I saw those kinds of melted rubber rolls on the F1 track after a race, haha. I have been only once on the track an not with the GT3, it is something that would happen on the track? To scrape barrels like this?

I thought this was more of an issue for the front wheels and not the rear, but I could be mistaken.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:29 PM
SkysTheLimit
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This isn’t a track-related issue - it will inevitably happen to anyone actually driving the car. On my GT4, I picked up a pebble as soon as I left my driveway down the street which resulted in something similar on the front wheel. Both driveway and street are paved with no rocks in sight.

If you have some mileage on your car and it *doesn’t* have scoring - wheels were likely refinished and/or replaced at some point, or another set of wheels was used while stocks were in storage.

Quick Reply: PCCB, Rocks and Wheel Scoring