The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (01-27-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 09:18 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Under different lighting conditions,

The following 2 users liked this post by Just in time:
911Jetta (01-27-2020), awew911 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 09:23 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 424 Posts

Watching them run as a pair on the banking was cool.
The following 3 users liked this post by signes:
awew911 (01-26-2020), ElectricChair (01-27-2020), Just in time (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Plus 4.4 liter twin turbo engine!
Originally Posted by Waxer
Yup. No match on the long straights.
The old GTLM M6 was a hopped up GT3 car with a 4.4L turbo.

The M8 is a true GTE car with a 4.0L V8.

The old car couldn’t race in WEC; the new one raced for one season, then they quit because they were so slow.

Just examples of how BMW operates:

Cut corners, ask for exemptions, operate on a shoestring budget, then pout if things don’t go their way.

I went by the BMW corral at about 10 AM yesterday morning. There were 9 cars inside it, and more than one of those was manufacturer owned. I don’t think BMW had a hospitality setup either (outside of team personnel and family members in the paddock).
Old 01-27-2020, 01:28 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Parade Laps

I'd like to give a great big happy shout out to PCA and IMSA. They did something very cool this year - as part of the Porsche Corral experience, they offered parade laps to the first 100 cars to sign up. No helmets required, as we ran highway speeds. I got to take my wife out on the course as a passenger. They kept us off the 31 degree banks, but let us rip through the backstretch and NASCAR turn 4 and across the finish line. It was a total blast!

The following users liked this post:
indianam3 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Guest89
The old GTLM M6 was a hopped up GT3 car with a 4.4L turbo.

The M8 is a true GTE car with a 4.0L V8.

The old car couldn’t race in WEC; the new one raced for one season, then they quit because they were so slow.

Just examples of how BMW operates:

Cut corners, ask for exemptions, operate on a shoestring budget, then pout if things don’t go their way.

I went by the BMW corral at about 10 AM yesterday morning. There were 9 cars inside it, and more than one of those was manufacturer owned. I don’t think BMW had a hospitality setup either (outside of team personnel and family members in the paddock).
The BMW was laying lap times that were a second faster than their own qualifying time. Not only that but were faster than the Porsche’s qualifying time. They were sitting on a massive advantage that was hidden till they had to go. I hope IMSA takes notice.

As to the the engine I looked into their website and it says 4.4. Hard to believe what they say. Go figure!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Just in time
The BMW was laying lap times that were a second faster than their own qualifying time. Not only that but were faster than the Porsche’s qualifying time. They were sitting on a massive advantage that was hidden till they had to go. I hope IMSA takes notice.

As to the the engine I looked into their website and it says 4.4. Hard to believe what they say. Go figure!
The race engine has a smaller displacement than the road car engine; they couldn’t race at Le Mans with a 4.4 liter turbo engine. Corvette raced a 5.5 liter naturally aspirated engine but sold a totally different engine in the C7. Porsche races a 4.2 liter naturally aspirated engine but has never sold one in a 911, although I expect they will (RS).

I don’t know how BMW found that additional pace at the end .. turbo boost pressure is highly controlled by IMSA.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up

The race engine has a smaller displacement than the road car engine; they couldn’t race at Le Mans with a 4.4 liter turbo engine. Corvette raced a 5.5 liter naturally aspirated engine but sold a totally different engine in the C7. Porsche races a 4.2 liter naturally aspirated engine but has never sold one in a 911, although I expect they will (RS).

I don’t know how BMW found that additional pace at the end .. turbo boost pressure is highly controlled by IMSA.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😎😎😎
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

The BMW corral is definitely on the light side compared to the Porsche one, but definitely better than the Audi one relegated to outside of the track lol. What I do love, is that BMW always brings a great and accessible fan experience with their customer race cars (M2 CS Racing, M4 GT4 this year) and historic race cars. Past years they've brought their V12 LMR, 3.0 CSL, Z4 GTLM, etc. for fans to get up close with. I even got a couple of BMW Art Car themed license plate frames for the M cars at home as a gift this year. Pretty neat.

Aside from having the best car corral location, and a big PCA tent, does Porsche offer anything for their fans like that? I've heard about a hospitality tent (guessing it's the one inside turn 1 entry), but I'm out of the know of how to get to it and would like to plan for it next year if I'm cool enough to join.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:52 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
but definitely better than the Audi one relegated to outside of the track
Lack of any on track excitement from the marque doesn't help.

Back when Audi was a main player in multiple classes, the Audi park at Road America was only dwarfed by the Corvette Corral.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:10 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jickel180
The BMW corral is definitely on the light side compared to the Porsche one, but definitely better than the Audi one relegated to outside of the track lol. What I do love, is that BMW always brings a great and accessible fan experience with their customer race cars (M2 CS Racing, M4 GT4 this year) and historic race cars. Past years they've brought their V12 LMR, 3.0 CSL, Z4 GTLM, etc. for fans to get up close with. I even got a couple of BMW Art Car themed license plate frames for the M cars at home as a gift this year. Pretty neat.

Aside from having the best car corral location, and a big PCA tent, does Porsche offer anything for their fans like that? I've heard about a hospitality tent (guessing it's the one inside turn 1 entry), but I'm out of the know of how to get to it and would like to plan for it next year if I'm cool enough to join.

PCNA offers a customer hospitality experience at Daytona, Sebring, and Petit Le Mans - multi day event ticket, primo parking, shuttles to move you around (depending on the track), catered food and bar for 2-3 days, and a gift bag. The best part is that you’re inside if it’s hot, cold, rainy, windy, etc. so you have a place to relax, a real bathroom, a place to charge a phone or work or take calls, etc. Drivers and execs also hang out there frequently - depending on the track and the location of the hospitality area in relation to pitlane. You are also likely to have IMSA hot lap opportunities if that’s important to you.

I have have done Porsche hospitality at Petit Le Mans 6x, Daytona 4x, Sebring 3x, COTA 2x, and Le Mans 1x, usually with a group of 8-12 of my buddies. Daytona is in 3 suites in the grandstands, Sebring is in a suite above pitlane with an outdoor area on the terraces above pit-in, and Petit Le Mans is in a very premium “tent” near turn 1 (subject to change with the new Michelin tower). COTA was in a suite above the pitbox, and Le Mans was in the Porsche Experience Center adjacent to the Ford Chicane.

Sebring tickets went up this morning; they usually sell out very quickly, and the waitlist runs into the hundreds: https://porscheracingusa.com/race-information/

They are also planning something for Formula E in NYC this summer.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:39 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr
Lack of any on track excitement from the marque doesn't help.

Back when Audi was a main player in multiple classes, the Audi park at Road America was only dwarfed by the Corvette Corral.
That plays a big role I'm sure. One of us in our group is a huge Audi fan and is always disappointed in the lack of involvement in sports car racing since their WEC departure. I think he's getting a little tired of our trash talk

PCNA offers a customer hospitality experience at Daytona, Sebring, and Petit Le Mans - multi day event ticket, primo parking, shuttles to move you around (depending on the track), catered food and bar for 2-3 days, and a gift bag. The best part is that you’re inside if it’s hot, cold, rainy, windy, etc. so you have a place to relax, a real bathroom, a place to charge a phone or work or take calls, etc. Drivers and execs also hang out there frequently - depending on the track and the location of the hospitality area in relation to pitlane. You are also likely to have IMSA hot lap opportunities if that’s important to you.

I have have done Porsche hospitality at Petit Le Mans 6x, Daytona 4x, Sebring 3x, COTA 2x, and Le Mans 1x, usually with a group of 8-12 of my buddies. Daytona is in 3 suites in the grandstands, Sebring is in a suite above pitlane with an outdoor area on the terraces above pit-in, and Petit Le Mans is in a very premium “tent” near turn 1 (subject to change with the new Michelin tower). COTA was in a suite above the pitbox, and Le Mans was in the Porsche Experience Center adjacent to the Ford Chicane.

Sebring tickets went up this morning; they usually sell out very quickly, and the waitlist runs into the hundreds: https://porscheracingusa.com/race-information/

They are also planning something for Formula E in NYC this summer.
This is great, thank you. I'll sign up for it next year. There's a lot to be said for having shelter late at night to get out of the wind and reset for a bit. Bummer there isn't a Porscheplatz for WEC @ COTA next month!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:46 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

This year did seem a bit light in the manufacture displays and experience but overall the infield was packed (likely thanks to the great weather).

Gone : Benz (who had a makeshift showroom last year with G-Wagon experience), Porsche, Ford, and I don't recall seeing Acura ?

Chevy doubled down promoting the new C8, and Cadillac had a decent piece of real estate.

One has to wonder if its a result of IMSA pricing the manufactures out of the midway, or a shift in marketing expenses towards Electric, but with a lower entry count in the race one hopes the new rules and WEC convergence buck this trend.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Quick Reply: 2020 Rolex 24 at Daytona