Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   LWB and fire extinguisher (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1139919-lwb-and-fire-extinguisher.html)

white6speed 04-23-2019 05:52 PM

LWB and fire extinguisher

Any thoughts on adding a fire extinguisher to a '19 RS. Porsche ordered the car and did not check that box.

Izzone 04-23-2019 05:59 PM

Why

Car catch on fire, run

mdrums 04-23-2019 06:03 PM

My GT3 has the factory extinguisher on the passenger seat. It’s in everyone’s way. If your track event organizers do not require one, don’t add it.

evilfij 04-23-2019 06:11 PM

Suncoast has the bracket and there are other fire extinguishers that fit it. I ordered it as the cheap factory option and then unbolted the actual fire extinguisher and holder and left the mount under the seat where it interferes with nothing.

ExMB 04-23-2019 08:34 PM

1) Got $ burning a hole in your pocket?
2) Need something to talk about when people see your car?

Buddhamonk 04-23-2019 11:11 PM

I have mine as a deterrent. People don’t want to ride in it once they see the extinguisher

Palting 04-23-2019 11:16 PM

If you track the car, it's a must have. Case in point: Hot dry summer, car goes off track to dry grass, engine dies, hot exhaust/cats ignite the dry grass. For the few minutes it takes the crew to get to you, you can either keep the fire down or even extinguish it with that bottle. I've seen it happen.

And unless your passenger has extremely short legs that immediately bend down from the seat edge, or they like to tuck their legs under the seat, it is NOT a bother. My wife likes to tuck her handbag under her legs, but she has learned to put it behind the seat instead when she rides in the GT3.

Salj 04-23-2019 11:36 PM

Fire Extinguisher

Originally Posted by Palting (Post 15794642)
If you track the car, it's a must have. Case in point: Hot dry summer, car goes off track to dry grass, engine dies, hot exhaust/cats ignite the dry grass. For the few minutes it takes the crew to get to you, you can either keep the fire down or even extinguish it with that bottle. I've seen it happen.

And unless your passenger has extremely short legs that immediately bend down from the seat edge, or they like to tuck their legs under the seat, it is NOT a bother. My wife likes to tuck her handbag under her legs, but she has learned to put it behind the seat instead when she rides in the GT3.

When fire happens. Get out of car and get behind barrier. Period. End of story.

evilfij 04-23-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Salj (Post 15794698)
When fire happens. Get out of car and get behind barrier. Period. End of story.

you must not love your car.

Salj 04-23-2019 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15794704)
you must not love your car.

Had a fire in our race car during WRL at COTA last December. When I saw the flames from the rear view mirror, self preservation kicked in and I pulled over and bolted for the barrier. Even forgot to pull the fire suppression knob before exiting!

bonehead 04-23-2019 11:45 PM

Look into Element fire extinguishers. Very small/low profile and no residue.

evilfij 04-23-2019 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Salj (Post 15794717)
Had a fire in our race car during WRL at COTA last December. When I saw the flames from the rear view mirror, self preservation kicked in and I pulled over and bolted for the barrier. Even forgot to pull the fire suppression knob before exiting!

My beloved D90 was saved by the fire extinguisher I put in it so I am biased. Put one out in a Range Rover LWB back in the day too. Most fires, if caught early, are a non-event.

BlazinPond 04-23-2019 11:51 PM

I see value in having one.....however, my wife (when with me) hates it as is.
Being a touch shorter, she hates the stock location.

I will be looking to do something like what Evilfij ^^ did/recommended.

evilfij 04-23-2019 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlazinPond (Post 15794741)
I see value in having one.....however, my wife (when with me) hates it as is.
Being a touch shorter, she hates the stock location.

I will be looking to do something like was Evilfij ^^ did/recommended.

its like three Allen head or torx bolts to remove. Took very little time — more to figure out how to unstrap it than remove the bolts.

BlazinPond 04-24-2019 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij (Post 15794751)
its like three Allen head or torx bolts to remove. Took very little time — more to figure out how to unstrap it than remove the bolts.

Thanks bud. That was gonna be my next question.

I was under the seats last weekend installing the Trackspec angle adjusters.
I was cussing a bit because the extinguisher mount was in the way.

And agree....the first time undoing the strap was harder than expected...lol.
Good thing I didn't wait to attempt my first 'unstrap' until there was an actual fire!