Sponsored by:

GA coming after MT plate owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:26 PM
cacpa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Ever written off a personal dinner with your spouse and categorized it as a business expense?
Ever taken a vacation and called it a corporate expense for a board meeting?
Ever bought a computer for yourself but paid for it by your business to take the deduction?

Lets all stop trying to judge others. If this was illegal, then every time I go to Coffee and Cars here locally and there are a dozen cars with Montana plates, why do the cops, who are present at the events, just sit by and do nothing?

You want to pay more tax, by all means do so. There are folks who try to minimize their tax burdens and for that I say good for them.
Why is the definition of illegal synonymous with getting caught? Taking a personal vacation and calling it a corporate expense is against tax law. That does not mean it's not done often, nor does it mean you will get caught, nor does it mean that it is a high risk position. Just don't call a cat a dog.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:47 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Taking a legal mortgage interest of dependent deduction is not the same as setting up a sham LLC to skirt the tax law. If you think those are the same, you have very different views than I
misterwaterfall, it's a lost cause trying to have a logical exchange with mr. cowboy, i've tried.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:59 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
misterwaterfall, it's a lost cause trying to have a logical exchange with mr. cowboy, i've tried.
you arent going to respond to my last post to you right? Figured.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:01 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cacpa
Why is the definition of illegal synonymous with getting caught? Taking a personal vacation and calling it a corporate expense is against tax law. That does not mean it's not done often, nor does it mean you will get caught, nor does it mean that it is a high risk position. Just don't call a cat a dog.
Not quite sure the point you are attempting to make but I think you and I are saying the same thing. There are acts that are "illegal" yet people do them all the time. Why is trying to save money on your plates any different?

Billions in revenue are potentially lost by the government by people writing off expenses that are not legit - yet all this outrage because couple dozen exotic car owners try to save tax by using a loophole.

Class warfare never made sense to me. If you are going to enforce one law, enforce them all.

You want to enforce Montana tags, then enforce welfare fraud, social security fraud, immigration fraud. Selective outrage is not becoming of a society.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I’m from CA which is a mess on car tax. If you buy a new car in GA the 7% you pay is sales taxe plain and simple one time, and to register your car the next year is 25.00 per vehicle. You trade your car and the value to 100k and you buy a car 200k you pay tax on the 100k.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 284 Posts

You want to enforce Montana tags, then enforce welfare fraud, social security fraud, immigration fraud. Selective outrage is not becoming of a society.
Im no political expert, but I’m pretty sure they do....
Old 10-31-2018, 07:37 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If one is side skirting the law with MT plates, it's a logical assumption they are side skirting other tax/revenue laws. D bags talk about class ware-fare, but who's struggling, who's got the power ?
Yea it's all the welfare fraud bankrupting our nation, SMDH. The rich will always stay rich the poor will most likely remain poor, extreme exceptions aside.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I’m from CA which is a mess on car tax. If you buy a new car in GA the 7% you pay is sales taxe plain and simple one time, and to register your car the next year is 25.00 per vehicle. You trade your car and the value to 100k and you buy a car 200k you pay tax on the 100k.
Thats exactly how Arizona is.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0to60
If one is side skirting the law with MT plates, it's a logical assumption they are side skirting other tax/revenue laws. D bags talk about class ware-fare, but who's struggling, who's got the power ?
Yea it's all the welfare fraud bankrupting our nation, SMDH. The rich will always stay rich the poor will most likely remain poor, extreme exceptions aside.
There is nothing logical about your assumption. Individuals will do what they can to minimize their tax burdens. Nothing wrong with that. As far as calling someone a D-bag- is that really necessary?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Ever written off a personal dinner with your spouse and categorized it as a business expense?
Ever taken a vacation and called it a corporate expense for a board meeting?
Ever bought a computer for yourself but paid for it by your business to take the deduction?.
No, I’ve never done any of those. And I own a small business.

That said, anyone who wants to cheat the Republic of Kalifornia out of tax money has my blessing. I won’t do it, but I have no problem if others do.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:06 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

No, I’ve never done any of those. And I own a small business.

That said, anyone who wants to cheat the Republic of Kalifornia out of tax money has my blessing. I won’t do it, but I have no problem if others do.
isnt that the bottom line here? I’ve never done Montana plates but I certainly don’t begrudge anyone that chooses to do so .

Old 10-31-2018, 08:11 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is nothing logical about your assumption. Individuals will do what they can to minimize their tax burdens. Nothing wrong with that. As far as calling someone a D-bag- is that really necessary?
My apologies, but when I see the welfare issue as our nations financial troubles, it's far from the problem. No I'm not on welfare, just a middle class guy.
The LLC MT plate is a complete scheme. Unless you have a legit business that conducts inside or inside and outside the State of MT and you comply with the registration law (30) days here As far as a company car, 1/4 million car to a business that has equal revenue, lol it smells.
SERIOUSLY question:
So you register in MT
Which State will allow that MT registration and you spend over 30/45 days in a State other than Montana ?
Can't be that many that allow this.

Last edited by 0to60; 10-31-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

isnt that the bottom line here? I’ve never done Montana plates but I certainly don’t begrudge anyone that chooses to do so .

I’m only ok with it because I think the excessive taxation and registration fees in states like CA are theft plain and simple.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I’m only ok with it because I think the excessive taxation and registration fees in states like CA are theft plain and simple.
I have no problem paying taxes. I have a problem when Im told Im not paying my "fair share".

I have a problem when I see government waste and asking for my money which I know is going to get wasted on some idiotic government program.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,121 Likes on 5,269 Posts

I live in Montana, but always register and title my cars in California to help the state make up all the lost tax revenue from @usctrojanGT3

Quick Reply: GA coming after MT plate owners