GT car scams

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,133 Likes on 5,275 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101

most of these commercial flyers are not on RL. Yes, many who paid ADM are happy, until they check in here and see people getting msrp deals.
It's called an analogy.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Delete.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

One of the biggest problems with ADM in the US and why many are passionately against it is the injustice. No one wants to feel they were fooled. Why do you or I have to pay ADM if someone with a better connection can get a msrp deal? You pay $200k for a car. Next day someone tells you they bought the same car for $170k.

ps: if adm were the same across the board for everyone, there would have been less complaints

...and profit margin aside, Porsche needs to hire some smart economists or hustlers. I think there can be a state (in chemistry terms) where the enthusiasts are satisfied, Porsche gets its cut, and dealers make their money.

My wife and I are flying to Japan 1st class in December. The tickets would have cost about $34,000.00. I used 400,000 points and will be paying about $300 in fees.

It’s a free market. I’m fine with ADMs, I just don’t accept them. If you insist on MSRP on GT3s, good luck going 5-7% below MSRP on a non-GT car. You’re better off making a relationship, getting MSRP on your GT cars and less than MSRP on the others.

Dan (paid MSRP for his GT3)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:03 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, they are very bad at having a personal connection and database of their loyal customers.

Give it a couple years, we won't be having all these ADM debates.

The 918 VIP program was the father of all these current shenanigans. PCNA overreacted and gave away he house on that one. Could have done a better job marketing the 918 vs what they came up for the US market.
i‘m lacking in the historic knowledge there but it seems like they picked 500 customers and gave away the keys to the kingdom to them.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

My wife and I are flying to Japan 1st class in December. The tickets would have cost about $34,000.00. I used 400,000 points and will be paying about $300 in fees.

It’s a free market. I’m fine with ADMs, I just don’t accept them. If you insist on MSRP on GT3s, good luck going 5-7% below MSRP on a non-GT car. You’re better off making a relationship, getting MSRP on your GT cars and less than MSRP on the others.

So about $6000 worth of points and $300; that's a lot better than MSRP Dan
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Absolutely right, glad I did not procrastinate.......The GT3 is awesome for what it is. No performance complaints, just wasn't using it enough, since I already had another weekend car. It didn't take long to figure it out for my driving needs. My intention was to keep it, but this non-flipper was ahead 20K after the decision, so I am better off in that respect and utility of my Porsches.....)
You flipped your GT3. I have no idea of your original intention, but a flip either way. And to brag about coming out ahead financially (pretty sure you said $7k in another thread) and badmouthing the GT cars then you come across as a db.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

I got nothing against free market. If Apple stock costs $x, that’s what it costs. If i buy apple stock from a stealer broker for $x + adm, then find out others buy it for $x, I would be pissed.

BTW, i paid 159k msrp for my mt gt3. When i see people paying $180-200k for a similar car, it does not sit well with me.

PS: the point is, the market value for the gt3 or 3rs is not msrp + adm, it is msrp. Adm on these cars is a scam.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:32 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

One of the biggest problems with ADM in the US and why many are passionately against it is the injustice. No one wants to feel they were fooled. Why do you or I have to pay ADM if someone with a better connection can get a msrp deal? You pay $200k for a car. Next day someone tells you they bought the same car for $170k.

ps: if adm were the same across the board for everyone, there would have been less complaints

...and profit margin aside, Porsche needs to hire some smart economists or hustlers. I think there can be a state (in chemistry terms) where the enthusiasts are satisfied, Porsche gets its cut, and dealers make their money.
yes....in economics that state is called “the market clearing price”....
Old 09-21-2018, 01:40 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
How the hell does someone buy a GT car and NOT have to put a deposit down? What, you call up your dealer and say I want a new GT3RS allocation, here's my Porsche build code and they go, "Sure thing, you got it!" I call BS on that. They're gonna order you a car to your specs without a deposit? At MSRP? Right. Even with an ADM, I doubt the people who say they NEVER have put a deposit down on ANY car.
My SA at Park Place Porsche in Dallas surprised me with an allocation while I was in France on vacation in May 2017. No deposit. I sent him a build and we tweaked it with Ana's help. A year later my car arrived. No deposit and no ADM.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:42 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,105 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama

in this regard, you are correct. if Porsche wanted to keep ACTUAL prices at the MSRP level then they clearly would need to manufacture more cars. On the other hand, if they are looking to maximize their profit from existing production levels, then they should raise the prices up to current ACTUAL market level — e.g., $475 for GT2RS, $275 for GT3RS and $200 for GT3. That would take the flippers and scalpers and hooligans out of the market — and those excess(ive) prices would provide more margin for the dealerships and PCNA. The reason I was willing to pay ~$200k for GT3 (on my spec) was because I cant think of a better driving or sounding car for that price. I imagine that the guys who buy GT2RS for $475k think “wow, i just bought the fastest production car in history for under $500k” - so yes, even at these ADM prices Porsche is delivering good value for money — but the process is now ****ty and slimy because Porsche underproduces and undercharges for their cars. And yes, long before I could afford a Porsche, I was an Econ major at UCLA.
Econ or Bus Econ? I did Bus Econ with an accounting minor at UCLA (got my MBA from USC).
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raghu

My SA at Park Place Porsche in Dallas surprised me with an allocation while I was in France on vacation in May 2017. No deposit. I sent him a build and we tweaked it with Ana's help. A year later my car arrived. No deposit and no ADM.

Park Place is one of the good guy dealers out there so not surprised at all that they took care of a good local customer. I had my deposit in with them since May 2015 and couldn't get an allocation but then again I'm an out-of-towner. haha
Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by destaccado
So about $6000 worth of points and $300; that's a lot better than MSRP Dan
I calculated it to be around $.11 per point instead of the usual $.010 to $.015 per point. It’s a shame Korean Airlines discontinued it’s relationship with Chase Ultimate Rewards as of August 2018. But, this was definitely a score. And, yes, a lot better than MSRP!

Dan (tries to spend smartly and negotiates for a living)
Old 09-21-2018, 01:57 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Econ or Bus Econ? I did Bus Econ with an accounting minor at UCLA (got my MBA from USC).
Econ/Bus - 1987
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

I got nothing against free market. If Apple stock costs $x, that’s what it costs. If i buy apple stock from a stealer broker for $x + adm, then find out others buy it for $x, I would be pissed.

BTW, i paid 159k msrp for my mt gt3. When i see people paying $180-200k for a similar car, it does not sit well with me.

PS: the point is, the market value for the gt3 or 3rs is not msrp + adm, it is msrp. Adm on these cars is a scam.
Remember what the S in MSRP represents. I only took Econ 101. But, I’m pretty sure market value is what the market will bear and, if that’s MSRP + ADM, then, that’s market value. Like I said, that’s not a problem. Just negotiate below market value to the extent possible. And, bear in mind, a dealership may not accept less than market value.

Dan (doesn’t like turning away clients that wont pay his hourly rate, but does so because, that’s market value for my services)

Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whojoemama

Econ/Bus - 1987
Class of 1998 here.

Quick Reply: GT car scams