Sponsored by:

GT car scams

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Because GT cars are trunk money for dealers that never have to show up as “trunk money” on the PAG corporate ledger.

This sums it up ...
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM
darma1md
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
All these dynamics with GT allocations and ADM lead to higher prices and also a financially strong dealer network ....end result is profitability throughout the entire channel with VW group the winner in the end after all the dynamics of the current situation....they make more per Car!! That's all this is about really crystallized to its most basic result and we all know that.

The emotional connection to the marque is strong enough to both new and existing Porsche buyers to withstand all this crap, and VW knows it....
For now, do they really want to abuse it. Porsche went down the gutter in the 90's.... without loyalist they probably no longer exist now....
Old 09-25-2018, 01:20 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by darma1md
For now, do they really want to abuse it. Porsche went down the gutter in the 90's.... without loyalist they probably no longer exist now....
You know about the Cayenne?

Dan (thinks loyalists buy 911s)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:26 PM
darma1md
Track Day

Originally Posted by hfm
Do you really think dealers are taking advantage of customers? We're not forced to buy from a particular dealer. If you wanted a MY 2014 GT3 you were probably paying ADM. I told my dealer I'd be interested in a GT3 at MSRP and walked when faced with an ADM but, not before leaving my business card saying "call me if you get one in at MSRP." The next model year 2015, I got the call. Dealer-sellers are motivated to sell for a profit. Customer-buyers are motivated to pay as little a possible. You pay more if it's worth it to you and, you don't if its not. It's the same whether you're buying a house, a car or a cup of coffee. There is nothing new here.

The Mylan issue is an example of where the free market is adversely impacted by government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescr..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...anted_monopoly

No, it's not right. And, it's a problem created by pharmaceutical companies and their lobbyists that worked to restrict the free market to the benefit of specific private businesses. And, it's a very different issue involving a sell-out congress and, not comparable to dealer ADMs when you have multiple dealers to choose from versus a single monopoly manufacturer of a prescription drug.

Writing to Porsche about dealer pricing is best put in the form of "please increase inventory" rather than "make my dealer charge me less" if you'd like any kind of useful reception. Your feet are the best solution to ADMs. Walk to a dealer that charges MSRP. If you can't find one because they're all charging an ADM, wait until next year or, cough up the money because you think it's worth it to have the car now.

Dan (laughs at flippers as he heads to 30k miles)

We're looking for solutions, increasing inventory would be one, but increasing info for customers on inventory itself would work, so dealer don't hold all the cards, and keep customers blind.... Keeping them honest also helps, not just promise one thing, and when it is convenient for them, change it later on (promise a price then change it later on). It is human nature to look for profits, and if they can, they will try anything to do so, including holding out info that may hurt their profits.... Transparency....
Old 09-25-2018, 01:28 PM
darma1md
Track Day

Originally Posted by hfm
You know about the Cayenne?

Dan (thinks loyalists buy 911s)
What about it? I own a Macan S and a GT4....
Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

What about it? I own a Macan S and a GT4....
It pulled Porsche through the 90s.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle20575090/
https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-c.../cafe-saviour/
http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/...heir-companies

Porsche is successful in large part due to Cayenne, Boxster and Macan. These are not traditionally "loyalist" cars. It makes its lowest margin on GT cars, the ones we'd classify as loyalist or purist vehicles.

You have great taste in cars by the way.

Dan (15 GT3, 14 Cayenne GTS, 18 Macan)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 PM
darma1md
Track Day

Originally Posted by hfm
It pulled Porsche through the 90s.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle20575090/
https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-c.../cafe-saviour/
http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/...heir-companies

Porsche is successful in large part due to Cayenne, Boxster and Macan. These are not traditionally "loyalist" cars. It makes its lowest margin on GT cars, the ones we'd classify as loyalist or purist vehicles.

Dan (15 GT3, 14 Cayenne GTS, 18 Macan)

Yes, Cayenne and Macan are the ones making Porsche profitable, but it doesn't mean loyalists only buy 911s. We still has to commute, and 911, as good as it is, won't be practical for daily commute. Besides Macan and Cayenne still has Porsche's DNA, they drive better than any other SUVs out there (or would you rather drive other SUVs?). I bought my Macan before GT4, and it is actually one of the entry point for Porsche, exposing more people to the brand. 911 is the icon, where most people want to get eventually. GT4, GT3, RS, 2RS are a level above that, where all these customers now turned into a loyalist. We buy multiple Porsches, not just Macan or Cayenne, this is why PCNA should appreciate loyalist more. We also spread the words, good or bad.... If it wasn't due to loyalist that demand 911 to survive in the 90's, we'd be driving 944, 928, or 968 now or Mustangs??? Loyalty matters, and I don't think Porsche should take advantage of that.... BMW as an example, took advantage of its core customers, 3 series and 5 series were basically Mercedes' copies, that's why they lost their luxury car crown. Now they're trying to climb back that ladder. Porsche is now on top of that ladder, but I hope it won't take advantage of it.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM
darma1md
Track Day

Cool

Dan (15 GT3, 14 Cayenne GTS, 18 Macan)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, obviously you do too....
Old 09-25-2018, 02:01 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 574 Posts

Due to the diversity of their product portfolio and critical sales mass, Porsche as long as they stay innovative, which they indicate they are, have a nice run ahead of them.

Their dependence on 911 sales is not critical as they can use them as halo cars now along with their electric offerings to keep their image as a progressive car manufacturer bred from racing, etc.....

The experience centers reinforcing the history and performance of the cars is a stroke of genius...........new customers coming all the time and the existing ones hesitant to switch and if they do, they seem to come back because the cars just don't break under hard use, relatively speaking..............

A great university marketing textbook case or a class within itself.............
Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Yes, Cayenne and Macan are the ones making Porsche profitable, but it doesn't mean loyalists only buy 911s. We still has to commute, and 911, as good as it is, won't be practical for daily commute. Besides Macan and Cayenne still has Porsche's DNA, they drive better than any other SUVs out there (or would you rather drive other SUVs?). I bought my Macan before GT4, and it is actually one of the entry point for Porsche, exposing more people to the brand. 911 is the icon, where most people want to get eventually. GT4, GT3, RS, 2RS are a level above that, where all these customers now turned into a loyalist. We buy multiple Porsches, not just Macan or Cayenne, this is why PCNA should appreciate loyalist more. We also spread the words, good or bad.... If it wasn't due to loyalist that demand 911 to survive in the 90's, we'd be driving 944, 928, or 968 now or Mustangs??? Loyalty matters, and I don't think Porsche should take advantage of that.... BMW as an example, took advantage of its core customers, 3 series and 5 series were basically Mercedes' copies, that's why they lost their luxury car crown. Now they're trying to climb back that ladder. Porsche is now on top of that ladder, but I hope it won't take advantage of it.
True.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:51 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Do you really think dealers are taking advantage of customers?

Dan (laughs at flippers as he heads to 30k miles)
LOL seriously you’re clueless.

Are you gonna defend Ray Catena’s MSRP method as well now?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
A lot of people thought robmypro was wasting his time with the engine failures and look what happened. I'm happy to let porsche know that my RS will be my last Porsche until the games stop.
I am in the same boat!! I won't play the idiot games anymore. And I know they can find other buyers. Good luck to them
Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,105 Likes on 2,350 Posts

We're looking for solutions, increasing inventory would be one, but increasing info for customers on inventory itself would work, so dealer don't hold all the cards, and keep customers blind.... Keeping them honest also helps, not just promise one thing, and when it is convenient for them, change it later on (promise a price then change it later on). It is human nature to look for profits, and if they can, they will try anything to do so, including holding out info that may hurt their profits.... Transparency....
That's the biggest issue...lack of transparency for buyers. It would be nice if PAG/PCNA told the market that there were will approx. X to Y .2GT3 sold in the US. Another thing that would be nice is not allowing the dealers to speculate on GT cars speccing it themselves for a profit and just sell it to a buyer (whether it's for MSRP hopefully). It's the appearance of scarcity due to a lack of information that is one reason the ADMs are as high as they are.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:16 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 162 Posts

Its called supply and demand-free enterprise-capitalism which is the best economic system ever developed.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Its called supply and demand-free enterprise-capitalism which is the best economic system ever developed.
It’s called educate yourself, ton of information on the forum, can’t bring up the supply/demand argument.

Quick Reply: GT car scams