Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   GT2RS vs GT3 Cup Car (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1085614-gt2rs-vs-gt3-cup-car.html)

TRAKCAR 08-27-2018 02:56 PM

^^ What do you know about driving up a hill?
;-) :thumbup:

Whoopsy 08-27-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15246769)
^^ What do you know about driving up a hill?
;-) :thumbup:

Florida is a very hilly state! :rockon:

Manifold 08-27-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AlecG (Post 15246735)
Wasn't bragging as I'm sure there are many folks on this forum with multiple homes that put my home "to shame."

I was just trying to be as obnoxious as possible to respond to the fact that there are people that own Porsche GT cars and actually think these cars can beat a frieken Cup Car. Ridiculous thought process at best.

No hypercar (P1, LaFerrari, Porsche 918) would even come close to Cup Car. I imagine The Senna might have the best chance out of any street car.

If you truly believe a Porsche GT car has a shot at beating a Cup Car (both driven at 10/10's) you should be required to immediately sell your GT car and be forced to drive a Prius for eternity.

Having said that, this test does have "merritt" and certainly has entertainment value. It will be interesting to see exactly how much time and exactly where the GT2 gives up time to the Cup.

Unless you're Bezos, there's always someone richer. People can draw their own conclusions regarding the extent of bragging going on (congrats on the house, 11k sf is very large).

A "cup car" isn't automatically faster than every street car (GT2 RS can beat the 996 cup). It comes down to grip and power/weight. The GT2 RS wins on power/weight and loses on grip, if the 991 cup has the slicks it's designed for and the GT2 RS has regular Cup 2 or Cup 2R. On equal tires, the GT2 RS might win.

Does anyone have cup car lap times at the Nürburgring?

TRAKCAR 08-27-2018 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Whoopsy (Post 15246776)
Florida is a very hilly state! :rockon:

Another Mt Everest racer....

wanna911 08-27-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Whoopsy (Post 15246776)
Florida is a very hillbilly state! :rockon:

Fixed, but I don't think that counts.

miky360 08-27-2018 03:54 PM

Are you going to be optimizing the alignment for the track/driver? Or straight out the box? Referring to the GT2RS. My guess is about a 3-4sec difference

SDGT3 08-27-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by AlecG (Post 15246735)
Wasn't bragging as I'm sure there are many folks on this forum with multiple homes that put my home "to shame."

I was just trying to be as obnoxious as possible to respond to the fact that there are people that own Porsche GT cars and actually think these cars can beat a frieken Cup Car. Ridiculous thought process at best.

No hypercar (P1, LaFerrari, Porsche 918) would even come close to Cup Car. I imagine The Senna might have the best chance out of any street car.

If you truly believe a Porsche GT car has a shot at beating a Cup Car (both driven at 10/10's) you should be required to immediately sell your GT car and be forced to drive a Prius for eternity.

Having said that, this test does have "merritt" and certainly has entertainment value. It will be interesting to see exactly how much time and exactly where the GT2 gives up time to the Cup.

People like you are what is wrong with forums like this. How many of the above mentioned cars do you have track experience in? If the answer is one or less, perhaps you should refrain from your comments. I have plenty of experienced drivers telling me that they are not sure which car will be faster and by how much, and the last thing this forum needs is discussions about your houses and opinions. This event is solely for entertainment purposes, and if all you are here to do is talk nonsense, you would be doing us all a favor by keeping your unwanted opinions to yourself.

TRAKCAR 08-27-2018 05:10 PM

Suggesting a Prius is offensive and insulting.
Moderators please remove.

Manifold 08-27-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15247139)
Moderators please remove.

In fairness, I got a cab ride in a Prius a couple years ago, and I was kinda impressed with the roominess and performance. :)

isv 08-27-2018 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Manifold (Post 15246782)
A "cup car" isn't automatically faster than every street car (GT2 RS can beat the 996 cup). It comes down to grip and power/weight. The GT2 RS wins on power/weight and loses on grip, if the 991 cup has the slicks it's designed for and the GT2 RS has regular Cup 2 or Cup 2R. On equal tires, the GT2 RS might win.

Does anyone have cup car lap times at the Nürburgring?

But the whole point is that they aren't on equal tyres. If the 2rs was on slicks rather than road tyres there would be considerable doubt about the result but that's not going to be the case here.

I think a Cup car will do about 6:40-50 at the ring there or thereabouts. That's extrapolating from VLN Cup2 class races so I'm guesstimating which is why there's such a big spread in times as VLN races are around the combined GP and north loop. That brings it in line with what the 2rs did admittedly but the nurburgring is a bit of an unusual track I think it's fair to say and the comparison of times the cars are doing around Spa-Francorchamps is probably the better comparison.

Manifold 08-27-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by isv (Post 15247207)
But the whole point is that they aren't on equal tyres. If the 2rs was on slicks rather than road tyres there would be considerable doubt about the result but that's not going to be the case here.

I think a Cup car will do about 6:40-50 at the ring there or thereabouts. That's extrapolating from VLN Cup2 class races so I'm guesstimating which is why there's such a big spread in times as VLN races are around the combined GP and north loop. That brings it in line with what the 2rs did admittedly but the nurburgring is a bit of an unusual track I think it's fair to say and the comparison of times the cars are doing around Spa-Francorchamps is probably the better comparison.

My comment was general, and comparing the 991 cup on slicks vs the GT2 RS on Trofeo R, I do expect the cup to win by a healthy margin.

TRAKCAR 08-27-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Manifold (Post 15247204)
In fairness, I got a cab ride in a Prius a couple years ago, and I was kinda impressed with the roominess and performance. :)

im glad you survived the ride..
dont do it again, your family needs you.

just do like me, cancel the ride and re request. Safety first.
No left lane Prius, please.

wanna911 08-27-2018 06:26 PM

There are street cars that can do a Single lap as fast as a cup given equal tires. But the purpose of a cup is obviusly not to do single laps. Put some slicks on a 918 and tell me that it doesn't do 1:26's at Laguna, which is what the cups do there now. Or the ZR1 at VIR did 1:51 at VIR and 1:26 at Road Atlanta on MPSC2. Those times match right up with a the imsa cup times. No one really expects the 2RS to win on lesser tires, but I might be inclined to think it could on slicks..... Er..... If it can use slicks.

Ideally, cars would be on similar tires to give a more accurate comparison of the cars speed themselves. That would give us another scenario faces at DE's around the world. However in this case, it's just a gauge of how far street cars on street tires have come to race car lap times.

ipse dixit 08-27-2018 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 15247139)

Depends.

If the Prius is fitted with the new Cup 2 R's, it might be pretty close to non-offensive.

TRAKCAR 08-27-2018 11:36 PM

Sorry, we rarely disagree but the only good Prius is a totaled Prius.

https://m.facebook.com/LeftLanePrius/