Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Could someone explain to me why the touring downforce is so much less on the front than the wing? Is it just because the downforce on the back via the wing also increases front downforce?

Is something else going on on the wing car when you increase the angle of attack of the wing and front downforce decreases?

There are no part changes up front between the Touring and winged car that I can see on the PET, so it is likely down to the back. Rear aero does have a big effect at the front, often in unexpected ways.

Typically when you add a large, high mounted rear wing to the back of a car you'll see rear downforce increase (as expected) and front downforce decrease. There are lots reasons for this, but the main one is simple. Imagine sitting on a car's rear bumper: the back goes down, obviously, but the front goes up because the rear wheel are acting like the fulcrum of a seesaw. A big wing mounted out back applies a similar downwards force which reduces load on the front wheels slightly. This is then compounded because you've changed the car's rake: the front's ridding a little higher while the back's sitting lower, so the whole under-body is tilted tail down slightly compared to no wing, and that change in angle means the splitter and floor are not functioning as effectively to make downforce. So in a simple aero package more rear downforce equals less front downforce, and that's likely what's happening when you increase the 991.2 rear wing angle.

There's another way that a wing can interact with the underbody, however, and that can produce the exact opposite effect. Keep in mind that a wing functions by redirecting the air in its wake. To make downforce a wing takes the air flowing over the car and throws it up and back- we'd see a big rooster tail following a GT3 if we could visualize the air, and that rooster tail would be bigger for the winged car vs the Touring's spoiler. Done correctly this redirected air leaves a big hole of low pressure behind the rear bumper, and that low pressure effectively sucks air out of the diffuser making it much more effective. Of course the air feeding the diffuser needs to come from somewhere, so an effectively sucking diffuser can turn the entire underbody from the splitter on back into a low pressure area, making highly efficient downforce that's centered closer to the front of the car than the back (because on a raked car that's where the underbody is closest to the ground, and hence where the air's moving fastest).

So wing energizes diffuser energizes underbody and splitter and increases front downforce. That's likely the difference in front downforce between the Touring and Wing at the standard angle. Of course for that to work properly a delicate balance must be maintained between ride height, angle, etc, and the higher rear wing angle likely upsets that balance and is "too much of a good thing" as far as the front is concerned.

Or something like that. Even pros won't claim to fully understand all of the nuances of aero interactions.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

credibility ... you mean the fake credentials and seniority created in an online forum ... the BS on this thread is over the top with R owners claiming authority status (listing the cars they own like badges and military ranking or that they are track gods) ... and the ridiculous rationalization of the R since the GT3 Touring arrived to move the goal posts. It is marketing like the Carrera T, plastic windows and vinyl door handles ... oh yeah a “special” number plate ... oh and a pebble in a tin rattle shifter ... must say it is an outstanding 911 and I do love the stripes ...

... this thread is the last place to look for “facts” with all the false propaganda and loser posturing

Advice to you ... it is a car ... go for a drive ... make some real life friends offline ... and stop negatively obsessing over the epic GT3 Touring vs the R
ho ho ho
Old 07-21-2018, 11:07 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by M3ike
I can only compare my Touring vs my former 991 GT3RS in terms of high speed stability on the German highway. The highest speed I have reached with the RS was 322 km/h on the speedo on a straight stretch and 300 through corners and it was absolutely planted. With my Touring I so far have reached 305 and it was still pulling and it also felt perfectly planted. The big difference was under heavy braking from these high speeds where the RS was rock steady but the Touring wanders a lot and as the backend gets lighter because of the nose diving it feels much less stable. A good alignment job can probably improve things as my Touring still is on settings as it came straight from the factory. What also gives you sweaty palms is shifting at 290 from 5. to 6. as you have to take off your right hand from the steering wheel, reminds me on my old 997.1 RS.
^ Interesting comments, thanks. Reassuring words for the Touring at higher speeds, in contrast to reading the 911R felt less planted.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 785 Posts

Even the manual .2 GT3 with wing is a lot less stable on slow are fast corners VS .1RS.
Both R and manual GT3 have a mechanical LSD and maybe livier RWS programming.

the R and Touring even less downforce and livelier handeling because they are on the slower / funner GT spectrum more geared for street driving.
basically GTS but NA. In mission, so I think it’s intentional by Porsche.

GTS will be faster then R or Touring.

Lots of overlap for each little niche.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
991 R: 1370 kg
991 GT3 4.0 MT:1413 kg

The R is without AC and it seems to weight 15kg.

So 1385 kg vs 1413 kg.
I don't think that you can really feel the difference.

But the difference in RWS program can certainly be felt.

Also no PCM on R .... GT3 w lithium battery and titanium exhaust and both are par for weight ... after that the GT3T pulls ahead with new engine and chassis setup ... got to love progress

Last edited by Brian Himmelman; 07-21-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
^ Interesting comments, thanks. Reassuring words for the Touring at higher speeds, in contrast to reading the 911R felt less planted.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Thanks Petevb. That makes sense, but I do not claim to understand aero and the wing and the low pressure it creates helping front aero is quite interesting.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,394 Likes on 640 Posts

You guys realize that any downforce quotes at 186mph are basically irrelevant for any track other than the ring, and that any downforce amounts less than 100lbs on one end are basically negligible on a 3200lb car at 120mph right?

So if the difference between two cars is 5-20lbs at one end of the car at 150mph that's not going to effect the car as much as fresh sport cup 2's...

This is from my daily driver GTS at Laguna Seca (with lame corsa oem fit tires)Name:  photo221.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  123.6 KB
Old 07-24-2018, 11:13 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman

Also no PCM on R .... GT3 w lithium battery and titanium exhaust and both are par for weight ... after that the GT3T pulls ahead with new engine and chassis setup ... got to love progress

It was possible to order a GT3 without PCM, in Europe at least. I still haven't seen one without it.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:59 PM
nszombie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 928cs
It was possible to order a GT3 without PCM, in Europe at least. I still haven't seen one without it.

My Touring has radio-delete (sorry for the bad quality). That was pretty much the only decision I never changed and so far no regrets.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 363 Posts

Vow, Touring, no PCM, no leather dashboard and no sport-chrono!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:31 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes awesome spec. Still have the AC though
Old 07-25-2018, 05:02 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Yes awesome spec. Still have the AC though
no ac delete available on GT3.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:06 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
You guys realize that any downforce quotes at 186mph are basically irrelevant for any track other than the ring, and that any downforce amounts less than 100lbs on one end are basically negligible on a 3200lb car at 120mph right?

So if the difference between two cars is 5-20lbs at one end of the car at 150mph that's not going to effect the car as much as fresh sport cup 2's...

This is from my daily driver GTS at Laguna Seca (with lame corsa oem fit tires)Attachment 1286344
This!
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh to cut laps at over 1.5 G in a road car. Nice going sir.. I think we forget how advanced this latest generation is. Can any of us name a "touring" race car from the 90s, let along a road car that was able to do this...

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

This is from my daily driver GTS at Laguna Seca (with lame corsa oem fit tires)Attachment 1286344

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring