Sponsored by:

Help Sourcing a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enzo101
I drove a 14 GT3 and that's what made me serious about a 991.2. I really don't mind waiting until the 19 MY comes out. I will say the 991 GT3 is addictive. It's all that's been on my mind since last Tuesday.
Lol, Tuesday? I've been thinking about it since I put my deposit down two years ago.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:46 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Lol, Tuesday? I've been thinking about it since I put my deposit down two years ago.

haha I know right? I've wanted a GT3 since I was like, 10 years old. Dude should just pay the porsche tax. This crowd doesn't **** around.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Hello all,
I've been lurking this forum for quite a while now ....
I drove a 14 GT3 .... It's all that's been on my mind since last Tuesday.
Originally Posted by johnny2five
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
OP is kidding right? ...
Well, to some last Tuesday is lurking for a long time. Remember today's society and the need for "instant" gratification and the "me first" expectations.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:56 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

I know it's a long shot and the reason I came to the forums is due to previous experiences with forums. I've had great experiences with the few forums I'm on and thought I could get some good information with this one in my search. Thanks!
At my nearest dealer the expected wait on a GT3 is 3-7 years from when you place your deposit, and likely on the long end of that. Apparently the turbos have a 6+ month wait right now.

You basically have three options:
1. Put down a deposit with the hope that production is high enough that you get one of the last ones in this cycle. You might get lucky.
2. Call around offering to pay a premium for an allocation. Somebody will sell you a new custom order slot but that doesn't mean it will be at a price you find acceptable. And maybe you will - you can always call.
3. Buy a used one and get on the list for a new one. Sell or trade in the used one when you get your allocation.

Before learning about Porsches I too initially thought buying a GT3 would be a matter of paying MSRP anytime the car was in production. I hadn't done any research as I just didn't think there would be a lot of demand for the hard-edged version of a great street car. Well, with the production numbers where they are there is quite a lot of excess demand.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM
robgts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure where you live but try Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley. They time stamp all deposits and offer MSRP. Paul is my SA and is very nice. Good luck...
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,880 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by robgts
I am not sure where you live but try Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley. They time stamp all deposits and offer MSRP. Paul is my SA and is very nice. Good luck...
Sonnen stopped taking names a long, long, long time ago. Zero chance of him getting a car from Sonnen or any dealership in the Bay Area at this point.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM
enzo101
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Well, to some last Tuesday is lurking for a long time. Remember today's society and the need for "instant" gratification and the "me first" expectations.

You're taking my words out of context. I have been lurking on this forum for some time now. I only just found a GT3 around my area recently which is why I decided to make a post about helping to locate one.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Sonnen stopped taking names a long, long, long time ago. Zero chance of him getting a car from Sonnen or any dealership in the Bay Area at this point.

Yup.
Porsche of Walnut Creek has only gotten 2 GT3's in and they both went to 918 Spyder owners.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 PM
enzo101
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SteveFrench
haha I know right? I've wanted a GT3 since I was like, 10 years old. Dude should just pay the porsche tax. This crowd doesn't **** around.
The first time a GT3 stuck out to me was seeing a new 997 GT3 many many years ago. At the time it was unobtainable but now, thankfully, I can actually buy one.....if I can find one.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:05 PM
enzo101
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ace37
At my nearest dealer the expected wait on a GT3 is 3-7 years from when you place your deposit, and likely on the long end of that. Apparently the turbos have a 6+ month wait right now.

You basically have three options:
1. Put down a deposit with the hope that production is high enough that you get one of the last ones in this cycle. You might get lucky.
2. Call around offering to pay a premium for an allocation. Somebody will sell you a new custom order slot but that doesn't mean it will be at a price you find acceptable. And maybe you will - you can always call.
3. Buy a used one and get on the list for a new one. Sell or trade in the used one when you get your allocation.

Before learning about Porsches I too initially thought buying a GT3 would be a matter of paying MSRP anytime the car was in production. I hadn't done any research as I just didn't think there would be a lot of demand for the hard-edged version of a great street car. Well, with the production numbers where they are there is quite a lot of excess demand.
I appreciate the help! I'm still new to this market as I've only owned the Panamera for a month and a half and the was a matter of going to the dealership and writing a check. I'm hoping with the head of Porsche GTs decision to cut down on flippers they will increase production. Who knows.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:12 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

You're taking my words out of context. I have been lurking on this forum for some time now. I only just found a GT3 around my area recently which is why I decided to make a post about helping to locate one.
Be that as it may. If you've been around that long on RL and have read the posts of noobs being late to the party and wanting one you still have not explained what makes you more deserving to get one sooner and cheaper compared to others that have waited for years.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 PM
enzo101
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExMB
Be that as it may. If you've been around that long on RL and have read the posts of noobs being late to the party and wanting one you still have not explained what makes you more deserving to get one sooner and cheaper compared to others that have waited for years.
Absolutly nothing makes me more deserving than others. I understand that other noobs have tried what I am doing, however, I made the post to see if it was even possible to get what I am looking for. I realise I am new here and others have asked the same questions but things change. People back out of allocations or are told false information from dealerships. I don't want to put down money on a car that I won't get because a dealership says they get X allocations when they get a couple. I'm more than happy to wait for the 2nd or 3rd MY if it means I get the car I'm after. I'm in no rush to get the car.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:26 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Offer to buy whatever car or cars have been on the lot the longest at sticker in exchange for a GT3 allocation. That should work. Figure 20-40k in added value should guarantee you an allocation. If it were not for a PTS allocation and that I want a not yet approved color, I would be all set and would have this thing worked out. If they make a 2019 (with a PTS window), I will be golden but the early ZPT request PTS has thrown a wrench in my admittedly crazy long shot plan.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 PM
SKY57
Instructor

I really don't mind waiting until the 19 MY comes out.
I said the same thing to my SA when he told me I have a slim chance of getting the .2 GT3.
He smiled and said: 'See this is not about patience. We have to take care of more valuable customers.'
Old 07-22-2017, 10:32 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

With no GT car to trade
With no substantial relationship with a P ca dealer
You are not a VIP
If you want a new GT3, you will be paying an ADM at a minimum of 10k all the way up to 50k
Or
You can purchase a preowned 15/16 model year at MSRP, 6 year 100k warranty

Quick Reply: Help Sourcing a 991.2 GT3