Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it be easier to obtain a GT2RS than a GT3 Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:49 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Will it be easier to obtain a GT2RS than a GT3 Manual?

This is, of course, assuming one has the extra thousand Benjamins laying around I shot an email yesterday to my friendly neighborhood sales guy. He said he thought he could get me at least on the list for the next round of GT3 allocations in October, but that the GT2 would be gone-only obtainable by 918 customers. Do you guys think this is correct or will P build what the market demands?

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 03:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Porsche supposedly said the GT2 wasn't going to be limited, and at that price, I can't see anybody wanting one not getting it. Porsche also supposedly said it was reversing its strategy of limiting GT cars and losing customers to other brands (plus cars not being used, to retain value), so who knows. Therefore, I'd say both will be available at MSRP if you're willing to wait for your allocation. Otherwise, you'd have to pay a premium to 'jump' the list, or the other typical scheme of getting a 'flipped' used one with hardly any miles above MSRP. We'll find out soon enough.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:15 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

I was also wondering how many people who were previously wanting a gt3 or gt3rs would instead opt for the gt2rs if they could get one. Part of this wishful thinking is a bit selfish I admit so that mere mortals such as myself could get a gt3 allocation!

Lets hope the shifting of philosophy to offer a less limited supply of gt cars comes to fruition. I guess we may all benefit from the recent surge of healthy competition between brands (ie. McLaren) for our patronage.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Rumor is no limit on GT2 RS or any of the GT cars. I am on wait and see and pay MSRP. I would love a GT2 RS but not with PDK.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
I was also wondering how many people who were previously wanting a gt3 or gt3rs would instead opt for the gt2rs if they could get one. Part of this wishful thinking is a bit selfish I admit so that mere mortals such as myself could get a gt3 allocation!

Lets hope the shifting of philosophy to offer a less limited supply of gt cars comes to fruition. I guess we may all benefit from the recent surge of healthy competition between brands (ie. McLaren) for our patronage.
Your thought process is correct
Old 07-02-2017, 06:20 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

The limit will be production capacity I suspect on both cars.

Porsche will undoubtedly allow for the fact the gt3 has a much lower price point, giving it more demand than the GT2 and therefore will allocate more of their production capacity to GT3s. I don't think anyone in the USA, without a long dealer history, will be able to walk into a dealer and get a GT2 at MSRP. I could be wrong but it's my $.02

Here in the U.K. The GT2 is priced at almost exactly the average asking price of a marked up 991.1 3 RS. I doubt this was a mistake as Porsche surely study these things very closely.

I personally believe that when reviews of the GT2 RS come out, peoples appetite will increase.

In person the GT2 looks the absolute business. Whilst I would love a manual GT3, the best way I can summarise them side by side is the GT3 looks like Mayweather and the GT2 is Mike Tyson in his prime.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:58 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 83 Posts

I talked to my dealer yesterday, and he said they aren't making a list because it's LE and only available to 918 buyers. He talked to me like I was retarded for even asking. He also tried to explain to me why the $70K over MSRP 3RS on the sales floor was an easy sell. It had a f'n RUBBER dash! I left incredibly unimpressed. Porsche is very good at what they do, but the market gets more competitive every day, and they certainly aren't untouchable.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If the GT2 is not artificially limited in production numbers, and assuming the GT3 and GT2 RS can be produced in equal numbers weekly, then there has to be more buyers who can afford a $150k car than a $300k car. More buyers buying a car that is produced in similar quantities would then mean the supply and demand equation will skew towards the demand higher than supply for the GT3 compared to the GT2RS. Thus one would conclude that the GT3 will be harder to get, assuming they both hit the market at the same time, which they won't, but I will still say that it will be much harder to get a GT3 in the first 12 months than it is to get a GT2RS in the first 12 months. Getting the GT3 in manual would then be even harder.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Terrence
If the GT2 is not artificially limited in production numbers, and assuming the GT3 and GT2 RS can be produced in equal numbers weekly, then there has to be more buyers who can afford a $150k car than a $300k car. More buyers buying a car that is produced in similar quantities would then mean the supply and demand equation will skew towards the demand higher than supply for the GT3 compared to the GT2RS. Thus one would conclude that the GT3 will be harder to get, assuming they both hit the market at the same time, which they won't, but I will still say that it will be much harder to get a GT3 in the first 12 months than it is to get a GT2RS in the first 12 months. Getting the GT3 in manual would then be even harder.
I can't see Porsche producing them in equal number.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

**** dealers, and their stale BS. It's just the same sales 101 photocopier sales scarcity principle tactic. Watch them hold the bag on endless 3RS's. I have nothing else to say on the matter, more wine pls, lots more. Also tulips. Grazie

Last edited by CAlexio; 07-03-2017 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

I had heard the other week that the list for GT3 was double the expected allocations and the it was triple for the the GT2, so on the basis perhaps not ?

GT2 looks amazing but too much car for me, both on track and it would be waste just poking around the streets for coffee shows..
Old 07-03-2017, 04:33 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I spoke to my always knowledgeable salesman yesterday. He said Porsche is expected to cap GT2RS production at 500-600 units. With 918 people who bought 918's having a right of first refusal (less the "flippers" who have been cut off) he doesn't see any of the cars hitting the open market until they've been through a 918 owner. And we know what that will do to availability and price...

I think the GT2RS will hit the point of being "collectors only."

DMoore
'15 GT3
'18 Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo (on order)
Old 07-03-2017, 04:53 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DMoore
I spoke to my always knowledgeable salesman yesterday. He said Porsche is expected to cap GT2RS production at 500-600 units. With 918 people who bought 918's having a right of first refusal (less the "flippers" who have been cut off) he doesn't see any of the cars hitting the open market until they've been through a 918 owner. And we know what that will do to availability and price...

DMoore
'15 GT3
I hope so. Ordered mine today
Old 07-03-2017, 04:54 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I really doubt they'll do the same mistake with the R, especially after Porsche b*tched so much about it. We'll find out soon enough. I wouldn't trust dealers though, since they obviously want the same thing for their benefit.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:39 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore

DMoore
'15 GT3
That is basically what my guy said-their allocated GT2 cars would go the the 2 918 owners. I guess it is automatic even if there is less flip potential with the higher pricing.

Jim

Quick Reply: Will it be easier to obtain a GT2RS than a GT3 Manual?