Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche GT3 Cup Race Abandoned After Huge Crash Sends Four Drivers To The Hospital

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
To be fair, a yellow flag only means caution, there is accident, blockage, debris, etc in motorsports, it doesn't have a set speed for slowing down. Just that no passing allowed.

True. However; driving flat out under a caution, in order to make up ground on the leaders, doesn't fulfill the spirit of 'caution'. I believe F1 introduced the virtual safety car with a speed limit (after Jules Bianchi died) for exactly this reason.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
True. However; driving flat out under a caution, in order to make up ground on the leaders, doesn't fulfill the spirit of 'caution'. I believe F1 introduced the virtual safety car with a speed limit (after Jules Bianchi died) for exactly this reason.

And racers' mentality is that if something that isn't specifically forbidden in the rule books, it means it is allowed
Old 07-04-2017, 10:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
In a spec class like GT3 cup you have to go ***** out right away in order to separate yourself.

Guys seeing the incident and then panicking - Locking up brakes and losing control

Conclusion:

Tires get cold, guys drive fast to try and catch the leaders who are way ahead AND driving too fast under yellow, brakes lock up, more accidents...red flags fly. Happens almost every weekend during practice or a race.

I had to serve a drive through penalty for replacing too many tires (flat spotted all four in qualifying) otherwise I might have been tangled up.
In the GT4 clubsport spec series it has also been my experience that you have to make a mad dash off the start in order to get ahead of the field otherwise you risk a congo line to the finish. Equal cars mean you really have to get a good start.

Would the Cup benefit from the GT3R ABS in your series?
I often wonder why the GT3R has it, but the Cup does not in this day and age?

Last edited by tcsracing1; 07-04-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
And racers' mentality is that if something that isn't specifically forbidden in the rule books, it means it is allowed
Truer words never spoken. I guess I was just pointing out a problem that has already been identified, and solved. Kinda. Sorta
Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

the spirited "under yellow" driving is understandable on the second lap after you have already identified what the caution is caused by...but the reality is that some guys think they can sneak right back up...or guys still have race mode brain and forget about the "no passing" aspect of it...

my mode: first indication of yellow flag...stay on line but slow down so that I can avoid incident if it is on racing line

Quick Reply: Porsche GT3 Cup Race Abandoned After Huge Crash Sends Four Drivers To The Hospital