Sponsored by:

Blowing out our 911R

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sdq7
No one following you or taking pictures of you? Like paparazzi? Ok, I have to know, are you a movie star or some famous person? Outside of that, I doubt anyone would be doing that except for some hard core car guys, most people couldn't tell the difference between this and any run of the mill ordinary new 911. Funny stuff there!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

First on the list at my dealer and first to know their only 918 buyer was getting it. Would I drive it or flip it? Only for an RS and if an RS was not going to happen then I would drive it. Dump the fooking clutch and burn donuts if I felt the need.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Of course, not that your opinion is biased, or anything.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:34 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Oh hello ROMEOE55,

Not to hijack this thread, how do you like and enjoy your AMG GT? Anymore leaks, rattles, defects on your AMG? First of, you are not a PORSCHE owner NOR do you own a Ferrari so needless to say there is no credence on your post about 911R let alone about PORSCHE. Your post is pure "opinion." Please put your "negative" comments out of this forum.

Just be happy and feel lucky you have an AMG GT, albeit defective, leaking, rattling, or have lost value due to heavy depreciation. When you own a PORSCHE, then I might consider reading your post. I still own my AMG C63 Edition-507 and still enjoy it, even though the brand has been diluted by Mercedes Benz with the creation of the *43 (not so real AMGs other than a having an AMG plaque). Resale on AMG sucks due to quality issues as of late and "Brand Dilution." Enjoy your AMG for now.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Honestly, I wouldn't insult the "leaking, rattling" AMGs while you simultaneously praise the 911 R. A car that has a motor that isn't up to snuff per the direction of Porsche based on how they initially recalled it before putting a band-aid on it and then totally changed the top end to (hopefully) fix it. When's the last time Mercedes recalled an AMG engine for the entire production year?

The only real "AMGs" that are in any way comparable to Porsche's GT models are the black editions and their resale value don't suck.

The only thing that I think sucks is paying 400k for a 911 R and then being left holding the bag when Porsche releases a better car in higher numbers. Luckily, most of the people that did that did that were flippers doing it out of pure greed who don't follow the Porsche market too closely because every enthusiast has known from day 1 that a 911 R is not a 997 RS 4.0.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread has gone off-track. Sorry to the OP. I was not insulting AMG as I am still an owner of an AMG. I was merely stating the facts that the first releases of the AMG GT (GT, GT-S first edition) was a total failure. Research the AMG PL Forum and you'll see the garden variety of defects on that car (e.g., oil leaks, rattles, torque tube issues, seals, etc., etc.). After all the AMG GT initially took the reign on the AMG SLS as the top model. One member who bought his First Edition AMG GT drove home his new toy from the dealership and no more than twenty miles on the odometer his AMG GT-S First Edition stalled in the middle of the intersection. And that was just the start of his issues with that car.

AMG is a great product don't get me wrong. Just like any manufacturer, there will be issues with the "first" build. However, between the quality and reliability between a PORSCHE and an AMG, I am staying and very happy with PORSCHE GT cars and its products.

I think what went wrong with that launch was AMG was in a hurry to launch the AMG GT product, and was also busy putting those AMG decals on those "parts bin" (not real AMG *43 cars), as all that was done was an ECU tune and slapped an AMG badge on the car.

The 997 RS 4.0 is a pure bred track car. The 991R is a "Fun and Engaging" car. In other words, the 911R you can track. The 997 RS 4.0, you must and built for the track. The AMG "Black Series" can for sure compete against the likes of the GT cars by PORSCHE. Peace out.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by destaccado
Honestly, I wouldn't insult the "leaking, rattling" AMGs while you simultaneously praise the 911 R. A car that has a motor that isn't up to snuff per the direction of Porsche based on how they initially recalled it before putting a band-aid on it and then totally changed the top end to (hopefully) fix it. When's the last time Mercedes recalled an AMG engine for the entire production year?

The only real "AMGs" that are in any way comparable to Porsche's GT models are the black editions and their resale value don't suck.

The only thing that I think sucks is paying 400k for a 911 R and then being left holding the bag when Porsche releases a better car in higher numbers. Luckily, most of the people that did that did that were flippers doing it out of pure greed who don't follow the Porsche market too closely because every enthusiast has known from day 1 that a 911 R is not a 997 RS 4.0.

Last edited by GT3RS-Fan1; 07-03-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG USA
History does not support that position. Limited edition Porsches, at least in todays economy, bring considerable premiums. It's not only the quality of the cars or how different they are from other offerings, it's the limited availability. Look at the 2011 GT cars and their value today.

I believe strongly that the drop in R prices is an overreaction to the GT3 manual transmission announcement. I think the prices on the R's will go back up and now is a great time to buy one.
... what about an over reaction to a manual GT3 RS ? That would be a nail in coffin if it that happens. Porsche have taken a little bit of hot air out of the ballon with the manual GT3, and its already hissing out quicker with a "classic" in the wind, but it would near on go pop if a manual RS was announced.

That said, Id still have one in preference to the .2 GT3 but only at a touch more then .2 GT3.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 AM
wegentop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak as an R owner, nothing is going to bother me as long as I can drive the R, enjoy and appreciate what I'm living at even just .01 seconds.
R = my pride = seeing my growing family= There is always things that money can't buy !
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wegentop
Speak as an R owner, nothing is going to bother me as long as I can drive the R, enjoy and appreciate what I'm living at even just .01 seconds.
R = my pride = seeing my growing family= There is always things that money can't buy !
Spot on and enjoy the drive Btw are you the owner of the Brisbane fashion grey or black R ? Compliments and beautiful spec on both of them.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wegentop
Enjoy your great car in the best of health

Just please don't tell us you're "blowing it out" at over 2x MSRP
Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdq7
Comparing any car as a long term investment is not the same. Cost of money, what you could have invested in with it then, maintenance, insurance, storage and everything else. As rare as it is, the F40 is still a bad buy purely as an investment. If I could buy the 911R today and flip it for that kind of profit I would too. I would not want to be at the tail end of this bubble though.
Why introduce the dark cloud of reality when so many dreams are flying high???

Never ceases to astound me how many financially illiterate people there are.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Not necessarily financially illiterate. Many people understand the financial aspects in principle, but passion, desire, and biases undermine clear thinking about the finances. Porsche's designs and marketing are very effective in tapping into these factors, which are largely subconscious.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey, buying an expensive car thinking that it will retain its value is probably the definition of 'financially illiterate'. Ha ha. Does it happen? Yes, but it's always a huge risk. Therefore, not a smart financial decision. Manifold already explained what is at play to make those decisions.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The burst of the 911R bubble is going to benefit many.

Someone will buy an R for MSRP, then proceed to thrash it for 100k miles. That person will be a hero.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:18 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
The burst of the 911R bubble is going to benefit many.

Someone will buy an R for MSRP, then proceed to thrash it for 100k miles. That person will be a hero.
Even at MSRP Id prefer the GT3 with manual, I may be a minority and need wings
Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yup

Quick Reply: Blowing out our 911R