Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 4.0 VS Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
Who cares? This is a 991 Turbo S/GT3 thread. So as an owner of both offering both perspectives. Some people want the fastest track or straight line car they can get.

If you just want to criticize the Turbo S you aren’t being very helpful. Just like how the Turbo S owners who talk about lapping the slow GT3’s on the race track. Two entirely different cars both fantastic in their own way.
"Who cares?"....in the sense that he's talking about a highly modded turbo in comparison to a stock GT3?? And then using that instance to make an assessment? Such a situation will present itself to almost no one when making TTS vs. GT3 comparisons.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:11 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
"Who cares?"....in the sense that he's talking about a highly modded turbo in comparison to a stock GT3?? And then using that instance to make an assessment? Such a situation will present itself to almost no one when making TTS vs. GT3 comparisons.

That's not true as many who want to track the Turbo S actually do tune/bolt ons and tires+alignment. Why? Because getting 750+ HP with a lot more grip is easy and has been done many times. And at that point the 991TTS is performing at a hyper car level. Some people are interested in that.

And there is one company - Champion Motorsports - who will actually provide a written umbrella warranty on top of the factory Porsche warranty when you buy their Turbo S bolt-on package. Because the reliability is so proven.
The following users liked this post:
yojimbo007 (02-13-2020)
Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

That's not true as many who want to track the Turbo S actually do tune/bolt ons and tires+alignment. Why? Because getting 750+ HP with a lot more grip is easy and has been done many times. And at that point the 991TTS is performing at a hyper car level. Some people are interested in that.

And there is one company - Champion Motorsports - who will actually provide a written umbrella warranty on top of the factory Porsche warranty when you buy their Turbo S bolt-on package. Because the reliability is so proven.

OF COURSE there are add ons...That's like comparing a Nissan GTR to a Huracan and claiming "...well with a GTR you can do this this and that therefore it's better after installing larger turbos, tune, downpipes, blah blah".

When someone asks, "What's better, a Ferrari 488GTB or a Huracan Performante?". The answer shouldn't be, "Well the Ferrari because you can take it to Novitec and install their engine tune, turbos, exhaust, etc., etc therefore it's now better than a Performante". What auto magazine would make such comparisons anyhow?

The question is insinuated at a stock TTS vs. GT3 in terms of desirability.

...and I'm in the auto repair industry, you blow up an engine with some aftermarket stuff and then both warranty companies point fingers at each other trying to recuse themselves from covering anything.

Not saying that cars can't and shouldn't be modded...I've modded tons of cars. Just that it's still not the same as stock vs. stock when making comparisons between models. There's still a reason why TTS' depreciate more than most other cars on the block...they depreciate as much as some domestic rental cars!

GT3
Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

OF COURSE there are add ons...That's like comparing a Nissan GTR to a Huracan and claiming "...well with a GTR you can do this this and that therefore it's better after installing larger turbos, tune, downpipes, blah blah".

When someone asks, "What's better, a Ferrari 488GTB or a Huracan Performante?". The answer shouldn't be, "Well the Ferrari because you can take it to Novitec and install their engine tune, turbos, exhaust, etc., etc therefore it's now better than a Performante". What auto magazine would make such comparisons anyhow?

The question is insinuated at a stock TTS vs. GT3 in terms of desirability.

...and I'm in the auto repair industry, you blow up an engine with some aftermarket stuff and then both warranty companies point fingers at each other trying to recuse themselves from covering anything.

Not saying that cars can't and shouldn't be modded...I've modded tons of cars. Just that it's still not the same as stock vs. stock when making comparisons between models. There's still a reason why TTS' depreciate more than most other cars on the block...they depreciate as much as some domestic rental cars!

GT3

So that's why people use Champion Motorsports with their Porsche's. Something goes wrong with their package and they make it right. Their sister company - Champion Porsche - is one of the largest Porsche dealers worldwide. Too bad more shops don't do this. Obviously people should avoid yours with that attitude.

Regardless of what you think, people cross shop these two cars and are many are interested in the ease of higher HP from bolt-ons on the Turbo S.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a 991.1 TT w/ GIAC/Fabspeed as my DD for 1.5 yrs. Super fast GT, but it does everything so well it gets boring quickly. That said, if I didn't have young kids, I'd get one again to run as a DD with a GTx car for the weekends/track.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

So that's why people use Champion Motorsports with their Porsche's. Something goes wrong with their package and they make it right. Their sister company - Champion Porsche - is one of the largest Porsche dealers worldwide. Too bad more shops don't do this. Obviously people should avoid yours with that attitude.

Regardless of what you think, people cross shop these two cars and are many are interested in the ease of higher HP from bolt-ons on the Turbo S.
So people should avoid my shop because I mention the notion that when comparing two different cars, they should be compared as they're represented from the factory and not one all modded out making it an unfair comparison??

...and this is a fair statement? Did I ever contest that the TTS isn't the faster car? Isn't this an opinion thread yet you start going down some weird string about modding out some TTS' to make them even faster? And that point is?? Why not mod the hell out of the GT3 and compare them then?? Hell put a Turbo engine into the GT3 chassis...and the point is??

thanks for the kind words btw. ...and I have a performance shop....that's all we do is mod cars. That's not even the point of this thread...sheesh. Interesting logic chief
Old 10-23-2017, 03:54 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ajag
I had a 991.1 TT w/ GIAC/Fabspeed as my DD for 1.5 yrs. Super fast GT, but it does everything so well it gets boring quickly.
^THIS

As I said, the TTS is the faster car (no one ever contested this). My opinion was that the GT3 was the better car.

This thread is about the OP asking for people's OPINIONS about comparing the two; not science of how to mod one out, leave the competitor stock, then compare them unfairly.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:07 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
I had a 991.1 TT w/ GIAC/Fabspeed as my DD for 1.5 yrs. Super fast GT, but it does everything so well it gets boring quickly. That said, if I didn't have young kids, I'd get one again to run as a DD with a GTx car for the weekends/track.
What he said /\ /\ .

While I appreciate the 991.2 TTS I just can not get excited about the overall driving experience it offers me, and so I think the .2 GT3 T for me will be a better fit, even if it's quite a bit slower in a straight line.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Hell put a Turbo engine into the GT3 chassis...and the point is??

Now you're talking!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 566 Posts

making it an unfair comparison??
Why not mod the hell out of the GT3 and compare them then??
There is no such thing as "fair" - it's not Olympics. The only relevant thing is how the car is likely to be used. Turbo can be modded for almost no money and with no drawbacks, while GT3 cannot.
I am not biased, because I have both and will also get a GT3 RS once it's out. And I'll mod the Turbo because it costs less than one track weekend to do so and has no consequences, but I will not touch GT3 to make sure I keep getting free engine replacements (and there are not many mods for it anyway). So it's a realistic comparison in this case.

But in real life both will be driven almost exclusively at 2/10, severely limited by traffic and owner's fear of jail or death. So not much of a point comparing actual performance - GT3 wins because it's louder and depreciates much slower. The latter is why most people buy it, even though will never admit it.

Turbo gives you insane performance without compromising comfort, and GT3 gives you almost as good performance with comfort compromised for more excitement. Both are perfectly valid choices depending on priorities.
The following users liked this post:
yojimbo007 (02-13-2020)

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 4.0 VS Turbo S