Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The factory is churning GT3s in spades!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Como is one of my favorite places. We'll be in Tremezzo for a few weeks the end of next month into August. It's a magical place!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:56 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
The answer is NO because the factory is on the ''city side'' of the road and it is not allowed by law to run the factory during the night time. nothing can be done for this particular point. same apply for the sunday if I remember correctly.
the factory ran at night in the 90s to meet demand, things may have changed
Old 06-23-2017, 12:18 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Just in time
I asked about additional GT production. The answer was that some cars take longer to assemble. Thus if you add GT production that would be at the expense of volume. If I understood correctly that means less cars overall and potentiallty reduced sales. I asked about a third shift but got no answer.
if you notice at the factory all the cars are produced in the exact same number of steps over the around 150 or so stations. A GT car takes no fewer or less assembly stations at the plant. the exceptions were targas as the roof install is different and RS models with plexiglass windows which took longer to install. i have not seen them but I presume the GT3 rating models that are built on the line would also be anomalies
Old 06-23-2017, 04:24 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
if you notice at the factory all the cars are produced in the exact same number of steps over the around 150 or so stations. A GT car takes no fewer or less assembly stations at the plant. the exceptions were targas as the roof install is different and RS models with plexiglass windows which took longer to install. i have not seen them but I presume the GT3 rating models that are built on the line would also be anomalies
I came out with the impression that there were several limiting factors some related to the motors others to the cars complexity. Each GT3/RS motor is live bench tested for 30 minutes ( I assume it means dynoed among other things) . All other engines are not, only a few per day are tested. I agree that steps to assembly are all the same but came out with the impression that the time each step takes in different cars is not the same, more complex cars use more time. That is the explanation given as to why the line is a constant mixture of cabs, coupes, boxsters, GT3s etc. He stated the goal was to be able to come up with the 250 cars per day. Maybe I am wrong on some of this as there was some much info coming my way that I may have misinterpreted some of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:27 AM
80s
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you @Just in time for sharing the experience!
Was it at Leipzig or zuffenhausen? Was it for anyone to attend and how did you book it?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:10 AM
bobbyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be evidence of my belief that Porsche will produce the GT3 in high enough volume such that basically anyone who wants one will get one. No need to worry about allocations and all the other nonsense discussed in other threads.....
Old 06-23-2017, 08:47 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

I came out with the impression that there were several limiting factors some related to the motors others to the cars complexity. Each GT3/RS motor is live bench tested for 30 minutes ( I assume it means dynoed among other things) . All other engines are not, only a few per day are tested. I agree that steps to assembly are all the same but came out with the impression that the time each step takes in different cars is not the same, more complex cars use more time. That is the explanation given as to why the line is a constant mixture of cabs, coupes, boxsters, GT3s etc. He stated the goal was to be able to come up with the 250 cars per day. Maybe I am wrong on some of this as there was some much info coming my way that I may have misinterpreted some of it.
what your saying makes sense, GT3 production may be limited by the time to build the parts/sub assemblies/motors but motor produciton is also a set number of stations however the suppliers may not be able to rapidly produce the sub assemblies. Hot testing each motor would certainly slow the process down, and it would also be a big deal as it would be a return to the "good ole days" At the factory each station has the exact same amount of time, thats the amazing thing, each car in the mix is built in the same amount of time on the factory floor. also keep in mind that the tour guide, if a young person is often a relatively new hire from PR, if you do something like eurodelivery you usually get someone with more experience or even semi retired, like Herr Spannagel from the days of Porsche clubs, I do miss the days when it was so much less "corporate"

Last edited by dark knight; 06-23-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=80s;14274606]Thank you @Just in time for sharing the experience!
Was it at Leipzig or zuffenhausen? Was it for anyone to attend and how did you book it

I went to Zuffenhausen. I booked the tour through a contact at Porsche Motorsports. After having been to the museum however, I developed the impression that the tour can be arranged through the museum. I would suggest advance reservations.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

what your saying makes sense, GT3 production may be limited by the time to build the parts/sub assemblies/motors but motor produciton is also a set number of stations however the suppliers may not be able to rapidly produce the sub assemblies. Hot testing each motor would certainly slow the process down, and it would also be a big deal as it would be a return to the "good ole days" At the factory each station has the exact same amount of time, thats the amazing thing, each car in the mix is built in the same amount of time on the factory floor. also keep in mind that the tour guide, if a young person is often a relatively new hire from PR, if you do something like eurodelivery you usually get someone with more experience or even semi retired, like Herr Spannagel from the days of Porsche clubs, I do miss the days when it was so much less "corporate"
Yes, the tour guide was relatively young, but certainly a car person. You could be right that he may have not have had the insight of a veteran. Something, however, sticks in my mind about his explanation of why the car car mix in the production line was necessary to achieve the 250 per day goal. Maybe it is all related to motors and subassemblies.

Regardless of what I may have missed it was an amazing experience. I would rate it as a highly desirable tour. It would take a full day to combine with the museum tour.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,134 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Right before the tour I took the time to visit the museum. The abundance of important cars is overwhelming, look at this beauty.

That's awesome! I could only afford the matching espresso cups and saucers
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Yesterday I had the chance of doing the factory tour. The tour is fascinating. I was surprised to see how smallish the factory looks in comparison to other car plants I have been to.

While touring (it takes about one hour and 45 minutes ) I saw at least eight GT3s.

Three of those were finished and parked at the exit ramp, apparently ready to be loaded on the transports. A red one (looked like GR), a white , and one that looked like black. On the production line itself I counted another five. One Miami blue with black wheels that was just about to be finished. I think I saw a black or very deep blue with the red stripe while /tire combo that was very close to completion, a guards red one that was in the process of getting the wing installed. Also saw a white one and another black in very early stages of assembly.

I saw all these cars in a little over 100 minutes. The tour guide said the factory is currently working two shifts per day. If I saw so many .2 3s in such a short time to me it means that GT3 production is in full swing.

BTW he indicated Cayman demand is through the roof and they are unable to keep up and have contracted for more parts from vendors to meet demand.

Those waiting will soon see their cars!

An interesting nugget that did I not know about is that of all motors produced each day only a handful are pulled out and tested. He said, however, every single GT3 engine is bench tested. IIRC the test is live and for about 30 mins.

The myth that every car produced is road tested was dispelled. The guide stated only a few cars get to the road per day.
Thanks for sharing
Old 06-24-2017, 12:54 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

if you notice at the factory all the cars are produced in the exact same number of steps over the around 150 or so stations.

A GT car takes no fewer or less assembly stations at the plant.

the exceptions were targas as the roof install is different and RS models with plexiglass windows which took longer to install. i have not seen them but I presume the GT3 rating models that are built on the line would also be anomalies
Took the Zuf tour in May 2016 and our guide was an Engineer who claimed the Turbo 911 had the highest number of parts and stations. I recall hearing that not all cars go to all stations
Old 06-24-2017, 01:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You don't even understand how hard it was to leave... especially when family and friends are there. I am looking for excuses with myself to head back in late summer but as my fiancée works for an employer who isn't herself and doesn't have vacation let over.. she might pre-divorce me. We're going to head up to Lake Tahoe for July 4 weekend and hoping to replicate some of the magic… Lake Tahoe really looks like what Lake Como might have looked like many thousands of years ago before humans started building there
Be prepared for the craziness! I live in the Tahoe area and the 4th is our second busiest holiday as you probably know. I think the backdrop will do fine as a replacement! Name:  2A583176-3EC5-4328-B742-6B2F53370752_zps7wt6zbad.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  337.8 KB Name:  C1B23264-9292-436D-91B6-3CCA2D0F463C_zpswazfglzu.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  306.6 KB
Old 06-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also just visited the factory post Le Mans. Same number of stations (3 minutes, 4 seconds per station) for all cars being made with the exception of the Cup car, which is taken aside for only a couple of guys to do most of the work. There was one Cup being worked on while we were there but they only do 150/year. When there is no Cup being built, those guys fall back into the standard assembly line. There were plenty of GT3s (no special colors) being put together on our day as well - numbers should be healthy if they continue at that rate.

We were given the story that the mix of cars on the line at the same time is all about variation and worker satisfaction. Given that 150 new workers come in at the junior levels per year (of 10000 applicants), virtually nobody leaves before retirement, and every person in the factory was given a €6000 bonus last year, and the buzz around working there that I hear from family who live locally, I think I believe it.

I'm wary of the "kool-aid" effect, but I was mightily impressed by the whole show. Our guide was also very young but clearly a fanatic (his brother has an RS 4.0), and doing this part-time while a full-time engineering undergraduate student.

Strongly recommended...
Old 06-24-2017, 11:08 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Be prepared for the craziness! I live in the Tahoe area and the 4th is our second busiest holiday as you probably know. I think the backdrop will do fine as a replacement!
I know the area well, and I'm in love with Tahoe as I'm sure you are. I'm having fiancée drive up the wagon with bicycles on top, and I'm going to grab one of my motorcycles so we have something to get around traffic with while we are there. I will come prepared :-). We'll be staying st a house in truckee and not moving much I think.

Quick Reply: The factory is churning GT3s in spades!