Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   .2GT3 mechanical LSD info - 6MT (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/995871-2gt3-mechanical-lsd-info-6mt.html)

Mvez 06-20-2017 01:47 AM

.2GT3 mechanical LSD info - 6MT

Instead of speculating on what the value of my car will be 10 years from now, I'd rather discuss much more important topics like......the old school mechanical locking LSD in the .2 GT3.

Will it just be a 911R LSD, or perhaps more of a Cup LSD? Are we dealing with something still like the 997 generation LSD's in terms of friction materials, etc. etc. ? Because those sucked frankly, and I haven't heard anything about the 911R LSD. Given the 911R's "street car" marketing, then perhaps the locking factors (ramp angles) for the GT3 would be more aggressive, if they went that route. They did upgrade the 6MT units (in both the GT4 and GT3), now with self adjusting pressure plates, dual disc clutches, etc., so one would think they would also apply some needed attention to the LSD's too.

I'm looking forward to experts like Guard and others chiming in. ;) I would imagine they were pleased with Porsche's change of heart, because now they get to sell LSD upgrades to GT3 nuts like us.

montoya 06-20-2017 02:32 AM

I don't understand why they are making this retrograde move other than if the firmware for the e-diff is imbedded in the PDK controller. In which case it is hard to justify a stand alone controller development for a car that will not account for more than 30% of global sales of a very limited model. In any case what this really says is Porsche doesn't expect and will not equip the manual GT3 to challenge the PDK variant on the track, no matter how skillful the driver with a manual.

Mr Fish 06-20-2017 07:06 AM

The manual doesn't use the e-diff because the e-diff needs the hydraulic feed from the PDK which of course it doesn't have... hence a normal LSD..

GrantG 06-20-2017 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mvez (Post 14267009)
Will it just be a 911R LSD, or perhaps more of a Cup LSD? Are we dealing with something still like the 997 generation LSD's in terms of friction materials, etc. etc. ? Because those sucked frankly, and I haven't heard anything about the 911R LSD. Given the 911R's "street car" marketing, then perhaps the locking factors (ramp angles) for the GT3 would be more aggressive, if they went that route.

The locking ratios have been published (forget the numbers), and they are more aggressive both on acceleration and braking than the ones published for the 911R. But, I have no information about whether or not the internals are any different/better than 911R and/or 997 GT3.

CAlexio 06-20-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG
The locking ratios have been published (forget the numbers), and they are more aggressive both on acceleration and braking than the ones published for the 911R. But, I have no information about whether or not the internals are any different/better than 911R and/or 997 GT3.

Did the diff on the 997 GT3 wear out under normal street and occasional track use?

GrantG 06-20-2017 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 14267059)
I don't understand why they are making this retrograde move other than if the firmware for the e-diff is imbedded in the PDK controller. In which case it is hard to justify a stand alone controller development for a car that will not account for more than 30% of global sales of a very limited model. In any case what this really says is Porsche doesn't expect and will not equip the manual GT3 to challenge the PDK variant on the track, no matter how skillful the driver with a manual.

They could use a small electrically driven hydraulic pump if they wanted (they should also connect it to the steering, while they're at it ;) ), but they opted not to. With regard to challenging the PDK-S performance: Since the manual is only 3 seconds slower over the 13 mile Nordschliefe, I'd say there is minimal performance compromise to the mechanical diff (assuming it lasts for awhile)....

GrantG 06-20-2017 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CAlexio (Post 14267653)
Did the diff on the 997 GT3 wear out under normal street and occasional track use?

Evidently...

Jimmy-D 06-20-2017 01:39 PM

This was the first question I raised when the Manual was announced that if they beefed up the Diff for the 991.

Will be interesting to learn if any one has this data. Would be silly if they did not address this

rosenbergendo 06-20-2017 01:57 PM

My 997 GT3's diff went out from track use and many of them did. Guard has an LSD upgrade that a lot of people did.

Mika911 06-20-2017 03:25 PM

This is definitely the most pertinent question with regards to the MT. From what I understand of the ediff on the PDK cars, it makes a big difference. So by definition, the MT should lack in this area. Journos are still raving though, so either that's rose tinted glasses or Porsche once again found a secret recipe. Would love to try two cars back to back on a track with tight corners and lots of space.

Mvez 06-20-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 14267635)

Sweet, that's good news. While it's never going to be "race car" locking factors, as it has to be well mannered on the streets and in wet conditions, hopefully the materials used this time will be more robust than the 997 internals.

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 14267657)
They could use a small electrically driven hydraulic pump if they wanted (they should also connect it to the steering, while they're at it ;) ), but they opted not to. With regard to challenging the PDK-S performance: Since the manual is only 3 seconds slower over the 13 mile Nordschliefe, I'd say there is minimal performance compromise to the mechanical diff (assuming it lasts for awhile)....

Yeah, that's something kind of similar to what BMW did with the mechanical LSD on the E92 M3 6MT, before they switched to E-diff for F80's. It detects wheel speed differentials, and then activates the hydraulic pump to begin locking the LSD (up to theoretical 100%). So while it does offer variable lock, in reality and practice on track, it's quite lacking, as it is always "behind" the driver, meaning when you want it to lock, it's always one step behind waiting for the hydraulics to lock the diff. Plus there is not lock on deceleration. The fixed rate LSD's are much superior to this type of setup, for performance driving. I'm actually glad they stuck with the old school setup.

Not to mention, for long-term ownership, replacement and service costs should be less in theory as well (same goes for the 6MT tranny).

Mvez 06-20-2017 05:19 PM

Found it the data......

.2GT3: 30% on power, 37% on decel
911 R: 22% on power, 27% on decel

and simply for reference....

997 GT3: 28% on power, 40% on decel

Looks like they did give it considerable more locking than the R. Now look forward to seeing info on the internals. :corn:

GrantG 06-20-2017 05:24 PM

:thumbup:

996FLT6 06-20-2017 05:32 PM

Quite a few 997 gt3's when the stock lsd internals fried they went with a 60/40 set up for track even to 80/50 lockup. Stock 996 gt3 stock is 60/40. Hopefully it's not the pos brass internals inside lsd. Mike

Mvez 06-20-2017 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 996FLT6 (Post 14268487)
Quite a few 997 gt3's when the stock lsd internals fried they went with a 60/40 set up for track even to 80/50 lockup. Stock 996 gt3 stock is 60/40. Hopefully it's not the pos brass internals inside lsd. Mike

Yep, I went 40/60 Guard ramps on my 7.1RS. Hopefully the ramps and clutch pack can simply be replaced inside the stock housing, like it was on the 997's. That was big cost savings and huge convenience, because you could easily re-install the LSD without having to re-shim.

I'm guessing the 991 Cup internals can also be used, like on the 997's as well, which would be another nice option. A lot of guys really liked the 997 Cup LSD setups.....it didn't seem to have quite the longevity of the Guard, but the performance was very good too.