Sponsored by:

.2GT3 mechanical LSD info - 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 11:42 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
I don't understand why they are making this retrograde move other than if the firmware for the e-diff is imbedded in the PDK controller. In which case it is hard to justify a stand alone controller development for a car that will not account for more than 30% of global sales of a very limited model. In any case what this really says is Porsche doesn't expect and will not equip the manual GT3 to challenge the PDK variant on the track, no matter how skillful the driver with a manual.
Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, so the e-diff reduces the locking in order to brake the inside rear wheel on corner entry (without reducing the locking of the LSD, the braking would also be transferred to the outside rear wheel).

There's some info here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...-ptv-ptv-plus/
Thanks for making the point of my first post.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The mechanical diff is basically Porsche cheaping out on parts again.
Yes, but more complicated than just a parts choice. It's a choice of further development that limits the parts- i.e., they don't want to do the R&D to change the firmware for the E-Diff, OR the controller is gone with the PDK where the E-Diff firmware resides.

Originally Posted by mooty
both
Yep. Diff material might as well have been made of paper towels. Anyone tracking seriously upgraded, like myself, to a gaurds diff.

(I quoted myself because you are all lazy bastards and don't read the whole thread- LOL!)
Old 12-25-2017, 03:44 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Bumping this thread. Anyone learned more about the internals of the .2 6MT LSD?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Time to bump this thread. After starting to dial in my setup with stiffer suspension, and full monoballs everywhere, I feel like the car could use a tad more LSD lock on decel (and a bit more on power).

The car does seem to have some slight "tail wag" now under some heavy braking conditions, especially on stickier tires. Anybody else starting to notice this?

I had stopped by the Holinger booth at PRI to see if they or Drexler has anything in the works, similar to how Holinger released their gearsets for the GT4 a few years back. They told me this 6-spd is a brand new design that won't work with any existing products, so it would be a development project, but they were supposedly going to look at it.

Guard told me they have no current plans to offer anything. Bummer, since 50% of the GT3's in the USA are 6spd, and will eventually need an upgrade similar to the told tried-and-true 40/60 Guard setups for the 997's. Upgrading the ramps and/or friction rings in the stock housing would be most ideal, just like we used to do on 997's. Its was very cost effective and easy to re-install, as it didn't require any shimming, or measurements. No need to buy an entire housing, as the stock one should be just fine.

Hopefully somebody will get their hands on a 6spd box soon to see what can be "upgraded". Definitely an untapped market!

Last edited by Mvez; 07-02-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Did the diff on the 997 GT3 wear out under normal street and occasional track use?
yes

but it is very easy to upgrade it....I have a 997.2 cup dif in mine
Old 07-02-2019, 10:09 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
The car does seem to have some slight "tail wag" now under some heavy braking conditions, especially on stickier tires. Anybody else starting to notice this?
Yes, it's definitely there. Didn't notice anything similar in the Carrera.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:48 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

would the 991.2 cup diff not be compatible with the manual gt3? Ramp angles might be a bit high i guess for a street car though.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
would the 991.2 cup diff not be compatible with the manual gt3? Ramp angles might be a bit high i guess for a street car though.
That is a totally different transmission and setup, so it isn't possible.

The LSD upgrade for the GT4 was easy because it utilized an already known unit, so Guard was able to offer one quickly. For the GT3 it will require one of these manufacturers to get their hands on a 6-spd LSD/gearbox and develop something, either new or from existing parts.

Nobody knows for sure until somebody cracks one open. It will come, the question is when?

Quick Reply: .2GT3 mechanical LSD info - 6MT