Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The *Official* "Totally OT, but too cool not to post anyway" thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Here is a bike I've been building for 3+ years.
Amazing! You do any of the machining work yourself?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Amazing! You do any of the machining work yourself?
I did some of the aluminum work, until I realized that my level of workmanship was barely at apprentice level.. so then j hired a guy and paid him to fix my work.. then I gave up as it was expensive and time consuming and was just doublework Anyway. I separated motor from frame and back.. but a lot of stuff is just beyond me. Getting swingarm to work with engine block, bypassing immobilizer , the electrics.. a lot I just don’t know and don’t have time for.

Past year it’s been in the hands of two different people as I kept running into obstacles. Found someone to make the titanium exhaust for me to my design and specs... now I have an ex-Arlen Ness mechanic (and original Victory motorcycles designer) finishing her.. all the little things which I don’t have time to do.. we got her running for the first time last night... now she’ll get disassembled for paint.. entire thing gets painted including frame.

First time starting her last night with the titanium exhaust we built

https://youtu.be/zHK2sO6fH6g
Old 10-06-2017, 09:25 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

I did some of the aluminum work, until I realized that my level of workmanship was barely at apprentice level.. so then j hired a guy and paid him to fix my work.. then I gave up as it was expensive and time consuming and was just doublework Anyway. I separated motor from frame and back.. but a lot of stuff is just beyond me. Getting swingarm to work with engine block, bypassing immobilizer , the electrics.. a lot I just don €™t know and don €™t have time for.

Past year it €™s been in the hands of two different people as I kept running into obstacles. Found someone to make the titanium exhaust for me to my design and specs... now I have an ex-Arlen Ness mechanic (and original Victory motorcycles designer) finishing her.. all the little things which I don €™t have time to do.. we got her running for the first time last night... now she €™ll get disassembled for paint.. entire thing gets painted including frame.

First time starting her last night with the titanium exhaust we built

https://youtu.be/zHK2sO6fH6g
Now that is a project... All the work and hurdles on the way make it that much sweeter. It looks and sounds great. I have a feeling this will be a keeper. Enjoy!

Edit: got to paint it in your favorite Porsche PTS color.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by gago1101
Now that is a project... All the work and hurdles on the way make it that much sweeter. It looks and sounds great. I have a feeling this will be a keeper. Enjoy!

Edit: got to paint it in your favorite Porsche PTS color.
Haha yes I will do my own PTS... and I won’t have to ask for “feasibility approvalâ€. Right now it’s not painted at all, and the frame is not the color it will be:

-the trellis frame from front to back will be nickel plated
-the aluminum sheetmetal will be dark blue on the convex areas, and just clearcoat aluminum on the concave ones
-some very mild red pinstriping in key locations.

And yes... when you design and build your own Frankenstein.. it’s definitely a keeper.. also because no one else will ever want it LOL!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Haha yes I will do my own PTS... and I won’t have to ask for “feasibility approvalâ€. Right now it’s not painted at all, and the frame is not the color it will be:

-the trellis frame from front to back will be nickel plated
-the aluminum sheetmetal will be dark blue on the convex areas, and just clearcoat aluminum on the concave ones
-some very mild red pinstriping in key locations.

And yes... when you design and build your own Frankenstein.. it’s definitely a keeper.. also because no one else will ever want it LOL!
Too much detail work to picture what it will look like in my mind, but I'm sure it will look great. Make sure to post some pics when done.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Great build, exhaust sounds excellent, racy and raw. Know about this show? Revival Cycles puts on a great event, lots of bikes from either coast.

https://revivalcycles.com/pages/the-...builders-bikes
https://revivalcycles.com/pages/the-...-cuatro-videos
Old 10-17-2017, 01:49 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default German "look how amazing our tech is" video

a fantastic porshce promo video of the gran turismo e sport hybrid, a conductor with a bionic hand, and the lego technic 911.. not to mention that awesome gt3r from 2010 with the kers system.

it's basically a german "look how amazing we are video".. i'm cool with that.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

Pics of Blue Angels never get old. Taken with Canon EOS1d 300mm F4.0

Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Saw this last night before bed.. i was giggling like an idiot. This is Niki Lauda explaining what it felt like to get high on weed for the first time and how it brought him back to his accident.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's one unique dude.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

He's a serious man....
He must have hit some nice sativa, for that flash back to occur..
Old 10-30-2017, 03:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

When I was 17 or 18, I went on a date with a slightly older woman, a friend of a friend I met at a party with parents. She gave me her number, ballsy, almost predatory move come to think of it.. and I’m forever grateful to her for it. I took it and mustered up the courage to call her a few days later. she invited me to dinner.. I told my parents I was going out with the guys.

She picked me up in a dark blue diablo. It was an early model, 2wd, with the ugly doubledecker Dash and no power steering. she smoked cigarettes with a mouthpiece like cruella Deville and drove like her too. Her father was some low level mob boss in my town, and we parked at his restaurant blocking traffic, half way up on a curb.

The next morning I missed my flight back to the USA because i didn’t hear the alarm clock.. but it didn’t matter as it was sept 11, 2001 and the flight from Milan got diverted to Canada or somewhere. I spent almost a week with her waiting for flights to USA resume.

Since then, The diablo has stayed in my mind as the ultimate poster car, even though it’s really just the bastard child of a tractor and a go-kart, with the driving dynamics to match, but looks to die for.

Today, almost 20 years later... on A random Monday morning before sunrise, I went for a drive with a friend. A few of his cars needed “exercising†so a diablo 6.0, very late model.. and a track-prepped 993tt were chosen to run on coastal roads up hwy 1.

early breakfast. discussions of blockchain, politics, dominance of amazon and the beauty of women occurred. Memories of that old blue diablo and everything which went with it filled my senses.

Any week which starts like this is bound to be a good one. I wonder if that old blue diablo is still around, I wonder what she looks like today...
Attached Images         
Old 10-30-2017, 06:53 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you have us wondering too. Great start indeed...
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

No Mrs Robinson moments to share but did stumble upon this whilst holidaying in NYC a few weeks ago.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:16 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The *Official* "Totally OT, but too cool not to post anyway" thread