Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many days per year do you track your 991 GT3 or RS?
16.31%
1 to 5
24.82%
6 to 10
23.40%
11 to 15
12.06%
16 to 20
13.48%
21 to 30
7.09%
31 to 40
1.42%
41 to 50
0.71%
Over 50
0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

How Much Do You Track Your 991 GT3 or RS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mine's doing fine..
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Not if it's a GT car.
I think he meant the owner has capitulated and moved to a purpose-built track car, not that the car has broken down.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Yes, thank you. No pun intended.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM
John Elliot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Three times this week
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 AM
tono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I count days as I don't do many DE's anymore. I am a member at Spring Mountain and usually do 1 or 2 days there a couple of times a year. Thermal is really close to home (SD to Thermal in about 2 hours). That's usually good for 2-3 more days. I look forward to joining the Rennlist crew at BW one of these days. Wish I had more time!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another interesting poll would be number of days "on the clock" Vs "off the clock" the former delivers a lot more wear and tear than the latter.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by tono
I count days as I don't do many DE's anymore. I am a member at Spring Mountain and usually do 1 or 2 days there a couple of times a year. Thermal is really close to home (SD to Thermal in about 2 hours). That's usually good for 2-3 more days. I look forward to joining the Rennlist crew at BW one of these days. Wish I had more time!
You should come out to BW in Nov with PCA San Diego.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

I race, so I don't track my street cars.

0 Track Days

16 Race days so far this year.

30+ Race days last year including the Run Offs.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Interesting poll responses, particularly the slightly bimodal distribution with a little dip in it.

For those of you who don't track the car much (or at all), why not? Don't track much generally? Desire to preserve the car or its market value? Cost of going to the track? Prefer to track a faster, safer, cheaper, and/or track-only car?

For those of you who track the car a lot, are you happy with it as a track car? Do you expect to continue tracking it a lot in the coming years?

Though I haven't gotten to the track as much as I wanted lately, I'm generally in the category of tracking it a lot, and that was my intention in buying it. I don't know of any other car which meets these criteria:

- Reliably handles lots of track days, driven hard, without needing mods beyond track pads and fluid.

- Comfortable for driving to and from the track. I've tried trailering, and prefer not to deal with the hassle if I can avoid it.

- Without needing to change tires, fast enough to hang with most cars in the top run group, and sometimes the fastest car in that group. Though many have tweaked the setup, the car appears to deliver pretty much its full performance without any need to change the factory setup.

- Fun to drive on track. Some crave manual, but I prefer PDK on track (in manual mode, I gave auto another try recently and didn't like it). But recently tracking a track-prepped S2000 reminded me that there are much cheaper ways to have lots of fun on track (albeit slower).

- Reasonably safe on track (I have a roll bar and harnesses), though I do sometimes wonder if it's a good decision to be going so fast without full race car safety systems.

- Tolerable cost to track it, though it's on the expensive side (particularly tires).
Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

^ agreed with Manifold. I bought the car for the track and the ability to drive it there and back comfortably with the wife and luggage. I trailered for a few years and don't miss it. The drive to Sebring is about 2 hours and the wife always comes. It works great for a weekend. Even with a harness cage, there is enough room for soft luggage and track essentials. The only draw back is more frequent tire replacement and higher mileage on the car. Plus I enjoy the time behind the wheel versus our tow vehicle. Heading to VIR and WGI in few weeks, so I will trailer there and back, but normally I drive the GT3.

I enjoy the car's balance of power, handling and ability to keep up with most of the track dedicated cars. My track buddies trailer and have dedicated 993/996 race cars which seem to have a lower running cost for tires and brakes plus less invested cost. They try to persuade me to sell the GT3 but I prefer the freedom of not trailering. It is a great dual purpose car.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Interesting poll responses, particularly the slightly bimodal distribution with a little dip in it.

For those of you who don't track the car much (or at all), why not? Don't track much generally? Desire to preserve the car or its market value? Cost of going to the track? Prefer to track a faster, safer, cheaper, and/or track-only car?

For those of you who track the car a lot, are you happy with it as a track car? Do you expect to continue tracking it a lot in the coming years?

Though I haven't gotten to the track as much as I wanted lately, I'm generally in the category of tracking it a lot, and that was my intention in buying it. I don't know of any other car which meets these criteria:

- Reliably handles lots of track days, driven hard, without needing mods beyond track pads and fluid.

- Comfortable for driving to and from the track. I've tried trailering, and prefer not to deal with the hassle if I can avoid it.

- Without needing to change tires, fast enough to hang with most cars in the top run group, and sometimes the fastest car in that group. Though many have tweaked the setup, the car appears to deliver pretty much its full performance without any need to change the factory setup.

- Fun to drive on track. Some crave manual, but I prefer PDK on track (in manual mode, I gave auto another try recently and didn't like it). But recently tracking a track-prepped S2000 reminded me that there are much cheaper ways to have lots of fun on track (albeit slower).

- Reasonably safe on track (I have a roll bar and harnesses), though I do sometimes wonder if it's a good decision to be going so fast without full race car safety systems.

- Tolerable cost to track it, though it's on the expensive side (particularly tires).
I don't track mine much, I clicked 1 to 5 days which ideally would be 0 if stuff didn't break on my track car. For me the biggest deciding factor was safety once my son was born (he's 3).

I like having a track ready car as it gives me a backup option for a session or 2 if something is broken. Last time my ABS system went after 3 sessions, but I had my 570S at the track so decided against tracking it and being stuck there...
Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
^ agreed with Manifold. I bought the car for the track and the ability to drive it there and back comfortably with the wife and luggage. I trailered for a few years and don't miss it. The drive to Sebring is about 2 hours and the wife always comes. It works great for a weekend. Even with a harness cage, there is enough room for soft luggage and track essentials. The only draw back is more frequent tire replacement and higher mileage on the car. Plus I enjoy the time behind the wheel versus our tow vehicle. Heading to VIR and WGI in few weeks, so I will trailer there and back, but normally I drive the GT3.

I enjoy the car's balance of power, handling and ability to keep up with most of the track dedicated cars. My track buddies trailer and have dedicated 993/996 race cars which seem to have a lower running cost for tires and brakes plus less invested cost. They try to persuade me to sell the GT3 but I prefer the freedom of not trailering. It is a great dual purpose car.
Basically exactly the same w/o the wife joining me. Track ready car that is street legal. Can handle the punishment and still has AC for the ride home
Old 06-15-2017, 11:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I saw this on FB last night:

Facebook Post

It's like the guys who show up at the gym and make excuses about how they 'just want to tone' and not get big. LOL
Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I will track and can't wait!

Last edited by mass27; 08-27-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

^ mass27, no disagreement with any of the above, and no intention on my part to judge anyone's decisions.

A question though: if someone's making $200K/year, is it a good value to spend $150K on a car which will surely depreciate, even if not driven? FWIW, on the road, I enjoy my 997 more than the GT3, and the 997 can be bought used for under $50K and then it won't depreciate much after that.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Job. Lol.
PRIORITIES.
I aspire to be like mooty.

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Track Your 991 GT3 or RS?