Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What purchase history gives you the clout to order a new GT car from your dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:28 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mc21
The dealership I'm getting my 991.2 GT3 from I have never purchased a car from. That said, I have gave them a deposit for a GT4 in 2015 but they couldn't get me an allocation. This time I've traded in my GT4 for the .2 GT3 allocation with them.
Trading in a desirable vehicle probably helps a lot.

Jim
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jas49503
It seems like the most fair way to proceed to me. if you are really that loyal of a customer you would have your deposit in early. There are many die hard Porsche fans who can't afford to buy a new Porsche every other month. there is no reason that they should be shut out of the opportunity to purchase a special edition if they are otherwise doing everything they should be doing (i.e. paying attention and getting their deposit in early). Otherwise it's just pay to play and no different than paying dealer mark up which seems to be condemned by the same people that say it's not right to sell cars to folks who haven't bought a dozen or so cars in the recent past.

it's not like Porsche needs help selling GT cars. it doesn't matter how many you've bought in the past as they are selling every single one of them before they're built. now if you are helping take all the crap models that just sit on the lot then you'd have an argument for special treatment.
the order of deposit taken doesnt work.
some of us dont do deposit, we park moeny there permanantly. like from 15 years ago.... and it's 5 figures. that didnt get me very far. i suppose some parked 6 figures with them
Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the order of deposit taken doesnt work.
some of us dont do deposit, we park moeny there permanantly. like from 15 years ago.... and it's 5 figures. that didnt get me very far. i suppose some parked 6 figures with them
X0000$ would not get you far even with Toyota. X00000$ for Porsche is just...
Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apolo1
I have been buying Porsche Product for the past 35 years. The list of cars that I have owned over this time is to long to list. Each and every one has been put back into the supplying dealer, when it comes to change.

As an example I have brought the Following over the past 24 Months.
3 X Cayenne's , both LHD and RHD
2 X 991 Targa
3 x 991 Turbo S
1 Macan
2 x 991 GT3, LHD and RHD
1 x 991 R.
1 x 991 GT3RS
1 x GT4
1 x 991.2 GT3 on order
1x 991.2 GTS PTS on order.

I currently own 6 Porsche cars

Despite owning 19 X 911 Turbo cars over the past 35 years, this in addition to all the other 911s, Boxsters, Cayenne's GT cars etc I am still awaiting confirmation that I can have a 991 Turbo S LE. Even after placing an order last Nov.
There can't be many better Turbo customers than you, never mind the rest of your purchases. Something is wrong if there's even a hesitation about getting you a Turbo S Exclusive.

Dealer/Porsche should be thankful that they have someone who keeps spending lots of money on what have been traditionally depreciating cars, not just GT ones.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

visited a nearby town from my area and the dealer won't take deposit on either .2 gt3 or .2 gt4 because they are not allowed to sell gt cars to another city/town that is 50km away. any thoughts on this excuse?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
visited a nearby town from my area and the dealer won't take deposit on either .2 gt3 or .2 gt4 because they are not allowed to sell gt cars to another city/town that is 50km away. any thoughts on this excuse?
They are hoping to guarantee themselves your service business or repeat business.

Just quote them a different address in that town or get a local PO box.. find a friend who lives there and send your mail there. play their game, EFF 'EM!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Mooserds
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche discourages its dealers from selling out of their market area. Some abide by this and others don't care. Given the low allocations and wait lists in pretty much every market for GT cars, they can easily use this excuse when an out of area buyer approaches them for a GT car. You might have gotten a different answer if you were buying a base car out of their inventory. My dealer gets daily email inquiries from out of towners asking to get a GT3 allocation. Unless that buyer has a significant history with the dealer, they just get told the chance of getting an "oversubscribed" vehicle like a GT3 from them is not likely.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

CAlexio is spot on.. dealerships want to service the vehicles, that's how they eat..
Old 06-14-2017, 02:36 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
CAlexio is spot on.. dealerships want to service the vehicles, that's how they eat..
Have no idea why dealers go crazy (adm) on a few GT cars to **** off the masses. All they have to do is ask the customer to purchase a Pan Am or like car. Factories offer dealers hard to get allocations by making them take more basic inventory.

Dealers could simply pass / apply this method along to the customers - problem is many of us only want the special limited etc car and move on and that's the root of the problem all dealers have to say is buy a less desirable car and you move up the ladder. Porsche now like Ferrari has a long list of customers it's bs especially with the 918 debacle - they should be building relationships food for the future but Porsche screwed that up with the 918 which was a knee jerk reaction.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:04 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche shouldn't treat their customers so bad when they are willing to spend 6 figured on a car. A customer shouldn't have to work so hard in order to spend 6 figured on a car they want either. Honestly, i'm surprised Porsche's customer base hasn't moved on to other brands. Really goes to show that unless sales are impacted they will continue with business as usual.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:07 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Have no idea why dealers go crazy (adm) on a few GT cars to **** off the masses. All they have to do is ask the customer to purchase a Pan Am or like car. Factories offer dealers hard to get allocations by making them take more basic inventory.

Dealers could simply pass / apply this method along to the customers - problem is many of us only want the special limited etc car and move on and that's the root of the problem all dealers have to say is buy a less desirable car and you move up the ladder. Porsche now like Ferrari has a long list of customers it's bs especially with the 918 debacle - they should be building relationships food for the future but Porsche screwed that up with the 918 which was a knee jerk reaction.
Agreed!
I've already signed up for the Mission E, which will replace my current DD.. I believe my brother will be getting a Sport Turismo (I personally love the look).. So even with straight MSRP sales here in Canada, most do buy 2nd, 3rd, 4th or even more cars.. No need for the stupid ADM bs, which is guaranteed to **** of the customer base..
Old 06-14-2017, 03:40 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if there's a handbag forum where all the women talk about what they need to buy from the Hermes store before they can get a Birkin allocation.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:59 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
I wonder if there's a handbag forum where all the women talk about what they need to buy from the Hermes store before they can get a Birkin allocation.
yes. don't ask how I know.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 PM
roburado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Porsche shouldn't treat their customers so bad when they are willing to spend 6 figured on a car. A customer shouldn't have to work so hard in order to spend 6 figured on a car they want either. Honestly, i'm surprised Porsche's customer base hasn't moved on to other brands. Really goes to show that unless sales are impacted they will continue with business as usual.
Yeah. I'm a Porsche fan. I had a 2009 Cayman S, which we felt we had to sell. Now, it's gone. Now, I want a GT car. I'm going to be cross-shopping other brands for sure.

My wife and I have been talking about this type of thing regarding some home-improvement investments we've had to make. Getting people to take your money is sometimes harder than one might expect.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

[QUOTE=randr;14254232]
Originally Posted by Nick

Of course its fair, all you have to do is put down a deposit when you're informed a new model or special edition is available or likely to be produced. You are informed well ahead of the general populace.

Also the vast majority of those that put down deposits early, are often repeat buyers and they have a good understanding of how the line up works e.g. there are those that will have money down on a 992 GT3 etc. There in no mystery.

What I do note is, there are those that seem to think because they have a history of ownership this should allow them to queue jump as and when they please. There are other enthusiasts that may purchase a new model every five years, why shouldn't they get the option to put money down and have the opportunity to own their next Porsche.

If you owned a dealership and had client A who has bought seven cars from you over the past 10 years and client B who has never bought from you walks in the door and says I want to place a deposit on the POSSIBILITY of the 960. You take the money $5000. Three years from now Porsche announces the 960.

Client A and other customers who have purchased several cars express a desire for a 960 allocation. Porsche initially allocates two 960's to your dealership. Are you telling me that as an owner of the dealership your going to give the priority allocation to some guy who put down a deposit three years ago and has NEVER purchased a car from you?

Quick Reply: What purchase history gives you the clout to order a new GT car from your dealer?