Sponsored by:

GT3 Buckets for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
I wouldn't do 17 hours in any kind of seat...

It was a "bucket" list item
Old 06-13-2017, 11:17 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

For Long Distance Road Driving, IMHO Most comfortable Porsche seats for me have been the Base 4 Way seats in my 2014 991-1 GT3. They fit me best (6' 200 Lbs)
Next most comfortable are the 14 Way Seats in my 2010 Panamera S.
Half a step down would be the 18 Way Seats in my 2015 TTS
The LWBS in my 2016 GT3RS were least comfortable and most uncomfortable to get in and out of.
Unless you and your passenger are young and agile and don't mind restricted access to the storage space
behind the seats, I would not get them for Daily or long-distance driving.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:37 PM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
For Long Distance Road Driving, IMHO Most comfortable Porsche seats for me have been the Base 4 Way seats in my 2014 991-1 GT3. They fit me best (6' 200 Lbs)
Next most comfortable are the 14 Way Seats in my 2010 Panamera S.
Half a step down would be the 18 Way Seats in my 2015 TTS
The LWBS in my 2016 GT3RS were least comfortable and most uncomfortable to get in and out of.
Unless you and your passenger are young and agile and don't mind restricted access to the storage space
behind the seats, I would not get them for Daily or long-distance driving.
Thank you. You are the second person rating the 4 way seats more comfortable than the 18 way seats. Could you explain that please? I thought more adjustability with the 18 way seats make them more tailored to body shape and they also have the back support.
I don't track cars but like spirited driving on windy roads on weekends.

Last edited by OG911; 06-14-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
I just did 17 hours in the buckets on my 991.1 GT3 and well I wouldn't do it again.
They are for sure not a 17 hour seat.

drove across country them twice. Not the dream
Old 06-15-2017, 03:16 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by OG911
Thank you. You are the second person rating the 4 way seats more comfortable than the 18 way seats. Could you explain that please? I thought more adjustability with the 18 way seats make them more tailored to body shape and they also have the back support.
I don't track cars but like spirited driving on windy roads on weekends.
Basically------the 18 ways tend to fit a bit tighter across the hips and particularly the shoulders even if the bolsters are fully deflated. However the 18 way adjustment can be useful if you have major back problems.

if not tracking the car as you mentioned and so not getting LWBs, then between the 4 and 18 way seats, this is the decision tree-----

you don't want the 18 ways if you have a very large frame or weight (6ft 3in, 230lbs), you don't want the 4 ways if you have a small frame/very thin (5ft 8in, 160lbs).

You definitely want the 18 ways if you have major back problems, and I don't mean you pulled your back twice in your life, and your back gets sore if you drive for 8 hours.
I mean you have back pain after 30 min of driving, and have significant back issues, including surgery. If in this camp, you likely want the 18 ways for all the extra lumbar adjustment options, and I recommend heated seats as well in that situation.

However if you don't have major back issues and you are of medium build/weight (5ft,11in, 190lbs), then its really a matter of personal fit/comfort as this varies from person to person and you need to find a local GT3 owner and sit in his car for a while, or try a GTS at a dealership as the seats are basically the same as the GT3. (note that both the 4 and 18 way GT3 seats are sports PLUS seats, not the sport seats which is what you find in normal carreras, and the padding is a bit different in the alcantara seats of the GT3 or GTS, so sitting in 99% of carreras will not tell you how your GT3 seats will feel, only sitting in a GT3 or GTS.

BTW- There is a similar discussion on the 991 board, but remember those are sport, not sport plus seats. However, you'll notice many there also favor the 4 ways over the 18 way seats.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9945...4-vs-18-a.html
Old 06-15-2017, 05:53 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Basically------the 18 ways tend to fit a bit tighter across the hips and particularly the shoulders even if the bolsters are fully deflated. However the 18 way adjustment can be useful if you have major back problems.

if not tracking the car as you mentioned and so not getting LWBs, then between the 4 and 18 way seats, this is the decision tree-----

you don't want the 18 ways if you have a very large frame or weight (6ft 3in, 230lbs), you don't want the 4 ways if you have a small frame/very thin (5ft 8in, 160lbs).

You definitely want the 18 ways if you have major back problems, and I don't mean you pulled your back twice in your life, and your back gets sore if you drive for 8 hours.
I mean you have back pain after 30 min of driving, and have significant back issues, including surgery. If in this camp, you likely want the 18 ways for all the extra lumbar adjustment options, and I recommend heated seats as well in that situation.

However if you don't have major back issues and you are of medium build/weight (5ft,11in, 190lbs), then its really a matter of personal fit/comfort as this varies from person to person and you need to find a local GT3 owner and sit in his car for a while, or try a GTS at a dealership as the seats are basically the same as the GT3. (note that both the 4 and 18 way GT3 seats are sports PLUS seats, not the sport seats which is what you find in normal carreras, and the padding is a bit different in the alcantara seats of the GT3 or GTS, so sitting in 99% of carreras will not tell you how your GT3 seats will feel, only sitting in a GT3 or GTS.

BTW- There is a similar discussion on the 991 board, but remember those are sport, not sport plus seats. However, you'll notice many there also favor the 4 ways over the 18 way seats.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9945...4-vs-18-a.html
Thank you my friend. Your opinion and the link you provided are much appreciated. looks like i will build my car exactly like yours, don't worry i am in Australia
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by OG911
Thank you my friend. Your opinion and the link you provided are much appreciated. looks like i will build my car exactly like yours, don't worry i am in Australia
no worries, mate. Glad to help.

Be sure to post some pictures of your car when she arrives.

Quick Reply: GT3 Buckets for daily driving