Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Buckets for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Roadster08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the GT2 Folding in my last Porsche and then the LWB in my GT4, DD both of them and would not bother with a car that did not have the LWB seats. You get used to getting in and out, and with the LWB from either Crazy Eddy or Exclusive Option you don't have to worry too much about the sides getting worn.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM
OG911
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Exactly my thoughts. The GT3 is a car designed for spirited driving whether on The track or public roads. It's not a family car nor a car for casual driving. For that I will use my Range Rover Sport.

I know the LWB will be a pain getting in and out of. But learning how to do so over time makes the task much easier. The LWB look terrific and complete the car. Ordering sofas in the GT3 is like putting a plastic flower on the dash and eliminating the aggressive sound of the exhaust.
Thanks Nick

what you said will influence my decision .. back to buckets. I got 3 months to decide
Old 06-06-2017, 10:08 PM
sdq7
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew the LWB would be hard to get in and out of but the spirit of a GT car is not daily comfort. I wanted a car that looked, felt and drove like it was intended so the LWB was the only option I would consider. That being said, I may not say the same if I were a person that intended on driving it every day. As far as the bolsters, Ed makes a great bolster diaper that matches the seats perfectly and is a great investment to keep them from looking crappy.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:30 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 129 Posts

Wear and getting in / out would not influence my decision (unless you are running errands with 2-3 stops per trip).

What should be the final arbiter is comfort, since for some percentage of people, LWB is painful or uncomfortably upright. And to know for sure, you must sit in them. Joe has it correct. If on the fence, get LWB, you can always trade + cash after the fact.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

This is a nearly impossible question to answer for others.

I thought I wanted LWBS, and almost got them—but went and sat in the 4-way Sport Seat Plus and 981/991 LWBS and, for fun, a 987/997 LWBS the night before my order locked. I liked the old LWBS best, except for the fact I sit too high in them and there is no height adjustment. Like the current LWBS, especially since it can be lowered, but it's too loose on me. So, for my body type, the 4-way Sport Seat Plus held my upper torso in place the best. I also find it to be the most comfortable seat available in a current Porsche sports car at any price—only bettered in Porsche history (for me) by the sport seats of the 1980s and 1990s like the ones in the 959S and 964 RSA. And the 4-way can be had with heat. And it's easy to get into and out of. And I can do very long driving days without a single ache—which I can't say for any of Porsche's other sports car seats. I am told that the current LWBS aren't that much lighter than the 4-way sofas since the LWBS went to electric height adjust, and of course there's the issue of rear interior access in a GT3. But man, do those LWBS look good...and I too like the direct connection they provide along with harness compatibility with airbags, etc.

Which brings us back to…YMMV. The best thing these threads can do is provide those researching this subject with different perspectives and things to think about.

Last edited by stout; 06-07-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:34 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I found a Spyder for sale in AZ in my Price range with a Manual transmission I jumped on it fast. It didn't have the LWB's and at first I beat myself up about not waiting to find one with LWBs but after owning for a year I realize I'm much better off without them. Why? Because I like to take my car out as the Sun is rising on a 40 degree morning and heated seats make that open top drive a pleasure.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I don't like the LWB for track, street, anything other than looks. They're not a comfortable seat. I'm not a rail size wise and they are too wide for me, move around laterally. I was reminded of this driving in a car with them on track this weekend. The back hits the helmet and pushes your head forward in an uncomfortable position, it's worse with a HANS.

:-)

If my number gets called on the 991.2, it will have them, they'll be pulled, put on the shelf, and swapped with a proper Recaro bucket which are MUCH more comfortable.

But, some like, some don't, personal decision really.
... in complete agreement (though I don't find them terribly uncomfortable) ... but will get them as well
Old 06-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I switched my order from buckets to 18-way. At the end of the day, I'll be driving the car and can care less what other people think what seats a GT car "should" have. 4 of the 5 guys I know with buckets in their GT4 absolutely hate it and will not order it again, the other 1 thinks it looks cool but agree it's hard to get in and out.

It's a 991.2 GT3, I don't think anyone will look at it and say "That car is amazing, but it doesn't have buckets." LOL

You can get 2x comfortable Sparco EVO II seats and GMG roll bars for the savings.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
I switched my order from buckets to 18-way. At the end of the day, I'll be driving the car and can care less what other people think what seats a GT car "should" have. 4 of the 5 guys I know with buckets in their GT4 absolutely hate it and will not order it again, the other 1 thinks it looks cool but agree it's hard to get in and out.

It's a 991.2 GT3, I don't think anyone will look at it and say "That car is amazing, but it doesn't have buckets." LOL

You can get 2x comfortable Sparco EVO II seats and GMG roll bars for the savings.
Agree. LWB look cool but are very uncomfortable for me while my 4-way seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car.

No one has seen my car and said" that's not a real sports car because it doesn't have LWBs", and even if they did I wouldn't care as I purchased this car for me, not anyone else.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

You really have to try them and find out for yourself.

For me, the full bucket seats are the most comfortable, followed by the sport bucket seats. Then the 18-way adaptive sports seats plus and 4-way sport seats plus. I find the 14-way and 4- way sport seats horrible.

For me, getting in and out is not an issue. Nor is bolster wear - just don't drag your backside on the bolster! The biggest issue with the FBS is the fact they don't fold forward, making back parcel shelf access a bit harder.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

^ So funny.
  • LWBS: totally comfortable but not a lot of lateral support
  • 4-Way Sport Seat Plus: all-day driving comfort with plenty of lateral support
  • Base 991 seat: comfortable, but not enough lateral support
  • Full 18-way seat: can't seem to get comfortable and I get sore after a while
  • For track work, custom Recaro beats LWBS and 4WSSP.
This is really is a super individual thing.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, sofas akin to seeing a minty, low-mileage 993 Carrera S ticking off all the right options including the Turbo S aero kit... that's a tiptronic.

Buckets, please, thank you.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:18 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ So funny.
wow, I feel they do have a lot of lateral support! (not like Sparco/Recaro put racing buckets but that is not what I want in a DD-track car and certainly more than any other sports car seat I have tried) weird I guess my body shape just "fits" the LWB's. I would buy up extra sets for future cars that won't come with them.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CYKBC
For me, sofas akin to seeing a minty, low-mileage 993 Carrera S ticking off all the right options including the Turbo S aero kit... that's a tiptronic.

Buckets, please, thank you.
Ha. See? Should have added: look great, and add a greater "sense of connection"

But I still prefer the Sport Seats Plus—but I don't like Tiptronic. We humans are funny beasts...
Old 06-08-2017, 03:28 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ So funny.
Hi Stout

Do you think fixed buckets are totally comfortable and 4 way sport seat plus is comfortable with lateral support?

Could you please elaborate on that? I thought The sides are higher with fixed buckets so that will give you lateral support and with that comes discomfort from the restricted space you are in and the lack of adjustibility of seat positions

I am also interested in getting your opinion about 4 way sport seats and 18 way seats... i thought they are exactly the same with more functions with the 18 way seats and also thought 18 way seats are more comfortable

Thanks

Last edited by OG911; 06-08-2017 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: GT3 Buckets for daily driving