991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 front axle lift system

Old 04-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t have it, any haven’t had any issues to date. I did scrape the bottom of the plastic part a little first go into my driveway, but haven’t since. Live and learn!
Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

Another front axle thread....

I have had on my last two GT3s, use it all the time. Some will say the opposite.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry if this has been posted before (I promise, I did search)… Does anyone know the maximum incline (up and down) you can handle without scraping when the lift is up?

Have a 991.2 GT3 coming, and there's an apartment building I'm looking at with a quite tight, slopped garage entrance (about 12°). Would be really annoying to buy a place that I can't get my new car in and out of. : )

Many thanks if anyone knows this.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects
Sorry if this has been posted before (I promise, I did search)… Does anyone know the maximum incline (up and down) you can handle without scraping when the lift is up?

Have a 991.2 GT3 coming, and there's an apartment building I'm looking at with a quite tight, slopped garage entrance (about 12°). Would be really annoying to buy a place that I can't get my new car in and out of. : )

Not sure regarding degrees. But in in Florida, which is flat, never needed the lift before with other GT3 since I lived in a house. Now live in a highrise building, and could not do without the lift, especially by the gate. Even when coming diagonally it almost scrapes with the lift raised....
Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM
pearlwhites
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wished my R8 had it every time I pulled into my driveway so I spec’d it on the GT3. Scraping sounds cause more psychological damage than the option price.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

19.5k miles on my 16 used almost daily, ordered it on my 19.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:40 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it IMO, its a must have for me since I try to drive and use my GT3 for all occasions. I would stress more over whether its worth it to take the car out if I didn't have the lifter, this car sits insanely low to the ground (racecar)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:28 AM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the lift and STILL scrape at the bottom of my driveway. Couldn't imagine not having it.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I consider the lift essential on a GT3 as I’m in NYC. I have the sport suspension on my 991.2 4S and occasionaly wish I had the lift (most of the time it’s totally fine) so will definitely need it on a GT3.

My concern is even with the lift I won’t be able to get the car in and out of this particular building. 😬
Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Buy a spare front spoiler even if you have front axle lift. You WILL need it.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:53 AM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have time tomorrow so if no-one has answered your question by 9am CST, I will post you a reply. But, please help me understand what exactly you are looking for-
1) Approach angle (90 degrees to slope) with lift down and 2) approach angle (90 degrees to slope) with lift raised? Once I have the protractor out and some strings pulled, I can easily measure the max incline and see if 12 percent is doable. Will measure front lip height at each position as well so we will know what size random road debris we can clear....

The nose is just so long and the car so low that the approach angle is going to be shallow; the front tires arrive at the slope too late to assist in many cases- maybe we need a reverse wheelie bar with some rollerblade sized wheels about 6" back from the front lip....

********Edit
Had to solve this tonight- you have an issue. I have one now as well but mine revolves around me starting the car to activate the FAL with my wife asleep 20 feet away.....
Using the approach angle calculation method/calculator on the Race Ramps site; with the FAL down, the approach angle at the leading edge is 7.1 degrees. Activating the FAL and having the car lift 1.75", provides you with an approach angle of 9.9 degrees. The angles are slightly higher on the portion of the lip directly in line with the tires but you will have already buried the leading edge if going straight in. Good luck!

Last edited by 1963SWC; 11-13-2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-13-2018, 12:21 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
Had to solve this tonight- you have an issue. I have one now as well but mine revolves around me starting the car to activate the FAL with my wife asleep 20 feet away.....
Using the approach angle calculation method/calculator on the Race Ramps site; with the FAL down, the approach angle at the leading edge is 7.1 degrees. Activating the FAL and having the car lift 1.75", provides you with an approach angle of 9.9 degrees. The angles are slightly higher on the portion of the lip directly in line with the tires but you will have already buried the leading edge if going straight in. Good luck!
Thank you so very much for your detailed response — Rennlist at it's best.

The way this garage is set up, I'd turning on to the ramp rather than hitting it head on, so it might work, but I suspect it'll be very close based on your numbers. Looking at it again tomorrow, so will try to take more detailed measurements.

PS: Hope you don't wake your wife up.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

The way this garage is set up, I'd turning on to the ramp rather than hitting it head on, so it might work, but I suspect it'll be very close based on your numbers.
Usually approaching at an angle helps quite a bit - good luck!

Old 11-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Thank you so very much for your detailed response — Rennlist at it's best.

The way this garage is set up, I'd turning on to the ramp rather than hitting it head on, so it might work, but I suspect it'll be very close based on your numbers. Looking at it again tomorrow, so will try to take more detailed measurements.

PS: Hope you don't wake your wife up.
Have a Mason come in and do some work for you. And if you say, illegal, no one ever knows if not caught
Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't have it on my GT4 and I would scrap on occasion. I didn't like having to be extra careful and turning into driveways at extreme angles. It already looks douchey enough to some with the wing, so driving slowly at an angle when people are behind you makes it even worse. I have a lift now on my GT3 and use it almost every time I drive. For me it is one of those things that if I didn't have it I would survive, but having it makes life so much easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 front axle lift system