Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 or AMG GT R

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
I find that hard to believe for the AMG GTR, the other amgs yes that is normal.

I have both coming soon.

If I had to choose it would be the GTR and a .2 RS. The .2GT3 will be better than my .1 GT3, but it is not the mystical unicorn everyone on RL is portraying it to be.

The GTR looks better than the .2 GT3 in my opinion (have seen both in person).
Yeah, was going to buy, but I'm on fence about a winged DD.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

GTR

because this is a Porsche board

I'm a Porsche guy, but in my opinion, for the first time ever, AMG is making products that are so damn good... in the past they always had great power plants but lacked in many other ways, feeling, handling, transmission, even design aesthetics, I think the GTS and the GTR are one hell of a lot of kit, especially for the money... I'm definitely getting a GTR... they are superb cars and I don't think the looks even come close, I think the AMG has more presence and it's just beautiful - but then again, that's why there's vanilla and chocolate
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM
speef
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
I did AMG school at road Atlanta 2 weeks ago , and they had GTR there , it looked real good and sounded like a beast
we drove GTS on track and it impressed me more than what I thought it would
my friend has a GTS that I drive occasionally, and I'll be honest , the more I drive it , the more I like it
I second that, after about 10 seconds in the GTS I could not believe I was sitting in a Merc... they have gotten to be so good now. And to think you can get a GTS with very few miles for $100k is hands down the best deal in town.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM
speef
Racer

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Screw value.. Which one gives you wood? -Pick that one.
wise words !
Old 06-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

👌

They're both awesome cars. The look of the AMG is a acquired taste imho.

I believe the GT 3 will provide you a more direct, raw and emotional connection to the car and driving experience. I think the AMG will be a little more disconnected but nevertheless a brute .

if resell value is a concern that would definitely be a strike against the AMG and a concern .
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 PM
speef
Racer

Originally Posted by Waxer
👌

They're both awesome cars. The look of the AMG is a acquired taste imho.

I believe the GT 3 will provide you a more direct, raw and emotional connection to the car and driving experience. I think the AMG will be a little more disconnected but nevertheless a brute .

if resell value is a concern that would definitely be a strike against the AMG and a concern .
interesting, why do you think that? as far as I know there are very few GTRs made than GT3s, no?
Old 06-02-2017, 12:16 AM
speef
Racer

Originally Posted by morjo02
Deciding on 991.2 GT3 or AMG GT R

Provide your feedback......
gt3 is probably the better car, GTR probably the more exciting car and maybe even better looking, with more presence

gt3 will feel faster in the corners, GTR faster in the straights, even though maybe faster overall on track

gt3 more precise chassis and steering feel, GTR perhaps overly assisted steering feel

gt3 more of a precision weapon, GTR more of a hooligan

takes all kinds
Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Which one gives you wood? GT3. Which one looks like wood? GT R.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:51 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually looked at both. I don't really get warm with the design of the GTR, it's exaggerated. Further, the dimensions of the GTR are really not of this world - that might not be issue on US highways, but here in Switzerland, we still have many of these narrow backroads, where a GTR simply does not fit without constant fear that you scrap your mirrors or worse.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:11 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I would get the .2 GT3 - stick to the German NAs while we can still order them (maybe only another 5 to 10 years or even less left). Plenty of time to own FI cars and they'll only keep improving as well.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

As much as I try to like the Mercedes the styling turns my Wood in to Rubber.

Can not function like that
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You always pick a manual over automatic! So the choice is crystal clear!
Old 06-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by speef
interesting, why do you think that? as far as I know there are very few GTRs made than GT3s, no?
I suppose your quesiton is directed at my comment on resale.

AMG are all "limited" production compared with the standard production models. In general AMGs don't do well on resale. Some exceptions but in general not good. Crap shoot with the GTR.

GT3 historically very strong resale.

AMG and GT3/GT3RS have a history as to resale. No question which one has the better history. Crystal clear.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:15 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

AMG are all "limited" production compared with the standard production models. In general AMGs don't do well on resale. Some exceptions but in general not good. Crap shoot with the GTR.

AMG and GT3/GT3RS have a history as to resale. No question which one has the better history. Crystal clear.
I recall this or similar being in a few launch articles, this from the car and driver one:

"Mercedes isn’t talking pricing yet, but expect a base approaching $200,000. Despite its hard-core mien, the GT R will not be a *limited- production run; Mercedes will build as many as it can sell"

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sected-feature

Dealers are simply trying to take advantage of the current car market hysteria. I've seen 1 AMG GT (not sure if S or regular GT) on the street so far, I'm guessing they're not selling many.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think you can lump all AMG badged cars together. This car is AMGs second car that follows SLS. Some suspension changes in rear, but same platform.

Can't argue with resale on PGT cars although it will be interesting when warranties run out on 14-15s.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 or AMG GT R