Sponsored by:

.2 GT3 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default .2 GT3 Headlights

So I'm playing around on the configurator and am would like to hear some of your input if you think the LEDs are worth it over the standard.

Ideally I would want the Bi-Xenon in Black with PDLS but I do not see that option. I don't really care for the look of the silver housing. So I would have to do the $2.9k option for the Black LEDs if I wanted that black look.

The PDLS option does seem to have a blacker background compared to the standard but it still has the silver ring around the headlight. Why aren't they offering the PDLS in black like they did with the .1?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Plenty of info on the headlight versions +/-'s. Nick Murray even did a video for what it's worth. Search for the stuff.

As far as options. Just like the .1, they added different choices as the model years progressed. Remember one point, they had LED's but not in black? That was the drama back then. Or no LWB seats?

You have to order what's available when your build is up, or wait and order 6 months or a year later for more options.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,386 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Because they want your money.

This horse has been beaten on another thread
Old 05-31-2017, 08:52 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Because they want your money.

This horse has been beaten on another thread
That too!

Want black? Get LED's. Don't like? Too bad. Next buyer?

That's their take.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

^^ same as i see the things. the only reason can be: To make money. if it is about the black ring around the headlights. you have to go LED.

for me this is the same story as with the yellow calipers...

Why the Xenon PDLS is darker/blacker backround compared to normal Xenon i don´t know. maybe same reason as my first line.

i would spec Xenon PDLS with a black wrap around it.
and save the 2,5k for black LED.
or go normal Xenon and wrap also the headlights. in yellow. (saving 3,5k)
but the LED looks really really nice / transformer like in detail.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

The DRLs on the Xenon look a lot better( by a mile). It gives them depth(3-D-like). The DRLs on the LEDs do not look good in my opinion. Had them on my 991 GT3. Will save Myself ~$2000
Old 05-31-2017, 11:06 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

I may be in a time warp but I could never understand paying several thousand dollars for different headlights. The standard lights are terrific. The marketing department is working overtime sucking people in to spend hard earned dollars to "upgrade" from headlights that are excellent to whatever.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The DRLs on the Xenon look a lot better( by a mile). It gives them depth(3-D-like). The DRLs on the LEDs do not look good in my opinion. Had them on my 991 GT3. Will save Myself ~$2000
It's all subjective.

To me LEDs are the killers. The lighted ring looks so nice when it's darker day.
Also the whole lamp is filled with double LED projectors so as the whole it's functional.
On the other hand Xenon is just a small projector in the middle that is surrounded by not functional plastic. It used to be a reflector in the past and had function as a whole but now it's only plastic for no purpose.
The 4 LEDs on Xenon look like on any other SUV Porsche (or ugly Panamera), LED's ring is unique only to 911s.
LEDs also are so much brighter compared to Xenons (if unrestricted).
The 911 with LED will look more up-to-date for a longer time.
LEDs however don't have that retro touch.
At the end any choice is good.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM
camjan
Rennlist Member

I think I'm leaning towards saving some coin myself and going with the PDLS option and then wrap the ring in black...PDLS in black is what I really want.
Save $2k.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by camjan
I think I'm leaning towards saving some coin myself and going with the PDLS option and then wrap the ring in black...PDLS in black is what I really want.
Save $2k.
What is your exterior color? The problem with black headlights is because of Porsche design they come off looking like a Panda.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
LED's ring is unique only to 911s.
And VW Beetle, and Mini Cooper. I just can't get that "cute round ring" out of my mind--can't unsee.

And if you're going to do a ring, do a proper lit ring, not 4 obvious lights inside the ring diffusing out. Looks outdated.

I believe the LED design is an eyesore with that ring. I wouldn't take it if it was the same price--well maybe, because it does give a bit of an improvment in function. But it's a step back in appearance.

My first choice would be LED lights in black but with the DRL of the Xenons. Second choice would be Xenons with PLDS all in black, which aren't available. 3rd choice I suppose is Xenons with PLDS and figure out how to make them more black aftermarket. I'd happily pay Porsche to get it just the way I want out of the gate however.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ I have same sentiment. But since going w/ Satin Aluminum wheels not necessarily looking to go black on the lights so the Xenon w/ PLDS will just be right. I just can not do Black wheels any more. Have done it on my last 2 cars and need a change. I find myself looking at Sport cars with Aluminum wheels these days. Even if i go GR I really liked the look of the Aluminum wheels on the car Chris Harris was test driving. I guess I am looking for a more retro-look in a contemporary car right now

Maybe next I will start looking for Parachute pants from the 80s
Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Jimmy, I started with silver wheels with GR then after sone study I decided on Black wheels with the GR stripe which offsets the black floater look. Without the accent stripe I probably would have stayed with silver wheels. The colors come together nicely and probably why Porsche decided to introduce the car in that combination.:thumb:

BTW, satin white may be little too much bling for the car.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 PM
camjan
Rennlist Member

YEAA... PDLS IN BLACK GANG...I wish they weren't 2.8k on suncoast
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^Maybe they would give you some sort of credit for the exchange of new ones that are not black

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 Headlights