just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:59 AM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
let you in on my secret: scotch pad with palmolive
I’ll give it a try...lend me some records.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:28 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, here's my bike choices, I've narrowed it down to two. Trek Emonda SLR 9 (possibly disc) or Pinarello F10 XL. Anyone with any experience with these two? Thank you in advance.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Okay, here's my bike choices, I've narrowed it down to two. Trek Emonda SLR 9 (possibly disc) or Pinarello F10 XL. Anyone with any experience with these two? Thank you in advance.
Since it's a value thread , I would suggest Pinarello Dogma f10 disc as it would have a better resale value. I would strongly recommend disc as that is the future. With the newer bikes, there is hardly a weight disadvantage with discs.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Emonda SLR9 owner (and Domane SLR7 as well).

After the Domane (my first real road bike), I wanted something stiffer, sharper, lighter and better handling. I have lower back issues so super aggressive geometry isn't in the cards for me. The Emonda has slightly relaxed geometry compared to other race bikes but still has the shorter wheel base and stiffness I wanted. Add to that, the 13.8lb weight without pedals appealed to the weight weenie in me. I also approached the Emonda the same way I do cars: there are a lot of latest and greatest need to own riders so I searched used. Ended up finding a Project One SLR9 in Viper Green for $4K. It had a couple of small chips but otherwise was perfect. I sourced another one in stock build for a buddy at a similar price after he saw mine. 70% off for a couple of chips works for me (there, I worked in value to the thread!)

I've put a couple thousand miles on the bike before surgery and it is everything i want in a bike (except one thing; I'll get to that): it's sharp but not punishing; It's fast as hell when you stand on it; it's not fatiguing on long rides; it has more road feel without being buzzy over our crappy roads. The ONLY thing I would change to make it the perfect bike would be to add disc brakes (sacrilege!!). I'm not a traditional rim brake lover. I prefer the security of discs especially when dive bombing rides like the back of Hawk Hill or Diablo with 18% grades. The good thing is, they now make that bike too (Emonda SLR8 Disc with Project One avail to add Di2). That's on my radar after I'm back on the bike in Feb.

Happy to chat offline if you have any further questions.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

i would ride both. i have a pinarello and the ride is amazing. i also was looking at the trek and was going to buy it until i rode the pinarello. the trek was much lighter but it was not as smooth as the pinarello. I'm not sold on disk for the road but mountain and cross its a must.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Final ride of 2017. Temps were hovering between 14-16 degrees with strong winds.
Attached Images     
Old 12-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Rode a quick 18 today to wrap up the year

9 degrees; 0 with the windchill. Good stuff.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Pics .zip (3.14 MB, 16 views)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Rode a quick 18 today to wrap up the year

9 degrees; 0 with the windchill. Good stuff.

Major respect!!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

You guys crack me up, well done with the chilly rides. You should recalc your personal windchill based on average speed, bet nizer is well below 0.

Curious what you guys use for winter gear? At those temps probably includes balaclava and lobster claws
Old 12-31-2017, 05:18 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
You guys crack me up, well done with the chilly rides. You should recalc your personal windchill based on average speed, bet nizer is well below 0.

Curious what you guys use for winter gear? At those temps probably includes balaclava and lobster claws
Lots of layers and yes, balacava. No lobster claws but swear by 45NRTH booties and gloves. Cold isn't really the issue; it's all about managing sweat. That's what can do you in when it's really cold.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too much snow cover around my neck of the woods to do any last minute riding. I need some sun to work it's magic.
Thanks guys for the advice on the Trek vs Pinarello comparison's.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes

I invested in some Gore Bikewear gear. It's really amazing stuff. Only wear base layer and Jacket up top and use a Luis Garneau bib tights (tried Gore but preferred LG feel). Don't use lobster gloves, have Gore thermal gloves and booties. Yes, Balaclava is an absolute must. It's amazing how much I sweat underneath. Hands did start getting numb post 1hr which is why I cut it short at 20 miles.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:50 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
Too much snow cover around my neck of the woods to do any last minute riding. I need some sun to work it's magic.
Thanks guys for the advice on the Trek vs Pinarello comparison's.
Bronson, I have the same issue, snow and ice everywhere. I found that they always plow the parks and I always do a recon drive prior to hitting the road on the bike. In severe conditions, I drive to the local park and then do laps in the bike lane. The bike shoulder lane is always plowed so it's much safer. The bad part is that with the parks openness, winds are stronger.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by basil2000
i would ride both. i have a pinarello and the ride is amazing. i also was looking at the trek and was going to buy it until i rode the pinarello. the trek was much lighter but it was not as smooth as the pinarello. I'm not sold on disk for the road but mountain and cross its a must.
Keep in mind, running discs also gives you the advantage of running wider tires. This gives you better aero advantage as well as more comfort. So it's not just a brake upgrade, it's also the additional benefits that come along with disc brakes. One can easily run 28mm tires on a disc bike.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Too icy on roads here to ride and temps single to below with wind chills 15-30 below

As Nizer said layer. Sweat management is usually my biggest issue. Still haven't found the best venting clothing

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches