Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by UT911GTS
Mooty you're not 50 yet? I turned 50 in July and still ride it all. Can clear everything on double down at the Canyons except one gap (first big wood gap after the big dirt drop). Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u5yg235SuI
Nice. Not much margin for error on some of those...
Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts
Default Male Triathletes May Be Putting Their Heart Health at Risk

https://press.rsna.org/timssnet/Medi...et.cfm?id=1981
  • Male triathletes who log too much distance may be at risk for myocardial fibrosis of the left ventricle.
  • Myocardial fibrosis, or scarring of the heart, might lead to heart failure.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

yup. this is a good read for old hard chargers: https://www.velopress.com/books/the-haywire-heart/
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish I could join the conversation about soon to be 50.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy

On cars: I still go out to the local track (MAM) but now mainly with my kids. Lap times are not that important any more. I moded my 997.2 RS on my own. Full RSS suspension, full exhaust, run on BFG-R1 or Hoosier A6 and was obsessed with lap times. Loved to do all the services and mods myself. Then a year ago kinda started to feel like work at the track. My heart rate was already up just going through the gates. Then i started to run my 2010 MX-5, obviously much slower but no expectation attached, no pressure, more fun. Last year I took the Mclaren 650s to the track and after 5 lap (maybe 8) went home for the MX-5. (well the 650s overheated anyway)
Will track the 991.2 GT3 but not going to touch the suspension - alignment only, and a bypass exhaust.
And again i started to like the e63AMG, or a Icon Derelict wagon??
LMAO, i need to start charging for reading this thread. dont u feel this is like psychotherapy?
i did 45 track days a year for many years.
then raced.,
then for 3 year i just didn't "feel" it. i kept buying new track cars and race cars hoping i can like it again.
nope. it feels like work (but unlike you, i iddn't do any WORK, it just felt like work)
in fact, i always do my 100 mile ride the day before track weekend to get my juice flowing (on the bike).
on track, i think of all the food i could have at home and the miles on bike i am missing...
eventually i realized i just dont like track anymore. i like the friends there and the ****ty food too.

next car maybe panny wagon, whatever that thing is called so i can shove the bike inside.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 4ng crcs
mooty u don't need the Caddy yet.
wait til you're on the other side of 70... that is when you discover the Panny 4 is the Buick Roadmaster reimagined by Porsche and enjoy it. 😬
u are enjoying life, i know it.
next time you come to MO (that is not missouri for those dont know. it's M O O T Y ' S O B S S E S S I O N), we should go have lunch at one of the better places on University off stanford Univ
i went with annan when he visited. he was flabbergasted at the volume and speed i inhaled food. he had one bite of his dessert and glared at my EMPTY dessert plate.... "damn, when u say you are fast you werent' kidding".
Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i think some car content needs to be injected.
today it's raining here, so only 17 mile ride and feeling lazy
cleaned up my 1986 cherry (26k miles 100% atock)
then found my kids chevron cars so i put them up in the cave.

oh found mehcanical super record i used on my colnago C50

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
then for 3 year i just didn't "feel" it. i kept buying new track cars and race cars hoping i can like it again.
nope. it feels like work (but unlike you, i iddn't do any WORK, it just felt like work)
This is how I feel, as well, after 10 years of de/racing. Last year racing felt too much like work and I didn't do any work, too. Now in my 13/13 sabatical and during winter it feels just fine -- not missing it nearly as much as I thought I should. Plan was to give it one more go this season and decide, but sometimes think what's the point? And DE makes even less sense (same work, less fun) after racing. Maybe just get a base 981 Boxster for a few top-down back-road drives a week.

Regarding comfy cars and age, using the proper tool for the job never had anything to do with age for me. It never made sense to torture a backroad carver or a street/track car on long highway trips or in stop-go traffic. For the latter, the quieter, smoother, comfier, the better, regardless of your age. For backroads and the track I'll prefer a curve scalpel even after 80.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:17 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think some car content needs to be injected.
today it's raining here, so only 17 mile ride and feeling lazy
cleaned up my 1986 cherry (26k miles 100% atock)
then found my kids chevron cars so i put them up in the cave.

oh found mehcanical super record i used on my colnago C50

You have a beautiful garage/cave!

I have never did any actual car racing. though about shifter kart, but never had the time required to do it. For years, when I was young, I was on call Q2, meaning every second day. I hoped the kids will like it as much as I do. My younger son likes Granturismo and hopefully will like real driving, my older one does not really car about cars. They help me working on the cars but not without prompting and not with much enthusiasm.
One thing I still want to do, is building a kit car. Caterham Super 7 would be my choice, but first I need to reorganize my garage.

Back to bike: I do exercise between cases in the hospital and bike during the weekend and sometimes do a 10 min full effort at home on the trainer as a second exercise for the day.

Someone posted about myocardial fibrosis in triathletes. My problem with these studies that it is difficult to establish real connection due to small sample size. genetics and potentially nutritional factors not tested in the study may contribute. Saying that I am certain that years of extreme exercise is not healthy. I do recommend regular heart rate monitoring for those near or above 50 when they exercise, especially if they experience any arrhythmia.
Truly recommend the Sufferfest videos for indoor bike training!
Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Col of the day.

Gosh, doesn't this look like a blast on a bike or in a fun car?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

A better link to see the video. Watch full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd0Fz9Y3DK8
Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Looks great!! I wish I would live somewhere in the Alps or in the Rockies.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

brian, that's a great video, magnificent climb and view. 8% literally all the way up.... damn. i am not sure i will survive
my worst routine climb is 9 miles oscillates b/n 6% to 11% (only 1/2 miles is > 9%) rest are 6-7%

IRGuy thx for compliment on the cave. i love it there too.

HF1, race another year, if not feeling it, pick up another hobby, bike, cooking, watches, stereo.... who knows. if it doesnt make me happy, i wont do it.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

. if it doesnt make me happy, i wont do it.
Perhaps too philosophical for this thread, but how do you really know what those things are which make you happy vs. being the latest longer-term obsession (like racing for example)?

I'm not sure I can differentiate myself.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ i dont ask Q, i just do it. and if i feel good doing it, then i keep doing it until i dont feel good doing it anymore.

i had a few hobbies
watches
cars
stereo
tracking
i go in full bore until i get bored.
i dont know when or why i get bored. but i know i'll be bored trying to figure that out. so i just move on.

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches