Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Okay here's a question I need to have answered in keeping with cycling. I just added something to my bucket list that hopefully will be achieved next year. Has anyone here on RL tackled the famous Alpe d'huez? If so, any pointers and how you planned your trip...... Mooty? Thank you in advance.
Excellent goal IMO. I would highly recommend going over to ride this epic climb, along with many other cols in the region. For a road cyclist there aren't many other places that evoke the history and passionate tradition of our sport. The cycling culture there is so cool. Guaranteed there will be no better espresso than the one you order at a café in the village after the last bend on D211.

I had the same goal that I was able to fulfil last summer. I booked with a UK based cycling travel company Sport Tours International to do series of events in this area last summer. The series is called Trophee d'Oisans. This was the best week of cycling I have ever had. Was beyond my expectations. I was able to race up the 21 Bends in 3 separate events that week. Here is link for the travel company and if you look under the 'Itinerary' tab there is a description of the events (La Vaujany, Prix des Rousses, Grimpee de L'Alpe, and the famous La Marmotte).
http://www.sportstoursinternational....ophee-doisans/
Old 12-28-2017, 12:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great info Brian. Will definitely check it out.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't ridden now for a couple of years due to cancer treatments, however I have had many bikes. Best all around for me was the Seven as I had it built to fit me and they even alter tubing in the chain stays to customize the ride. Standard was too soft for me and wanted something quicker so they adjusted. Overall ride was excellent.

I also have ridden many carbon and found that they were like riding wood as they had little feel to them. Did a lot of research and found that Time was about the only company at the time that laid up their own carbon and customized the layup to make the bike more lively. This was my last ride and the best carbon I had ever ridden.

For group sets I ran Campy Record.

Note I weighed around 200 to 210 most of the time and would average 15 mph on a double.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:26 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

give us a holler when you move to Bay Area. where about?
plenty of nut cases out here.
Haha will do, looking forward to joining in on some drives and rides to learn about the area. As for exact spot, not sure yet. Still deciding on Peninsula or in the actual city, but with the incoming GT3 I am leaning towards Redwood City
Old 12-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Great info Brian. Will definitely check it out.
I look forward to reading about your plans as they develop.

Col Collective is a site I really have enjoyed over the years. Mike Cotty has put together an outstanding place to explore great climbs. I see now he even has riding tours available. Interesting to read his description of the Alpe d'Heuz climb on his site.

http://thecolcollective.com/col-coll...col/alpe-dhuez
Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

col collective site is addictive. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-29-2017, 12:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been absent from this community for a while so Mooty told me I should check out this thread. It's fun to see the other things that Rennlisters are into so I hope it's not out of place to share a couple of the things that have been distracting me for the past year.

First, new grandson! Note that at 8 months he's already enjoying being at the wheel and is getting his start in a car with the ignition on the correct side.
Second, as I checked out some of the older posts I saw Mooty's reference a few months back to his beautiful GMC with 910 lb/ft of American torque. How about 925 lb/ft of American torque attached to 30' of American made Airstream trailer?!

The brown on the oak trees in the background; torched by the wildfires that ravaged this area in October. It got close to us. Grass is already covering the blackened ground.

Nice to be back!
Old 12-29-2017, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

brian, good info. i will have to wait a few year for the kids to get out the house before i go climb the euro alps.
mike, grandson makes life fun i bet, not that i had real experience. i just know i love my grandparents.
sloopy, seven was / is know for custom builds and make some really nice one's. i had axiom and sola. but. today's latest CF is realy different than even 5 years ago. they damp the bad stuff out and filter the good stuff to your so you can feel it but not the fatigue.
gago, chrisF: i try to not re-lapse into HIGH END. at one point, my hardware cost more than all my RS added together. and the triod, and pure class A Mark Levinson ML2 (3 pairs: that's about 300 lbs) was enough to keep me sweating in boston winder with all windows open and literally in my underwear.... u dont want to know the electical bills... but i have since quit that addiction hahaha

looking forward to Saturday's drive. Chris F remember to take pictures.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:13 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tasman
col collective site is addictive. Thanks for sharing
It sure is. Will be spending some time on this one. Once again, thank you Brian.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
looking forward to Saturday's drive. Chris F remember to take pictures.
Will do. golfnutintib and I are doing a recon, fun run tomorrow to prepare.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

have to skip bacon this time, have kids to shuttle
Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've been absent from this community for a while so Mooty told me I should check out this thread. It's fun to see the other things that Rennlisters are into so I hope it's not out of place to share a couple of the things that have been distracting me for the past year.

First, new grandson! Note that at 8 months he's already enjoying being at the wheel and is getting his start in a car with the ignition on the correct side.
Second, as I checked out some of the older posts I saw Mooty's reference a few months back to his beautiful GMC with 910 lb/ft of American torque. How about 925 lb/ft of American torque attached to 30' of American made Airstream trailer?!

The brown on the oak trees in the background; torched by the wildfires that ravaged this area in October. It got close to us. Grass is already covering the blackened ground.

Nice to be back!
I was wondering where you were. Have always appreciated your insight and contributions, stretching back way before I posted on this forum. My first oil change for the .1 was done by reading your thread.
We also met at a PCA autocross event in Sonoma a few years back, you likely wont remember. Anyways, congrats on having your grandson! I know its awesome just from the fact that it seems my folks love my kids more and do more for them than they ever did for me. I'm not complaining, lol. Are you thinking about getting the .2?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Good to have you back Mike. Congratulations on the grand child. I am looking forward to those days. Glad the fires got no closer to you!

Tal
Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Always great to read some of Mike's posts. Congrats on the grandson. I have a 22 month old grandson and he's very special in my life. Wonderful times!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:33 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Starting to get intrigued by this biking thing. Two main issues that cool me off it is (1) safety on roads that are ever more crowded by distracted drivers and (2) what do you guys think about on these multi-hour bike rides? Do you enjoy the views or savor the pain and torture as you push for higher numbers on the fitness tracker, or both? Oh, and a 3rd one: Does the seat/position affect blood-flow to the boys/tools down there over long periods of time, or is this just FUD bs? Honestly ignorant here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches