Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
I see those frogs, just in case you cyclocross thru a bog? great pedals.

what are you guys using for a powermeter on those SW cranks?
use for both road and MTB. don't want to deal with different systems and froggers are the only pedals I've found that don't transmit rotational resistance to the knee. plus, they're wicked light and easy to rebuild.

Quarq has new unit for SW: https://www.quarq.com/product/quarq-...ytk72nyoqdsh9t

most of the guys who are deep into powermeters still prefer SRM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
use for both road and MTB. don't want to deal with different systems and froggers are the only pedals I've found that don't transmit rotational resistance to the knee. plus, they're wicked light and easy to rebuild.

Quarq has new unit for SW: https://www.quarq.com/product/quarq-...ytk72nyoqdsh9t

I'm way deep into power meter, i just love having that metric to help push me, its probably the top 1 , 2 thing you can buy to help get stronger. like trying to get stronger lifting weights without knowing specifically what weight you are putting up. you feel incredible , well rested, the normal weight you struggle with goes up easy. most , dont push to the next level, they sort of stick there. or, you're dehydrated, a bit tired, and normal weight feels horrible...so you check down when you mgith have been able to stick the right weight. power meter tells you exactly the power you're putting out. and if you're feeling great, you can notch it up that 3,4% and reach fo another level without going too far either. and if you're feeling off, you know it, it sucks, but atleast you can dig in, bite your teeth and hand . and riding off perception or heart rate is tough for that very reason also. if you're dehydrated, your heart rate could be either overly elevated or if tired, sluggish. so if you based your 'effort on heart rate, thats like guessing the weights you put up in the gym based on heart ate. or if you are doing 1min, 2 minute climbing intervals, your heart rate rarely adjusts quick enough to use heart rate. a power meter is the only way to truly measure what you're putting out.

the smr is hands down the best. sorry . ive been around all this stuff for years, teammates with various stuff. years ago SRM was like 3800 for the crank, was stupid priced. and then with the new stuff like pioneer, quarq, and the newly announced shimano power meter (not even close to being ready for the public just yet)...srm cut prices. i dont know if they have a spider with the integrated strain guages/power meter for the new specialized crank, whic is basically a ripoff of a Rotor 3d+ crank. (and awesome!)...but at like 1300 retail, i think you can get a srm or dura that yes, is 1 version back, but it will be so much better than any quarq or pioneer. srm is basically a falwless product. i run it through sloppy slushy winter. every 2, 3years you send it in for a $100 for a battery replace and seal replacing, and you're back at it. i have a Sworks Ultralight and i wish it had the newest dura crank with SRM, but im just fine with it.

SRM lets you enter a zero offset each morning very simply. it also is something you can calibrate the slope to every once and a while, which is a 5 minute process but basically ensures its exactly 100% accurate. thats important when i have my road racing bike and my tt bike and i want to ensure parity between the two.

but i get it, they dont have a current spider for the dura ace or specialized. find one on slowtwitch or ebay, get it cheap and replace in another year.

i think shimano would be the one to have, and they have the wizardry to make it great. but its not there yet.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

routinely logging +8,000mi/yr will tend to do that....

BTW, best road bike ever owned:
8k/yr
My car hobby is suffering this yr when I am shooting for 5k. How the heck do you find time for cars? lol
Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FJSeattle
Do you think mileage on your Tarmac affects its value?
I thought the idea was to discuss Porsche values, lol
Love it,
Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

having raced cup cars and caymans for quite a bit also, the other incredible part of cycling his how close it is to racing....
carving turns, looking up the road, the technicals off, being away of cars and others, and riding pals, etc.
when and how to put down power, etc.

i sometimes get frustrated with races,cars,tracks because there is so much overhead associated with attaining that incredible thrill of being in the race car. waiting around between sessions. lugging the car to the track. hotels, etc. the cost.

the bike tends to be basically 99% bliss, all incredible stuff. get up early get on the bike at 5, 6am, hammer out 3 hours or so, shower and you have your entire day, all the fun, all the thrill.

sometimes i struggle on how to balance the two. i do take the bike with me to the track and at all the tracks i frequent i know some great 90minute loops i can go out warm up quick, hammer out oan hour of intervals, cool down and feel great heading into a fun time on track.

that love of cars is precisely the love many feel about bikes. they are super interconnected except when some dicklord in a hot rod ripping around the state park decides to buzz you. from a safety perspective, the car even if doing 180 mph on a long straight away, is 30x safer than the bike. atleast.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I'm way deep into power meter, i just love having that metric to help push me, its probably the top 1 , 2 thing you can buy to help get stronger. like trying to get stronger lifting weights without knowing specifically what weight you are putting up. you feel incredible , well rested, the normal weight you struggle with goes up easy. most , dont push to the next level, they sort of stick there. or, you're dehydrated, a bit tired, and normal weight feels horrible...so you check down when you mgith have been able to stick the right weight. power meter tells you exactly the power you're putting out. and if you're feeling great, you can notch it up that 3,4% and reach fo another level without going too far either. and if you're feeling off, you know it, it sucks, but atleast you can dig in, bite your teeth and hand . and riding off perception or heart rate is tough for that very reason also. if you're dehydrated, your heart rate could be either overly elevated or if tired, sluggish. so if you based your 'effort on heart rate, thats like guessing the weights you put up in the gym based on heart ate. or if you are doing 1min, 2 minute climbing intervals, your heart rate rarely adjusts quick enough to use heart rate. a power meter is the only way to truly measure what you're putting out.

the smr is hands down the best. sorry . ive been around all this stuff for years, teammates with various stuff. years ago SRM was like 3800 for the crank, was stupid priced. and then with the new stuff like pioneer, quarq, and the newly announced shimano power meter (not even close to being ready for the public just yet)...srm cut prices. i dont know if they have a spider with the integrated strain guages/power meter for the new specialized crank, whic is basically a ripoff of a Rotor 3d+ crank. (and awesome!)...but at like 1300 retail, i think you can get a srm or dura that yes, is 1 version back, but it will be so much better than any quarq or pioneer. srm is basically a falwless product. i run it through sloppy slushy winter. every 2, 3years you send it in for a $100 for a battery replace and seal replacing, and you're back at it. i have a Sworks Ultralight and i wish it had the newest dura crank with SRM, but im just fine with it.

SRM lets you enter a zero offset each morning very simply. it also is something you can calibrate the slope to every once and a while, which is a 5 minute process but basically ensures its exactly 100% accurate. thats important when i have my road racing bike and my tt bike and i want to ensure parity between the two.

but i get it, they dont have a current spider for the dura ace or specialized. find one on slowtwitch or ebay, get it cheap and replace in another year.

i think shimano would be the one to have, and they have the wizardry to make it great. but its not there yet.
Thanks for the endorsement on the DA Powermeter. I am holding out. Just ordered my Di2 upgrade kit instead of the entire groupset so I could change the Rotor 3D crank to a DA Powermeter eventually. Plan on building my Cervelo R5 over the winter months. Should be lots of fun.

This is such a cool thread. Learning so much from it. By far my favorite thread on rennlist. Thanks guys for sharing your wisdom with a realtive noob.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

i sometimes get frustrated with races,cars,tracks because there is so much overhead associated with attaining that incredible thrill of being in the race car. waiting around between sessions. lugging the car to the track. hotels, etc. the cost.
I've had the exact same thoughts over the last few years. I'm right on the line of whether the tremendous track/race fun is still worth the time, costs, and hassle associated with it.

the bike tends to be basically 99% bliss, all incredible stuff. get up early get on the bike at 5, 6am, hammer out 3 hours or so, shower and you have your entire day, all the fun, all the thrill.
I've enjoyed following this bike thread and been fascinated by it. I picked up tennis this year and have been equally surprised how easy it is to get couple of hours of competitive physical fun and enjoyment. The time just flies when you get into the game with players at a similar level to yours.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RajDatta
8k/yr
My car hobby is suffering this yr when I am shooting for 5k. How the heck do you find time for cars? lol
to be clear, those are mooty numbers not mine. i'm good for about 1,500 to 2,000/yr, at least until i retire. i also ride mtb 3x as much as road (see below), which tends to cut down on your mileage.

that love of cars is precisely the love many feel about bikes. they are super interconnected except when some dicklord in a hot rod ripping around the state park decides to buzz you. from a safety perspective, the car even if doing 180 mph on a long straight away, is 30x safer than the bike. atleast.
way safer in a race car IMO. road riding in my area in today's environment scares the crap out of me. lack of adequate shoulders, lack of good site lines, inexperienced teens yucking it up with their buddies in daddy's land rover, texting mom's in their chevy suburban tanks, not to mention the outright bike haters.... hence i ride a lot more off road than on road. not without it's risks but i'll take bouncing off a tree at 25mph over bouncing off a car at 50 any day of the week.

only way to reduce the risk in my area is riding pre-dawn/crack of dawn but my body hates exercise at that hour no matter how much i try to adjust my internal clock. i do a 2hr ride at 3,4,5pm i'm fine. a 2hr ride at 5am and i'm toast for the rest of the day.

then again you could live in a place like cali with wide shoulders, open roads, and tons of bike paths...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
I've had the exact same thoughts over the last few years. I'm right on the line of whether the tremendous track/race fun is still worth the time, costs, and hassle associated with it.

I've enjoyed following this bike thread and been fascinated by it. I picked up tennis this year and have been equally surprised how easy it is to get couple of hours of competitive physical fun and enjoyment. The time just flies when you get into the game with players at a similar level to yours.
End of day, we arent pros and its a very costly hobby/sport. being in a race car is incredibly fun, but it can be a major pita. i've retired twice from the frustration. stuff breaking, waiting foroever to get on track to have some junker in the run groups drop oil and black flag the session after 1 lap...or a perfect session which is still at best 20 minutes. i kind of like WC and Trans am for that reason. the TA2 races are LONG 1 hour plus ordeals and pretty mid level drivers. wc is a notch up in skill a notch down in race length. both offer a lot of drive time. but a lot of cost.

its fun being in the car. i just tend to take stuff to seriously and never had experienced that level of technology/equipment failure, atleast never in bikes or soccer or hockey. my first coach nick longhi used to say its a shock if the thing actually works. what you do on a race track is just taking the life out of equipment.

so lately ive tried to be more easy breezy about the cars. but its a slippery slope.

the other great benefit of cycling is the health component. i could get all dramatic and talk about extended length, healthy heart. i simple take it to the most important factor...the more and harder i ride, the more and harder i can eat!!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

heard from friends that they just received MRSP allocation, to celebrate....

Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

^ all this junk food in your garage, it's gonna diminish the value of your cars mate...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

my SRM is imbound

having raced cup cars and caymans for quite a bit also, the other incredible part of cycling his how close it is to racing....v

u too? i am a bit burn out on track as well

sometimes i struggle on how to balance the two. i do take the bike with me to the track and at all the tracks i frequent i know some great 90minute loops i can go out warm up quick, hammer out oan hour of intervals, cool down and feel great heading into a fun time on track.

i dont balance the two, i quit tracking on 9/15/17.
i concur on riding safety. i do only certain route around my area (cycling heaven). on weekends you cars and motorcycles. but weekdays it's empty and even on weekend there are secret route that most non local do not know about.

Originally Posted by RajDatta
This is such a cool thread. Learning so much from it. By far my favorite thread on rennlist. Thanks guys for sharing your wisdom with a realtive noob.

thanx: BROUGHT TO YOU BY MOOTY:
as long as it's not deviating stitching or valve or politics. sex, cycling, drugs, junk food. by all means...

End of day, we arent pros and its a very costly hobby/sport. being in a race car is incredibly fun, but it can be a major pita...

so lately ive tried to be more easy breezy about the cars. but its a slippery slope.
LMAO steve, who are we kidding here.
let see how long that last for you to take easy on car racing.

the other great benefit of cycling is the health component. i could get all dramatic and talk about extended length, healthy heart. i simple take it to the most important factor...the more and harder i ride, the more and harder i can eat!!!!
YES, health. i am in pretty good shape now.

oh, you said EAT? that was my dinner lastnight. yes, my portion only

Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

watched a guy try to quit tracking once. it wasn't pretty...
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

Hokkaido (or SB?) uni with a mf'ing quail egg? this thread just went thermonuclear.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My shed is half bicycles (Tarmac disc, Speedvagen, Turner Czar, GF rigid, Crumpton, Ibis Mojo, On One SS) and half fishing and fly fishing tackle. It's the graphite and carbon corner.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches