Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

 
Old 11-30-2018, 01:32 PM
  #2581  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 717
Default

Speaking of energy bars, Brian Maxwell was a Cal alum and distance runner from Toronto who created PowerBar in the kitchen of his apartment in Berkeley with his then girlfriend, Jennifer who was majoring in food science.He was ranked #3 in the world as a 2:14:43 marathoner in 1977. He and his wife Jennifer sold PowerBar to Nestle in 2000 for $375 million.

Died at age 51 while waiting in line at the San Anselmo post office.
He would have been 65 next month.
You cant take it with you.


1975
Diablo Dude is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM
  #2582  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,484
Default





Originally Posted by aualexa2 View Post
Lemon Zest Luna bars are my favorite!!!! I'll eat those "girl candy bars" all day long! 😋
Originally Posted by fbroen View Post
Haha. Yes. I like Luna bars. Have gotten comments "you know those are for girls, right"
Ok iím not alone. girl
power lmao


Originally Posted by FJSeattle View Post
New promo film for my new club that meets every Monday to discuss values of Porsches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGeZzRk2WE4
I love ur space
no bs
no over the top garbage
just coffee and driving
our a VPI turntable and some valve amp we are all set.

pls also relocate it closer to woodside ca. ill
move my office in there

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude View Post
Speaking of energy bars, Brian Maxwell was a Cal alum and distance runner from Toronto who created PowerBar in the kitchen of his apartment in Berkeley with his then girlfriend, Jennifer who was majoring in food science.He was ranked #3 in the world as a 2:14:43 marathoner in 1977. He and his wife Jennifer sold PowerBar to Nestle in 2000 for $375 million.

Died at age 51 while waiting in line at the San Anselmo post office.
He would have been 65 next month.
You cant take it with you.


1975
cause of death? cardiac arrest?
cant take it with us joy it now

ordering beef jerky too
mooty is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM
  #2583  
J9277655
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 213
Default





Not a bad morning in SF!
J9277655 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:26 PM
  #2584  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 717
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
cause of death? cardiac arrest?
cant take it with us joy it now

ordering beef jerky too

Yes.
I urge everyone to get an echo-stress test.
Its a great way to check under the "hood".

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 11-30-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Diablo Dude is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:28 PM
  #2585  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 717
Default

Not a bad day over the Bay.
62 degrees from the Berkeley Hills.
Time for a drive.

Diablo Dude is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:36 PM
  #2586  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 4,753
Default

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude View Post
Yes.
I urge everyone to get an echo-stress test.
CAC (Coronary Arteries Calcium) scan/score is >10x more predictive than any other test.
hf1 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM
  #2587  
osu s2k
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
osu s2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 613
Default

I had the coronary artery calcium CT as well as a stress test, I was certain I was in worse shape than I am
osu s2k is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 08:51 PM
  #2588  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,484
Default

CAC and echo stress test. ok
will call wife for schedule.
I do wonder about my heart.
my max HRP is much lower than most ppl I ride with... now you ppl are scaring me!
mooty is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 PM
  #2589  
tasman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
tasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 3,208
Default

Jealous of you guys. I am stuck on the trainer. Wet and icy here
tasman is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 10:22 PM
  #2590  
NSD991
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
NSD991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 581
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
CAC and echo stress test. ok
will call wife for schedule.
I do wonder about my heart.
my max HRP is much lower than most ppl I ride with... now you ppl are scaring me!

Most hospitals will do a calcium score ct scan for a nominal fee $50-100. Itís easy and painless and takes about 10 minutes. You will get a terrific quality exam because your heart rate is low (if fast they will often give you meds to slow it down to get better pictures). The scans are done at a much reduced price because if something is found it can lead to further testing. If over 40 years of age the test is more accurate as your calcium is more dense and picked up easier..
NSD991 is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 05:58 PM
  #2591  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 717
Default

Originally Posted by NSD991 View Post



Most hospitals will do a calcium score ct scan for a nominal fee $50-100. Itís easy and painless and takes about 10 minutes. You will get a terrific quality exam because your heart rate is low (if fast they will often give you meds to slow it down to get better pictures). The scans are done at a much reduced price because if something is found it can lead to further testing. If over 40 years of age the test is more accurate as your calcium is more dense and picked up easier..
However, it's important to note that doing a CT scan like this exposes you to an incredible amount of radiation.
It's the equivalent of a full year's worth. As a result, the Calcium CT scan is not recommended for those in high or low risk groups.
It wont add any additional value to those two groups. It is mostly recommended for people in the moderate risk group.
Diablo Dude is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 07:19 PM
  #2592  
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hf1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northeast
Posts: 4,753
Default

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude View Post
However, it's important to note that doing a CT scan like this exposes you to an incredible amount of radiation.
It's the equivalent of a full year's worth. As a result, the Calcium CT scan is not recommended for those in high or low risk groups.
It wont add any additional value to those two groups. It is mostly recommended for people in the moderate risk group.
Problem is the CAC score is by far the best predictor that determines your risk group. All others (LDL chol, BMI, fat intake, aero exercise, etc.) are at best weak and at worst plain wrong, especially ones regarding good/bad diet (the “fat clogs your artieries” myth). If I remember correctly, the amount of radiation is on the order of couple of cross-atlantic flights, but need this confirmed.

Anyone needing further motivation to do this test should watch The Widowmaker here and also on Netflix:



hf1 is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 AM
  #2593  
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 38,484
Default

Originally Posted by tasman View Post
Jealous of you guys. I am stuck on the trainer. Wet and icy here
I decided just to ride through rain. today
mooty is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 08:16 PM
  #2594  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 717
Default

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
If I remember correctly, the amount of radiation is on the order of couple of cross-atlantic flights, but need this confirmed.


A year's worth of radiation, in general, amounts to around 3 millisieverts.
The amount of radiation delivered during most CT calcium score tests is 2 - 3 millisieverts.

I'm not a radiologist, but from what I've read the key to the amount of radiation exposure revolves around what kind of CT scan technology is used.

The premier and fastest scanner for coronary calcium screening is the EBCT (electron beam computed tomography), also known as the "Ultra-Fast" CT scan.
It also gives off the least amount of radiation. I believe it is something like only 6/10th's of a millisievert. That is the equivalent of 1 abdominal x-ray. This is in stark contrast to the spiral CT scanner, like the 64 slice CT which gives off far more radiation.

Something to consider when exploring CAC.








Last edited by Diablo Dude; 12-02-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Diablo Dude is offline  
Old 12-02-2018, 08:59 PM
  #2595  
GeoJoe
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
GeoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 916
Default

Pelligrino to keep it classy...

GeoJoe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: