just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
80% of the time noise from tarmacs is the bottom bracket. they have had about 4 , 5 different bottom brackets spec'd in that bike over the last 2 years. im using Praxis's BB Conv which turns that bb30 opening into a bb24 for my shimano with a 2 piece shell bb you press in. lots of antiseize and grease and boom, thing is as quiet as can be.
the other good possible investment is a small ultrasonic cleaner of the right size to hold the cassette, chain, etc.
and the DT Swiss springs and pawls from the free hub.
bikes are really easy to fix. small work bench and toolset and you can basically take the drivetrain apart, clean it, and put it back together in 15 minutes.
u clearly have not seen me working
I can take ANYTHING apart no prob
I cannot put ANYTHING back together.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
so I broke some stuff on my s works tarmac (4xxx miles).
my dealer (cognition Cyclery, THE BEST and THE LARGEST bike shop on west coast, maybe largest in USA) called specialized. no questions, they didnt have parts so offer $$$ so I can buy whatever parts from competitor I wished.
the $$ offered was close to 15% of the entire bike's msrp.
took it in thursday and approved today.
how refreshing.
If every company treated their customers as Specilaized does the world would be a far better place.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:23 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
80% of the time noise from tarmacs is the bottom bracket. they have had about 4 , 5 different bottom brackets spec'd in that bike over the last 2 years. im using Praxis's BB Conv which turns that bb30 opening into a bb24 for my shimano with a 2 piece shell bb you press in. lots of antiseize and grease and boom, thing is as quiet as can be.
the other good possible investment is a small ultrasonic cleaner of the right size to hold the cassette, chain, etc.
and the DT Swiss springs and pawls from the free hub.
bikes are really easy to fix. small work bench and toolset and you can basically take the drivetrain apart, clean it, and put it back together in 15 minutes.
The main noise issue I had was just being loud while pedaling in the large ring. I suspect it's the Praxis ring that doesn't play as smooth at the rest of the DA drivetrain. It's quiet for a while and then as it wears in, it just is plain loud. I've had the BB creaks too and will likely move to the Praxis BB adapter the next time it flares up.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:07 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

What did you break on the S-works mooty?

ChrisF - I get noise/slow shifting of FD with the s-works\praxis rings with DA9150 di2. Same DA9150 setup but with DA crankset on my Madone is silky smooth. I heard Shimano has a copyright on the shift ramps that Praxis can't copy which causes these issues.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:05 AM
kenwidmerpool
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nizer, wow that's a RIDE

chris, nice looking 570!
I checked out the interior it was spectacular.
porsche should learn a few things or two.

detailing. the CTT was a light detail. the CGT was much more amazingly done. 6 days when I got it.

======================

BIKE CONTENT:

so as you all know: if it can be broken, mooty WILL break it.
so I broke some stuff on my s works tarmac (4xxx miles).
my dealer (cognition Cyclery, THE BEST and THE LARGEST bike shop on west coast, maybe largest in USA) called specialized. no questions, they didnt have parts so offer $$$ so I can buy whatever parts from competitor I wished.
the $$ offered was close to 15% of the entire bike's msrp.
took it in thursday and approved today.
how refreshing.
colnago didnt give a fk
cipollini is on cappuccino time. when 4 of their frames broke on me ( yes I learn slow and gave them chance after chance ) and I was irate. first the told me they have no stock for WARRANTY, but strangely if I wanted to buy a NEW frame, they suddenly have stock. after much shouting, they decided they FOUND a frame for me. I told them I will pay air freight so I can get it faster. they clearly cannot understand English or Chinese and shipped GROUND to distributor in FL then GROUND again from FL to CA... what a POS company.... easy....tiger... my RHR is going up again...

oh lightweight wheels are great too. they warrantied quick and when they had a screw up they apologized profusely and made me whole. they are German as well. they move faster than Italians but they have strange logic. it took a while for me to get their "logic", I think the culture loves S&M. I really do.

so, don't buy cipollini is the lesson of the day.
spend less and go faster and you wont have heart attack while arguing about why they fk'd up AGAIN....

ok, I need dessert now.
I heard the Cipo distributor then was not a bike guy, and not particularly interested. Maybe in the watch business--dont know which. I think they changed US contact.

Surprised you spesh fanboys have to f*CK with your BBs. I thought the point of buying boring was reliability.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ correct, the orig cipo distributor is watch guy. not sure which brand and he has swindled money from many dealers (bike dealers)
we actually have legal letter served on him.

the new distributor is not much better.

with regard to BB. I have never had a bike with quiet BB both MTB and Road
moots
merlin
light speed
seven
serotta
potts
pegoretti
colango
pinarello
ciocc
bianchi
specialized,
trek
look
lightweight
felt
storck
canyon
maverick
santa cruz
IF
bmc
I pretty much had everything under the sun. I give up on BB noise. I grind gears and my natural cadence is only 80rpm with a very slow HR. so maybe it's my poor habits that cause BB noises. I do ride in pouring rain as well so maybe that had something to do with it. what frame do u like? and how did you solve BB issues?

how much you weight? I am fat so the wt does wear things out. my chains rarely last more than 1200 miles. I just chuck them as timed out items. yes I do cross chain, and have no plan on changing that habit. I rather change the chain than my habit.

but frames cracking is not my doing.
and subsequently I found at least 10 other ppl with identical cracks on RB800 and 3 other ppl with a different crack issue on RB800, that model Is now discontinued.

cipo geo is wonderful very aggressive I love it.
it is the "service" and "representation" that sucked.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 AM
kenwidmerpool
Advanced

^ correct, the orig cipo distributor is watch guy. not sure which brand and he has swindled money from many dealers (bike dealers)
we actually have legal letter served on him.

the new distributor is not much better.

with regard to BB. I have never had a bike with quiet BB both MTB and Road
moots
merlin
light speed
seven
serotta
potts
pegoretti
colango
pinarello
ciocc
bianchi
specialized,
trek
look
lightweight
felt
storck
canyon
maverick
santa cruz
IF
bmc
I pretty much had everything under the sun. I give up on BB noise. I grind gears and my natural cadence is only 80rpm with a very slow HR. so maybe it's my poor habits that cause BB noises. I do ride in pouring rain as well so maybe that had something to do with it. what frame do u like? and how did you solve BB issues?

how much you weight? I am fat so the wt does wear things out. my chains rarely last more than 1200 miles. I just chuck them as timed out items. yes I do cross chain, and have no plan on changing that habit. I rather change the chain than my habit.

but frames cracking is not my doing.
and subsequently I found at least 10 other ppl with identical cracks on RB800 and 3 other ppl with a different crack issue on RB800, that model Is now discontinued.

cipo geo is wonderful very aggressive I love it.
it is the "service" and "representation" that sucked.
I cross chain alot, too. I think about it occasionally, but as you suggest, have to privilege my cadence rhythm/preference, or I'll get dropped.

My brother cracked a Cipo frame this year and--thankfully since I suggested it--they had him a new one quickly. Maybe the new regime is better . Can't say for sure.

Been on a good run with same nation road bike builds. Italian frames and group sets. No noise.

My Italian MTB frame with Sram xx1 has an aural cadence sensor. Hear the thing from miles away, like a saloon door in a spaghetti western .

​​​​
Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jj99c2

ChrisF - I get noise/slow shifting of FD with the s-works\praxis rings with DA9150 di2. Same DA9150 setup but with DA crankset on my Madone is silky smooth. I heard Shimano has a copyright on the shift ramps that Praxis can't copy which causes these issues.
My shop said basically the same thing about the ramps on the Praxis rings. Have considered selling the S-works crank and swapping for a DA. I have DA cranks on my two other bikes and both are quiet as can be. Seems silly that Specialized would opt for an inferior combination on their flagship product. Even funnier is the fact that their racers run DA and not S-Works cranks.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I used to have a Rotor3D+ 30mm crank. great crank. but shi tty rings. there aer some cool cranks out there, and every time I veer from shimano I end up back with a dura crank. simple easy, and the rings are flawless. praxis rings are nice but like any other non-shimano rings if you want zero noise on the pickup ramps, you have to go shimano. I used to run into this all the time when id set up my tt bike, I would run a 55 sometimes a 56 if it there were a lot of downgrades. and I think it was someone like praxis and others who were the only ones who could make a 56 that would work with the rotor. SRAM makes some nice rings. ive had luck there. nothing is as smooth and clean shifting as the dura rings.

Originally Posted by jj99c2

Old 10-17-2018, 01:16 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kenwidmerpool
I cross chain alot, too. I think about it occasionally, but as you suggest, have to privilege my cadence rhythm/preference, or I'll get dropped.

My brother cracked a Cipo frame this year and--thankfully since I suggested it--they had him a new one quickly. Maybe the new regime is better . Can't say for sure.

Been on a good run with same nation road bike builds. Italian frames and group sets. No noise.

My Italian MTB frame with Sram xx1 has an aural cadence sensor. Hear the thing from miles away, like a saloon door in a spaghetti western .

​​​​
glad to hear cipo did ur bro right

im goong to try some DA cranks and rings. finger crossed.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM
kenwidmerpool
Advanced

glad to hear cipo did ur bro right

im goong to try some DA cranks and rings. finger crossed.
I think that will go well. Shimano plays well with itself...as it were. I had praxis works rings on an infocrank power meter I had (one of the world's first, really) and it wasn't happy with my Shimano FD. Ever.

Yea, no, we were very happy about my brother's replacement frame. It was his training ride and I like to think in that way I helped him win the rainbow bands. I mean her...oh f*CK it .

Old 10-17-2018, 05:17 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Congratulations to your sister, and to you as training partner! Good going!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:10 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kenwidmerpool
I think that will go well. Shimano plays well with itself...as it were. I had praxis works rings on an infocrank power meter I had (one of the world's first, really) and it wasn't happy with my Shimano FD. Ever.

Yea, no, we were very happy about my brother's replacement frame. It was his training ride and I like to think in that way I helped him win the rainbow bands. I mean her...oh f*CK it .
cool!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:18 AM
kenwidmerpool
Advanced

Just kiddin but you both pass the PC test
Old 10-18-2018, 01:20 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ LOL I am pretty PC most of the time.