just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,840 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
food hanging out with spyerX
i didn’t over eat only ordered 7 of the 9 available appetizers as one dessert plus on steak.
And only 1 dessert!!!!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Anyone into wood floor restoration and care? I just spent two hours shuffling around a bedroom with microfiber towels on my shoes tung oiling the floor. That’s about the most exercise I can handle. Whole second floor west wing of the house smells like orange from the citrus solvent.

Need to put some more coats on next week and attack a few wax stains (at some point the room had a radiator leak and the floor suffered some damage under a rug), but it looks a lot better.

Why can I not add pictures anymore? I tried logging in and out etc.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,830 Likes on 2,390 Posts

^ restore wood floor? sand it down and re-stain it.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:06 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

To the esteemed gentlemen on this thread, I am thinking of taking the GT3 up the PCH from LA to SF to see family next week since it apparently reopened all the way through (would be my first time driving up PCH fully, took Ojai and misc routes the other two times). Hoping to do just one overnight stay somewhere at a good point near the middle to split the distance, don't need to stay at the Post Ranch Inn. Any suggestions on a simple nice place? Or just pick any bed and breakfast and move on? Just looking for a place to sleep 6 hours..
Old 09-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Anyone into wood floor restoration and care? I just spent two hours shuffling around a bedroom with microfiber towels on my shoes tung oiling the floor. That’s about the most exercise I can handle. Whole second floor west wing of the house smells like orange from the citrus solvent.

Need to put some more coats on next week and attack a few wax stains (at some point the room had a radiator leak and the floor suffered some damage under a rug), but it looks a lot better.

Why can I not add pictures anymore? I tried logging in and out etc.

^^^^^^ Future fall victim.............

Instead of using the "paperclip" in the menu bar, try the "scene" icon to the left of the "smiley".
Old 09-30-2018, 05:45 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 383 Posts

We stayed at the Carmel Highlands Inn on our last road trip. That's just a little further than Post Ranch but a lot less $$. Food was pretty good and views were awesome.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 780 Posts

+1!

Sebring Dec and Jan are coming up.
I owe some reciprocal GT driving time.
Maybe we can get the band together with the usual suspects.
And bring some Sebring Virgins from the Bay Area with you.
Joe and Max are invited.

Stick a few GT cars on a truck I’ll look after and we can share Barney!
Ill try to come do west coast tracks after I’m done with Lizard and ED.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,830 Likes on 2,390 Posts

another road trip would be good

picking up kids in antique

Old 10-01-2018, 05:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ restore wood floor? sand it down and re-stain it.
that is the easy way out

that is like a full repaint on an original paint 356 pre-A

no bueno

touch up and re-oil, no full sanding

I probably have 60 hours into my living room floor, 89 years old never sanded or refinished, it looks like a gunstock now that I am done. I did a thorough cleaning, a couple days on my hands and knees doing touch up staining (sometimes with an artist’s brush), a few light sanding of stains, some buffing with scotchbrite, and eight coats of tung oil (actual 100% tung oil cut with citrus solvent) over the span of a month.

This pic is after about 3 coats
Old 10-01-2018, 05:05 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
^^^^^^ Future fall victim.............

Instead of using the "paperclip" in the menu bar, try the "scene" icon to the left of the "smiley".
you are my HERO! This is my method. I don’t go fast enough to fall, but it is hell on my knees. By the way, the darker floor is the “before” of the living room. The lighter color is the hall that someone put poly on (need to get that sanded it is so out of place).

Last edited by evilfij; 10-01-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:25 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
To the esteemed gentlemen on this thread, I am thinking of taking the GT3 up the PCH from LA to SF to see family next week since it apparently reopened all the way through (would be my first time driving up PCH fully, took Ojai and misc routes the other two times). Hoping to do just one overnight stay somewhere at a good point near the middle to split the distance, don't need to stay at the Post Ranch Inn. Any suggestions on a simple nice place? Or just pick any bed and breakfast and move on? Just looking for a place to sleep 6 hours..
May be too far north for you to split the drive, but we love this place - http://www.bigsurcamp.com/

Cheap, simple cabins in an outstanding setting. Drive down to Pfeiffer Beach too for a great scene. Got engaged right here:

Old 10-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Not the Ritz Carlton but maybe check out this: Big Sur Lodging http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/lodging.html, or further north - basic: Pigeon Point Lighthouse: http://www.norcalhostels.org/pigeon
Alcatraz is not available for overnighters (or longer stay) though.........

Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Pilotmike737
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Piano Beach, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, and Cambria and have nice B and B and hotels. Then you have a full day to attack the best part of Hwy 1 to Monterey. Have Fun!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Pilotmike737
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pismo Beach, spell check!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:32 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
We stayed at the Carmel Highlands Inn on our last road trip. That's just a little further than Post Ranch but a lot less $$. Food was pretty good and views were awesome.
Originally Posted by GeoJoe
May be too far north for you to split the drive, but we love this place - http://www.bigsurcamp.com/

Cheap, simple cabins in an outstanding setting. Drive down to Pfeiffer Beach too for a great scene. Got engaged right here:

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Not the Ritz Carlton but maybe check out this: Big Sur Lodging http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/lodging.html, or further north - basic: Pigeon Point Lighthouse: http://www.norcalhostels.org/pigeon
Alcatraz is not available for overnighters (or longer stay) though.........
Originally Posted by Pilotmike737
Piano Beach, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, and Cambria and have nice B and B and hotels. Then you have a full day to attack the best part of Hwy 1 to Monterey. Have Fun!
Thanks guys for the recommendations, really appreciate it. Noting these down for the next drive, turns out I am a bit pressed for time this weekend but still want/need to do the drive up. Will just take I5 up to SF and just spend a full day (no overnight) taking the PCH south to LA on the return. Next go around plan to overnight to enjoy more of the scenery and have more time for pictures

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches