Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by NBoost
http://wholeathlete.com/

Been lurking this awesome thread since it was created, mooty, call Dario^ for fit questions. He's local to you and an absolute wizard when it comes to bike fit. Whenever I get a new bike I get it as close as I can, throw it on the trainer and text him 10 second iphone vids of me pedaling from the rear and side. He'll text back something like "move cleats back 3mm, seat forward 4mm and down 2mm" and boom, my comfort and power go up.
I've used Dario. He's very good. I like Colin at Studio Velo better.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:41 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Cooked steak fajitas tonight for street tacos. Marinade was excellent. Use flap meat.
olive oil, Soy, lime, scallions, garlic, cumin, red pepper, brown sugar
been playing with different savory and acid combos, along with sweetness. This creates a very rich savory and well broken down meat after only about 90 minutes. Wouldn’t want to go longer.

No pictures too busy eating.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt

havent checked in much, been training hard the last 2 months, i changed shoe from the sworks7 over to the shimano s-phyre wides, just fit better,and boom my power came up big time. but more relevant riding stronger in the 3rd horu of hard interval training rides. also shifted my cleats back almost a full cm rearward of the ball of foot, moving the pressure the arch where there is more carbon on the shoes. less pressure on my feet. so much more comfy.
been getting in 5 solid hard 3ish hour training rides weekly so very fun and leads to good eating.
James Wilson has been all over the cleat positioning topic on the MTB side (he’s also a big proponent of flats over clip-ins for all forms of MTB riding, which I’m less sold on). Basic argument is you’re better balanced with mid-foot location vs effectively standing on the ball of the foot. Unfortunately current crop of MTB shoes only allow minimum rearward clear adjustment.

Maybe just my foot shape, but Shimano shoes are best fitting MTB shoe I’ve ever owned. Running two active pair of XC90’s with another two back-up pair new in box. And yes Mooty, they still use old-school buckle and strap closure. 😉
Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

not sure the definition of midfoot, but i fyou look at a shimano cleat, there are two hash marks on either side of the cleat which is to represent where the axle of the pedal goes across the cleat once you snap into the pedal. traditiona/typical setup...put on the shoes, take a pen , mark the ball of the 1st big toe and the 5th metatarsal. and then setup the cleat so its about between the 2nd and third toe on that line between the two hashmarks, the 'ball of your feet'. i was always rearward of that, anow im 1cm back of that even bascially the axles goes across my shoe and is just a smidge behind the 5th met a good bit back from the 1st for sure. you can feel the difference. thats also how you'd adjust for leg length if its leg length in the upper leg. Low leg you deal with it with shims. anyway, forefoot is a great way to go especially if you're not an explosive sprinter, or if you get pains int he foot. adding varus shims (see bikefit.com) is another massive change.
on the shimanos RC9 S-Phyres, they have slots that let you slide back a good bit, and they have these rubber stoppers, you pull those you can go even further back. I also ordered a set of Rocket 7s custom shoes, takes 8 weeks, had ordered them before I found the s-phyres which seem to resolve most of my foot issues. if you go custom you can move more midfoot they'll put the nuts wherever you like.

new product of the month mark @ westwood cycle turned me onto, which is wicked great..
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/liquid-silk-carnauba-wax-polish-15dot5oz-aerosol

nizer - try the sphyre shimano socks. best sock iveever worn. just about a few pair, has nifty fabric in rear to keep heel locked in, and 3 strips of padding wher the tongue pushes down so you can tighten the boa or those 8-track-tape straps and not feel it at all.

nizer - try the sphyre shimano socks. best sock iveever worn. just about a few pair, has nifty fabric in rear to keep heel locked in, and 3 strips of padding wher the tongue pushes down so you can tighten the boa or those 8-track-tape straps and not feel it at all.
Originally Posted by Nizer

James Wilson has been all over the cleat positioning topic on the MTB side (he’s also a big proponent of flats over clip-ins for all forms of MTB riding, which I’m less sold on). Basic argument is you’re better balanced with mid-foot location vs effectively standing on the ball of the foot. Unfortunately current crop of MTB shoes only allow minimum rearward clear adjustment.

Maybe just my foot shape, but Shimano shoes are best fitting MTB shoe I’ve ever owned. Running two active pair of XC90’s with another two back-up pair new in box. And yes Mooty, they still use old-school buckle and strap closure. 😉
Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

not enough value talk in this thread. needed a short lunchtime drive yesterday before a program review meeting so just headed to the hills east of San Jose to see what I could find. knew i didn't have enough time to head up to Lick Observatory, so just went out Calaveras Rd from Milpitas and did this little loop...

not the best road in some parts (bumps and rocks) and does have some single lane sections, but not horrible. got a nice view of the haze over the valley. and helped get me to 46k miles on the car. should fall apart when it hits 50k.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:01 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

oh, and in further proof that 997.2 GT3s are pretty much worthless....

was getting gas this morning when a guy driving a flat bed tow truck started talking to me about my car.
asked if it was the 3.8. said he liked the color. then asked if it was turbo engine.
said no, this is the NA engine.
he says, aw man, you should have gotten the turbo!

crushed......
had to have some Cup Noodle when i got into the office to make myself feel a little better.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:17 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
said no, this is the NA engine.
he says, aw man, you should have gotten the turbo!

crushed......
Ha! I had a gas station attendant ask me once if it was" the one with the V10". I said no V10 911. He was visibly un-convinced.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

The Downward Spiral continues...

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

steve, you are getting to techincal and losing nizer. i am way gone hahaha
im a diesel engine. i cannot sprint. 10 sec at 550w, i blow up.
seriously though i think my cleats are a bit behind ball of 1st met.
and varus shim is big deal. never had it until 2 years ago.
finger crossed, with 9-10k a year, i have no ankle, feet pain. SOMETIME i get ITB pain. but that's me refusing to rest when i should
i am doing better now. realizing resting is as important as, if not more so, than actual training.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:35 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

saru, u drove by tung kee noodle and didnt stop?
i go from woodside to newark just for that deadly $6.xx noodle.
#16 is my order
i EMPTY out the chilli too

Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Haha. I actually had lunch there and then went for the drive. Usually get #6 — rice noodle & egg noodle combo but ask for the wider egg noodle. Think I got #9 — wonton noodle soup — that day.

oh, and always make sure the table I sit at has a full jar of the chili peppers too.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Saru385
Haha. I actually had lunch there and then went for the drive. Usually get #6 — rice noodle & egg noodle combo but ask for the wider egg noodle. Think I got #9 — wonton noodle soup — that day.

oh, and always make sure the table I sit at has a full jar of the chili peppers too.
we must go together
Old 08-15-2018, 03:18 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

sane ppl would put bike in foreground and avoid the hydrant as well

Old 08-17-2018, 01:46 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

decided to try some of the Piedmontese beef they have at Zanottos.
went with the boneless ribeye per recommendation of the butcher.
simple olive oil and salt & pepper action and man these came out tastier than i expected!
value of the Egg keeps dropping....

got the Egg up to about 650

did about 3min, 3min at full tilt and 4min with the vents closed down.

got a bit over 145F but still came out pretty much on the medium rare side of things.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:02 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

oh, and Mooty, i could be persuaded to treat you to a (New) Tung Kee (Luu) Noodle lunch.
would the CGT or the 4.0RS be a more appropriate vehicle for the trip....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches