Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

mooty,...agree with nizer, ditch the cotton turbos. they are a bit lighter and roll fast, have good Crr values. but id recommend the Conti GP4000 II S. they are very light, have just about the same CRR values at the cotton turbos and have incredible puncture resistance.

havent checked in much, been training hard the last 2 months, i changed shoe from the sworks7 over to the shimano s-phyre wides, just fit better,and boom my power came up big time. but more relevant riding stronger in the 3rd horu of hard interval training rides. also shifted my cleats back almost a full cm rearward of the ball of foot, moving the pressure the arch where there is more carbon on the shoes. less pressure on my feet. so much more comfy.
been getting in 5 solid hard 3ish hour training rides weekly so very fun and leads to good eating.

i may sell my 2017 S-Works tarmac non-disc with CLX 50s . the wheels are brand new last week just moved up from the 32s which were great but i like the deeper rims on the rollers and they are still pretty light for climbing.
i just bought a venge disc and plan to build it up tomorrow or tuesday. neat bike too.
so if anyone is interested in a 56 tarmac s-works di2 cl 50 with about 5 months and about 2500 miles on it, super cheap, p m me. ill send some photos. my stuff is kept top top notch.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmermd
I drive/ride/run a lot in the mountain backcountry and always take my garmin inreach. Much more reliable than cellular or radio communication. Allows two way satellite tracking and text communication as long as I can see the sky. May save you from another cleat march or hoping for a passing samaritan.
i have garmin 1030, it does text. but i thought the text is going through cell signal of my phone?
is garmin "inreach" a different headunit?
i am a tech moron. need help. like a lot of help
Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
mooty,...agree with nizer, ditch the cotton turbos. they are a bit lighter and roll fast, have good Crr values. but id recommend the Conti GP4000 II S. they are very light, have just about the same CRR values at the cotton turbos and have incredible puncture resistance.
thats the plan, once i expired all my turbo cotton going back to GP or maybe corsa

havent checked in much, been training hard the last 2 months, i changed shoe from the sworks7 over to the shimano s-phyre wides, just fit better,and boom my power came up big time. but more relevant riding stronger in the 3rd horu of hard interval training rides. also shifted my cleats back almost a full cm rearward of the ball of foot, moving the pressure the arch where there is more carbon on the shoes. less pressure on my feet. so much more comfy.
been getting in 5 solid hard 3ish hour training rides weekly so very fun and leads to good eating.
interesting. i will try the cleat movement some time. i am on 170mm crank and have slight toe overlap now. i wonder how bad the overlap will become once i move cleat backward.

i may sell my 2017 S-Works tarmac non-disc with CLX 50s . the wheels are brand new last week just moved up from the 32s which were great but i like the deeper rims on the rollers and they are still pretty light for climbing.
u should mention you have ULTRA LIGHT. they are LE and no more. they are lighter than regular S work tarmac non disc and the eecycleworks brakes are fabulous. i dont run 32 anymore on any bike. the 50 climbs fine and descends better for heavy riders. i am 35 lbs more than you b/c i eat better hahahaah

i just bought a venge disc and plan to build it up tomorrow or tuesday. neat bike too.
so if anyone is interested in a 56 tarmac s-works di2 cl 50 with about 5 months and about 2500 miles on it, super cheap, p m me. ill send some photos. my stuff is kept top top notch.
hahah venge looks great adn i thing for your type of racing, venge is better. though it is over 1# heavier than your UL. however several of us tested that unless it's 6% or more grade, given same rider, the venge aero outweighs the extra wt.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i have garmin 1030, it does text. but i thought the text is going through cell signal of my phone?
is garmin "inreach" a different headunit?
i am a tech moron. need help. like a lot of help
The in reach products use satellite to communicate. your 1030 is a bike computer with satellite gps receive.
the in reach products can SEND signals.

So, one option, you carry it. You get stuck, you text wife "order me an uber to this address or location.... "
If you get hurt, you use the emergency communications

These are super common with hikers, as the emergency capability sends exact GPS coordinates and allows 2 way text communication. My buddy carries one, luckily never had to use it (last hike was Rainier)

here's a review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/...th-review.html
Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

go read steve hogg's stuff, or go to bikefit.com they great artlcles. I was getting pain outside of the left foot 5th metatarsal, nothing unique just wahat iv edealt with for years. but I finally opted to put in the time, effort to try stuff. #1 thng was moving the cleat rearwards. you can get over the top of the axle better and don't use your ankle /calf as much. the pressures is more midfoot. they say for steady power riding, time trialing, tri guys , basically non-crit, it can generate a lot more power for longer. uses more quad/hams than calves which is the weakest of the 3. and shifts the pressure point back to the meatier part of the carbon sole. I was going to do it like 3mm at a time. but he suggested just doing the entire 1cm. it wasn't any big deal and took no time to adjust. I usually sneak up on the nose of my saddle as a time trailist to get on top of the axle anyway. but it really helped. lets pain during and in the last hour of a hot warm 3+ hour ride. couldn't be happier was worth the muss.
yes, that's a 56 ultralight, ceramic cc, 9100 dura ace di2. chain and chainrings changed about 300 miles ago, cassette at same time. etc. etc.
those eecyclworks brakes are really good. I thought they would be like zero gravity brakes which were always a pita, but the ee are pretty flawless and adjust easily.
you may eat more, not sure you eat better. I eat a country ton. relative to most normal humans, I eat more than anyone. sometimes I think I ride to eat. I know I ride to eat!!
Old 08-12-2018, 03:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Guys, I'm sure you all know what you're doing, just consider the possibility that there could be too much of a good thing.

https://roguehealthandfitness.com/fitness-equal-health/

In young men, a high frequency of vigorous exercise, specifically running, was associated with an increased risk of atrial fibrillation. Clearly they were overdoing it. Another study found that the rate of atrial fibrillation in practitioners of long-term endurance sports was about four times the rate of sedentary controls. A long-distance run of 21 km produces biomarkers of cardiac damage in young men. And “ostensibly healthy marathon runners” have a much higher rate of myocardial damage than controls.

This is not even to mention the joint injuries caused by distance running. Runners also often overtax themselves so as to run down their immune systems, with more colds and flu as a result. This could even increase the risk of cancer. World champion marathon runner Grete Waitz died of it at age 57. Of course this is an anecdote, but it does seem possible to say that marathon running did not make her healthier, and in my opinion it may have hastened her demise. Overtraining, which almost by definition is what an elite marathoner does, is associated with increased incidence of upper respiratory tract infections and overall lower immune function. Hence cancer could be a result of prolonged overtraining.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:03 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

totally know it, totally don't care. honestly, I love riding; . I get up at 4am, bang out 2 to 3 hours , showered and at my business by 9. with 2,3 great riding buddies, all state champions, time trial champions, safe, realiable, go in all weather, thru the 20 degree winters, loving spring.
its the best 3 horus of my day. 2 years agoI got clobbered , t-boned by a deer, 5 titanium plates in my face, my nose was in 200 pieces, 4 days in the hospital, and like the previous poster, I think my first thought was the condition fo my bike and how quick could I get recovered and finish the time trial championship season which I ended up winning the series by a few points suffering with 6 broken ribs though my nose/face were fine after 3 weeks to get back on the bike. my wife said iw as stupid and foolish so did just about every person I know. and objectively, what we do is stupid and foolish.
but you cant live forever and if I go with some failure due to over doing it on the bike, so be it. dying in a bed pissing my pants at the age of 95 with my kids having to tend to me...aint how I want to leave this planet.
then again, im stupid.

Originally Posted by hf1
Guys, I'm sure you all know what you're doing, just consider the possibility that there could be too much of a good thing.

https://roguehealthandfitness.com/fitness-equal-health/

In young men, a high frequency of vigorous exercise, specifically running, was associated with an increased risk of atrial fibrillation. Clearly they were overdoing it. Another study found that the rate of atrial fibrillation in practitioners of long-term endurance sports was about four times the rate of sedentary controls. A long-distance run of 21 km produces biomarkers of cardiac damage in young men. And “ostensibly healthy marathon runners” have a much higher rate of myocardial damage than controls.

This is not even to mention the joint injuries caused by distance running. Runners also often overtax themselves so as to run down their immune systems, with more colds and flu as a result. This could even increase the risk of cancer. World champion marathon runner Grete Waitz died of it at age 57. Of course this is an anecdote, but it does seem possible to say that marathon running did not make her healthier, and in my opinion it may have hastened her demise. Overtraining, which almost by definition is what an elite marathoner does, is associated with increased incidence of upper respiratory tract infections and overall lower immune function. Hence cancer could be a result of prolonged overtraining.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So, one option, you carry it. You get stuck, you text wife "order me an uber to this address or location.... "
If you get hurt, you use the emergency communications...
This could be useful, since if I or wife drive a little west of the Metroplex, we're off the grid.
Is there a monthly fee to access the iridium satellites?
T
Old 08-12-2018, 06:18 PM
jimmermd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are different service plans through inReach. Unit is registered and emergency and navigation services are not charged. Tracking and texting through the satellite network is available monthly and annually at various levels. I have forty texts and unlimited two way tracking at ten minute intervals for $25ish/month.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:30 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmermd
There are different service plans through inReach. Unit is registered and emergency and navigation services are not charged. Tracking and texting through the satellite network is available monthly and annually at various levels. I have forty texts and unlimited two way tracking at ten minute intervals for $25ish/month.
Thanks!
T
Old 08-12-2018, 08:59 PM
joejenie
Three Wheelin'

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The in reach products use satellite to communicate. your 1030 is a bike computer with satellite gps receive.
the in reach products can SEND signals.

If you get hurt, you use the emergency communications

These are super common with hikers, as the emergency capability sends exact GPS coordinates and allows 2 way text communication. My buddy carries one, luckily never had to use it (last hike was Rainier)

here's a review:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/...th-review.html
We use Inreach for texting in airplanes as well. Great, cheap way to let people know where you are in case you are stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Thanks Chris for the advice! First tri-tip on the Egg. Tinkering will ensue...

(damn, patio needs a good power wash!)

Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 PM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

http://wholeathlete.com/

Been lurking this awesome thread since it was created, mooty, call Dario^ for fit questions. He's local to you and an absolute wizard when it comes to bike fit. Whenever I get a new bike I get it as close as I can, throw it on the trainer and text him 10 second iphone vids of me pedaling from the rear and side. He'll text back something like "move cleats back 3mm, seat forward 4mm and down 2mm" and boom, my comfort and power go up.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks Chris for the advice! First tri-tip on the Egg. Tinkering will ensue...

(damn, patio needs a good power wash!)

This happened in my 'hood after a big green egg blew over the morning after it was used. Be careful out there!

Name:  znrAJwR.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  1.84 MB
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

totally know it, totally don't care. honestly, I love riding; . I get up at 4am, bang out 2 to 3 hours , showered and at my business by 9. with 2,3 great riding buddies, all state champions, time trial champions, safe, realiable, go in all weather, thru the 20 degree winters, loving spring.
its the best 3 horus of my day. 2 years agoI got clobbered , t-boned by a deer, 5 titanium plates in my face, my nose was in 200 pieces, 4 days in the hospital, and like the previous poster, I think my first thought was the condition fo my bike and how quick could I get recovered and finish the time trial championship season which I ended up winning the series by a few points suffering with 6 broken ribs though my nose/face were fine after 3 weeks to get back on the bike. my wife said iw as stupid and foolish so did just about every person I know. and objectively, what we do is stupid and foolish.
but you cant live forever and if I go with some failure due to over doing it on the bike, so be it. dying in a bed pissing my pants at the age of 95 with my kids having to tend to me...aint how I want to leave this planet.
then again, im stupid.
Amen!

Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches