Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Old 07-28-2018, 12:16 AM
WernerE
User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After two hand surgeries from riding crashes, I’m just doing less of it. Almost tempted to try out Soul Cycle, which provides the calorie burn and the view can be quite rewarding too.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6 View Post

I love the taste of Thai peppers but it could use more heat. If Carolina pepper is unflavored that would be awesome. Plan to do green papaya salad and kick in there reaper 😃
thai pepper best
you want to do thai at berkeley? i know a hole in wall, best.
i dont use menu, chef brings me stuff.
he knows what i want.

Originally Posted by WernerE View Post
After two hand surgeries from riding crashes, I’m just doing less of it. Almost tempted to try out Soul Cycle, which provides the calorie burn and the view can be quite rewarding too.
MTB or road?
i used to crash often and i know every nurse and doc in ER.
now i am more cautious.
althougth i almost hit a police motorcycle today and i flipped him told him he failed to stop. he smiled and took off. asshat.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:59 AM
WernerE
User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
thai pepper best
you want to do thai at berkeley? i know a hole in wall, best.
i dont use menu, chef brings me stuff.
he knows what i want.

MTB or road?
i used to crash often and i know every nurse and doc in ER.
now i am more cautious.
althougth i almost hit a police motorcycle today and i flipped him told him he failed to stop. he smiled and took off. asshat.
Both times on my trusty Davidson road bike (since retired). I was really lucky a third time when a truck cut in front of me and I flew over the bed without breaking anything. That was when I gave up motorcycles.

This thread has got me thinking toward a “real” mountain bike, having ridden Trek MBs in the past. I love things on two wheels - just wish we were more visible to the road warriors on 4 wheels.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

MTB without rockgarden babyheads but just single track and fire road could be nice.
i have been out of touch with MTB for 20 years.
now 29" wheels
and many other cool technologies.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE View Post

Both times on my trusty Davidson road bike (since retired). I was really lucky a third time when a truck cut in front of me and I flew over the bed without breaking anything. That was when I gave up motorcycles.

This thread has got me thinking toward a “real” mountain bike, having ridden Trek MBs in the past. I love things on two wheels - just wish we were more visible to the road warriors on 4 wheels.

Woods are so much safer than the road. Sad but true.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 AM
basil2000
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only do group rides on the road. High percentage of people driving cars are too distracted with their phones. Mostly mb now.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:52 AM
vtgt
User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
i keep hearing this. I MTB years ago, I also used to street ride on designated bike paths. I want to get back into it but Trying to determine what to get back into, dont want to side track the thread but is there a entry-mid level bike that might meet both needs in case I flip flop (6’4 250+ if that matters hence trying to get back into it lol), I don’t think I’m ready for two designated bikes yet. I used to win giant and specialized.

Happy brunching, biking and motoring to everyone. Enjoy the weekend everybody!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:12 AM
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer View Post
My neighbor’s kid was heavily into mountain biking and he was good at it. He has broken so many bones and had countless surgeries that he had to give it up. I definitely wouldn’t consider mountain biking safe.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:16 AM
basil2000
User

Mountain biking is as dangerous as you want to make it. Road biking is dangerous because of things you cant control. Such as a person crashing into you when you are riding on the side of the road.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:23 AM
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000 View Post
Mountain biking is as dangerous as you want to make it. Road biking is dangerous because of things you cant control. Such as a person crashing into you when you are riding on the side of the road.
I agree. It also depends heavily on where you ride your mountain bike. I will say drivers here seem very aware and cautious around bikes on the road.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:26 AM
mclaudio
User

I used to MB all over CA in the 90s. Tahoe, Santa Cruz, Mt Tam, Los Gatos, Big Bear, Mammoth. Hardtail Klein a la Tinker Juarez. Then it was stolen. Moved out of CA coincidentally. But those were the days when I would drive my 911SC loaded with both bike and snowboard gear (including tire chains which I used a couple of times) to Tahoe or Mammoth.

After road bikes in WA since last year, I rediscovered MB and wondered why I waited a decade or so to get into MB in WA and BC.

I must be re-living my youth as I’m more content lugging my bike gear around now in a 911 as opposed to my past Cayennes. Looking forward this winter to put on snow tires and cross the border for some snowboarding/biking.

Last photo is inspiration from Luft5.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 AM
hf1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

^this
Big difference in how much of your own risk is controlled by you vs. someone else.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:56 AM
mclaudio
User

+1. Although running into bears and cougars has its own share of excitement. lol. Last week on a more remote trail, I experienced seeing a black mama bear and its cubs crossing about 30 meters ahead of me.

When I used to do downhill ski runs on mountain bikes, crashing was more common. Now in cross-country trails, injuries are limited to skin wounds due to blackberry thorns in overgrown single tracks. Meanwhile, I’ve had countless close calls with cars/trucks almost hitting me on a road bike.

Just like car track days/W2W racing, know when to stay within 8/10 on DE Cup or 10/10 for qualifying/race.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 PM
Nizer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1 View Post

^this
Big difference in how much of your own risk is controlled by you vs. someone else.

Originally Posted by mclaudio View Post

+1. Although running into bears and cougars has its own share of excitement. lol. Last week on a more remote trail, I experienced seeing a black mama bear and its cubs crossing about 30 meters ahead of me.

When I used to do downhill ski runs on mountain bikes, crashing was more common. Now in cross-country trails, injuries are limited to skin wounds due to blackberry thorns in overgrown single tracks. Meanwhile, I’ve had countless close calls with cars/trucks almost hitting me on a road bike.

Just like car track days/W2W racing, know when to stay within 8/10 on DE Cup or 10/10 for qualifying/race.

Exactly. I can (usually) control the idiot behind the handlebars. I can't control the idiot behind the steering wheel, and they're getting more dangerous by the day. If it's not the soccer mom careening around in a 6,000lb Suburban while texting and yelling at the kids trying to kill you, it's the pissed off driver that doesn't think they should have to share the road with bikes.

I ride road but for a lot reasons - risk, bad back, limited upper body involvement, narrow crappy NE roads, etc. - I tend to reach for the MTB over the road bike 9 of 10 rides. More power to you guys that can sit on the bike and pound out 100 mile rides. I much prefer being up off my seat flowing down a well designed trail. Some of the new MTB-dedicated machine built trail systems out there today are such a leap forward from 10 years ago in terms of fun, workout, safety, etc. that it's transforming the sport.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:30 PM
ChrisF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

After being inspired by Spyerx and his adventures in San Sebastian, I decided to fly down to Barcelona for the weekend. Based on day #1, the cycling is decent but it's hot/humid as hell and just drained me fast. Rode about half my usual then moved on to more important stuff...food!

Shop I used for bike rental/guide.

Riding up the first climb.

Lunch! The first one is a Nectarine Gazpacho that is possibly the best thing I've had this year.

The architecture here is simply amazing. Visited La Sagarada Familia and Park Guell. Both were pretty inspiring. Mooty, you a Gaudi fan? Tomorrow, a little more riding, lots more food.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got back, let's discuss value of porsches

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: