"If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Stupid thread.
I disagree. A respected car journalist opined that he could not understand how anyone could pay $500,000for a $200,000 car especially after driving the .2GT3. Suddenly the defenders and owners of the R attacked the journalist AND those on the board who agreed with him. Totally uncalled for.

Also, this has nothing to do about money or wealth. Many of us see the R as a left over parts special from Porsche. To say we can't afford an R or we couldn't get was the reason for our decidedly unimpressed view of the car is nonsense and insulting. We all have a right to our opinions and should not be denigrated for expressing them.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:09 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 97 Posts

I do not think the reaction was because of one journalist's opinion of the car at a certain price. This is a car forum, after all. We all have our own opinions.

I think the reaction was his use of "f--xing idiot" - uncalled for - for anyone who bought, or is willing, to buy the car at that price.

Uncalled for and sweeping - no use for that really, especially in a forum where presumably everyone is a car enthusiast.

Not high quality journalism.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick
I disagree. A respected car journalist opined that he could not understand how anyone could pay $500,000for a $200,000 car especially after driving the .2GT3. Suddenly the defenders and owners of the R attacked the journalist AND those on the board who agreed with him. Totally uncalled for.

Also, this has nothing to do about money or wealth. Many of us see the R as a left over parts special from Porsche. To say we can't afford an R or we couldn't get was the reason for our decidedly unimpressed view of the car is nonsense and insulting. We all have a right to our opinions and should not be denigrated for expressing them.
The '94 and '97 Turbo S are leftover parts specials from Porsche as well, and the market values those similarly and higher, are those unimpressive as well?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Something tells me that someone who can wire cash for cars like this like some guys pay for lunch through a drive-thru could give a rats *** about what anyone thinks.

Some guys can buy a $500K car as easy as someone buys a Starbucks Latte. If I was the former, I'd be the one having the last laugh here.

I feel more of an idiot for not being in that position yet rather than throwing cheap shots at those who can.
right on.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Stupid thread.
yes

i did drive R.
it's not a car for everyone.
it's a "mood" car... due to my limited english skills

i'll explain another way.
most time i like pdks 991rs, but if i were to just cruise and chill, i would take R.
does it make sense. no
does it need to make sense? no.

i keep all my cars pristine.
but my 72 mut, i purposely keep it ratty. the seat has HOLD in it. i decided it should just be there. no interest fixing it....

see how i treat my cars differently? oh and tnhat 72 aint that cheap.

R vs GT# is similar.
not the same, but sort of the same
Old 05-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the top of the list for the R. Unfortunately was not a 918 vip. Dealer did mention right away about a gt3 in manual.
Analogy for the R situation:
I'm at a bar two old fashions are being ordered. The guy next to me get two cherries, my drink only has one. He paid $50 I paid $20. I prefer my $20 old fashioned. Unless i got Blantons and he got Pappy van winkles. Thank You Porsche for remembering the car enthusiasts.
R is a great car for 200k -250k at 500k i dunno. We will see, I am fed up with pro forma, future earnings, blah blah blah. Collectible cars where truly collectible after 20-25+ years. Ex. baseball cards in the 80s and 90s versus 70s and earlier.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

What was totally uncalled for was a supposedly 'respected' journalist trying to make a clever quip by randomly throwing out an insult about the R in a review that also made no sense wrt to what he said about that same car the last time he drove it.

Bovingdon is supposed to be a pro car reviewer with worthwhile opinions, if he's going to try this sort of clickbait comment for a cheap giggle then he might as well join the rest of the car kardashians.

Incidentially parts bin specials from Porsche have had this tendency to turn out to be very good cars. Don't see any issue with the R being one.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't get me wrong, I love the struggle of the climb up the ladder and I love hustlin as much as the next guy but at some point you have to be happy with where you are at in life and what you have not worrying about what the next guy has. There will always be someone with more money, better looking, in better shape, etc. Enjoy the moment while you have it because we'll all be nothing but dust eventually.
Oh, I hear that... can't disagree with you at all. I just think it's a balance of gratitude and continuing to do what you did to get there. Once you establish the habits that make one successful, it's kind of hard to turn that off. It starts to compound. I've had four very different careers, all of which I've experienced success to some extent (and even some catastrophic failure) and at a stage in life that most would consider "ahead of the curve".

The fire doesn't burn for more things, but it does burn for me to get better at what I do, to continue to grow this business, to pay off my massive business loans (three more years!!), to create more jobs, to help more of my employees buy homes and pay off their debt, to continue to be one of the largest companies in my space. By doing those things, helping others reach a higher level of success and accomplish their goals, I should, in turn, be able to take the next step. I'm just wired that way.

I'll tell you this: I've never looked in my garage with that beautiful GT3 RS sitting in there and thought "man, I wish I had X or I wish I had Y". I look at the car, laugh, and think... "how did this poor kid raised by a single mother in a farm town of Wisconsin end up with this car in his garage?" It's so emotionally overwhelming sometimes that I remember what it was like to have absolutely nothing and I just have no choice but to continue to forge forward.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

^^^
That's really beautiful Tony, you've reached the higher levels of Maslow's hierarchy.. true altruism. Your attitude shows through in your demeanor and donations at Smokies. Good for you on all levels man!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else think it's disingenuous that some of you are labeling the 911 R as a 'parts bin car' just to try and strengthen your argument?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Marvinta
Does anyone else think it's disingenuous that some of you are labeling the 911 R as a 'parts bin car' just to try and strengthen your argument?
That term lost its significance for me a long time ago. Is it considered an insult? .. a statement of fact?.. Porsche's have been parts sharing more than any other sports car manufacturer I can think of. Have you driven an older Ferrari with fiat AC controls? Have you driven an aston with Ford Taurus airbag wheel and window switches? Have you peered under a Lamborghini and seen the parts marked "VAG"... a lego parts assembled Ducati?... nothing new here. The R is just an assembly of well-chosen parts and some stickers. As is every other model.. just a well-chosen assembly of pieces, some more unique than others. We put it up on a pedestal for some reason but it's just a nice 911.. the purest modern one, but there will be others like it just as good or better.. other parts bin cars
Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that it really matters but people keep saying $500K, when what he said was "500 quid" i.e 500 GBP which is about $650k. Now maybe his choice of words was poor or even offensive, but the point is, is it worth more than triple of the price of a .2GT3 to have an R? Maybe for some, who truly value the exclusivity, but for those who thought they were buying the last 500 hp, NA, 6 sp MT Porsche that would ever be made, well they speculated wrong, plain and simple. And if that is some part of what the premium for the R is based on, then at least that element of it's exclusivity is gone.

I would've been happy to get an R but I didn't and if I had, I wouldn't be ordering the .2 I would be equally happy with either for roughly the same money, but don't think either is worth some multiple of the other. I think that's all Jethro was trying to convey.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

+1...
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Calexio-

Nice surreptitious avatar.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:25 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
That term lost its significance for me a long time ago. Is it considered an insult? .. a statement of fact?.. Porsche's have been parts sharing more than any other sports car manufacturer I can think of. Have you driven an older Ferrari with fiat AC controls? Have you driven an aston with Ford Taurus airbag wheel and window switches? Have you peered under a Lamborghini and seen the parts marked "VAG"... a lego parts assembled Ducati?... nothing new here. The R is just an assembly of well-chosen parts and some stickers. As is every other model.. just a well-chosen assembly of pieces, some more unique than others. We put it up on a pedestal for some reason but it's just a nice 911.. the purest modern one, but there will be others like it just as good or better.. other parts bin cars
This is OT but has to do with parts bin. My wife's Lexus needed the windshield replaced. The installer broke a part on the rear view mirror. Lexus said the entire mirror had to be replaced. They don't make parts for it. Cost was $750. After some research the installer discovered the part was the same as on a Camry. Part was $5.00. Mirror fixed.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
This is OT but has to do with parts bin. My wife's Lexus needed the windshield replaced. The installer broke a part on the rear view mirror. Lexus said the entire mirror had to be replaced. They don't make parts for it. Cost was $750. After some research the installer discovered the part was the same as on a Camry. Part was $5.00. Mirror fixed.
AMAZING.

It will be interesting to see what happens to R prices once the tour package for the GT3 is introduced.

Quick Reply: "If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"