Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"

Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Oh, I hear that... can't disagree with you at all. I just think it's a balance of gratitude and continuing to do what you did to get there. Once you establish the habits that make one successful, it's kind of hard to turn that off. It starts to compound. I've had four very different careers, all of which I've experienced success to some extent (and even some catastrophic failure) and at a stage in life that most would consider "ahead of the curve".

The fire doesn't burn for more things, but it does burn for me to get better at what I do, to continue to grow this business, to pay off my massive business loans (three more years!!), to create more jobs, to help more of my employees buy homes and pay off their debt, to continue to be one of the largest companies in my space. By doing those things, helping others reach a higher level of success and accomplish their goals, I should, in turn, be able to take the next step. I'm just wired that way.

I'll tell you this: I've never looked in my garage with that beautiful GT3 RS sitting in there and thought "man, I wish I had X or I wish I had Y". I look at the car, laugh, and think... "how did this poor kid raised by a single mother in a farm town of Wisconsin end up with this car in his garage?" It's so emotionally overwhelming sometimes that I remember what it was like to have absolutely nothing and I just have no choice but to continue to forge forward.
THIS ON SO MANY LEVELS!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
This is OT but has to do with parts bin. My wife's Lexus needed the windshield replaced. The installer broke a part on the rear view mirror. Lexus said the entire mirror had to be replaced. They don't make parts for it. Cost was $750. After some research the installer discovered the part was the same as on a Camry. Part was $5.00. Mirror fixed.
If you pull a modern Porsche apart - you find a lot of parts actually marked with Audi and VW badges and part numbers. Not even a case of them bothering to relabel them as they're in places the public would never normally see.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
Calexio-

Nice surreptitious avatar.
its the same as "kills bugs fast" .. what are you getting at?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was ever thus - had to replace fog light in 928gts. It was an Audi part.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys think Audi parts on a Porsche are bad. Go buy a new Ferrari and enjoy the UI out of a Grand Cherokee. Some of Sergio Marchionne's best work.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
You guys think Audi parts on a Porsche are bad. Go buy a new Ferrari and enjoy the UI out of a Grand Cherokee. Some of Sergio Marchionne's best work.
Yea but go drive a grand Cherokee hellcat, put some horsey badges on it and claim you had them make you a custom SUV. Goes both ways
Old 05-19-2017, 10:34 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

^Your analogy is flawed. It's FCA that's putting the UI from the Jeep and other mainstream products in the Ferrari, not the owner or an aftermarket company.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Hard to call anyone an idiot when they are throwing around 500k for cars. Chances are they have done a few things right.
Absolutely, even more so when you know JB drives a very tired 996 C2S. He doesn't understand the difference between value and price.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
^Your analogy is flawed. It's FCA that's putting the UI from the Jeep and other mainstream products in the Ferrari, not the owner or an aftermarket company.
Yea, uhm.. was clearly a joke.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Heh. Missed that. Happy Friday (and welcome back)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:43 PM
RupeTN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Oh, I hear that... can't disagree with you at all. I just think it's a balance of gratitude and continuing to do what you did to get there. Once you establish the habits that make one successful, it's kind of hard to turn that off. It starts to compound. I've had four very different careers, all of which I've experienced success to some extent (and even some catastrophic failure) and at a stage in life that most would consider "ahead of the curve".

The fire doesn't burn for more things, but it does burn for me to get better at what I do, to continue to grow this business, to pay off my massive business loans (three more years!!), to create more jobs, to help more of my employees buy homes and pay off their debt, to continue to be one of the largest companies in my space. By doing those things, helping others reach a higher level of success and accomplish their goals, I should, in turn, be able to take the next step. I'm just wired that way.

I'll tell you this: I've never looked in my garage with that beautiful GT3 RS sitting in there and thought "man, I wish I had X or I wish I had Y". I look at the car, laugh, and think... "how did this poor kid raised by a single mother in a farm town of Wisconsin end up with this car in his garage?" It's so emotionally overwhelming sometimes that I remember what it was like to have absolutely nothing and I just have no choice but to continue to forge forward.
Right on, Tony! well said.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well this thread now coming up 100 post and 6600 people reading something about someone
being an "F---xing idiot " . such attention is surprising to me . I guess its like a wreck on the interstate and traffic is slowed in both direction due to gawker factor .

Congrats to all R owners and whatever check you stroked to be one , I find it hard to believe you are an idiot and you've been had .

There's a guy in PB who drives his GT silver beauty with green stripes to pic
up groceries at Publix if he spent 500k on his ride to pick up his Oscar Myers
dogs , God Bless him , and if he lucks out he forgot the Grey Poupon so he'll
have to take another ride.

Last edited by R.Deacon; 05-19-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 PM
randr
Banned

^^^I think there is more to it than that. Firstly JB as a general rule does a pretty good review. But like a lot of motoring journos he doesn't understand the value Vs price proposition.

He will (probably) never be wealthy thus doesn't viscerally understand there are many successful people out there in the real world that can afford these cars as "toys" or "long term" investments.

Also, and importantly, his audience is most likely a group of people that can never afford a base Porsche let alone a GT3 or R. To them this sentiment will appeal - to some of us who have worked long and hard for our rewards in life it appears crass.

Will he care - nope
Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM
randr
Banned

lets throw a little humour into the mix

The R and new GT3 are wonderful cars - we are lucky to have such choices.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"