Sponsored by:

"If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Most VIPs knew about the manual in the .2 GT3 long before anybody here did.

You guys think we buy cars because we are flippers? You do realize that the reason why VIPs are VIPs in Porsche's book is because we support Porsche with our hard earned $$$ in the past.

When everyone was writing off the 918, we put down 200K on deposit and bought the car. Some of us go way back to CGT and 959 days.

I still have a 993 GT2 that I bought 15 years ago when it was worth nothing, before all this air cooled craziness started to happen. 964RS? LOL, they were worth under 100K at one point.
I think R owners are being overly sensitive. As I posted before, those that bought one for MSRP have done well. Those that paid substantially over will rue the day they did. Personally, I never would have bought one even if offered(preliminary inquires were made to me without any assurances and I indicated no interest in the car.)

Its nothing more than a freaking 911 with 500hp and MT. Yea they threw in some goodies but the car is similar to the periodic anniversary models they build. Nothing special but marketing. As far as performance, the GT and TT models will spank it at substantially less cost. So please don't attack those that don't think much of the car.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:53 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

Its nothing more than a freaking 911 with 500hp and MT. Yea they threw in some goodies but the car is similar to the periodic anniversary models they build. Nothing special but marketing. As far as performance, the GT and TT models will spank it at substantially less cost. So please don't attack those that don't think much of the car.
Have you driven one? I rest my case.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Jethro who has driven all the top cars has and we know what he said. Oh so has CH and we know what he said. I rest my case.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:26 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 1,000 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Jethro who has driven all the top cars has and we know what he said. Oh so has CH and we know what he said. I rest my case.
Bingo!

There you go boys and girls, this is where the Rennlist community has now become. A bunch of keyboard warriors with no real world driving experience and regurgitating statements/opinions from other people.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:47 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Let's try to agree a peace settlement...(not just with you)

What you say is totally fine with me. It's a personal opinion.

For myself, I'd disagree, because the R is different in the ways I want it to be different - less grip, feels lighter, more agile, more
'Hot rod" than track car etc. It's not as quick, but I don't care. (I will care when it comes to the GT2RS...).

I don't give two hoots about being a 'VIP', as, in many ways, that's like being a hooker's favourite client. My r is not staying in the garage (c3000 miles already), because if my eventual prosperity relies on a relatively mass-produced 911, I will have failed with everything else! Putting miles on an R hopefully won't impact my life; not putting miles on would lessen it!

I'm not overly sensitive, it just p"sses me off when the random R generalisations appear frequently on here from people who haven't even driven them. Even worse when specific threads are started to facilitate the same old stuff.

For a lot of people, it is clearly the justified annoyance at Porsche translating into unjustified enmity towards the car and by extension its owners.

Jethro Bovingdon is contradictory and juvenile but at least he has the excuse of trying to get an audience!

It would be great if everyone else kept an open mind, and didn't just join, or instigate, the bandwagon (until such time as I don't get a GT2RS when it will become the crappiest car Porsche has ever made ;-)).
Bring it over. Love to drive one for the second time. Wasn't impressed the first time. Maybe I was hungover from a night out on Palm Beach??
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We're mixing the 'car' aspect and the 'investment' aspect into one big pot.

Many people bought this as a rare, special edition Porsche to collect or enjoy. It is still just that. Sure, the 991.2 GT3 manual has significantly changed the perception of that car because it has changed the context of where it sits in terms of modern Porsches, but none of that actually changed the freaking car. It's still a great car. No doubt that the .2 has taken a bit of the glow off in terms of perception, but the car is still inherently a great product.

Those that bought at the top and did so primarily as an investment bet surely have to be licking their wounds, but that's more of an investment thing than a car thing, and this is surely still more of a car forum than an investment forum.

The lesson of the R to me is that people buying new Porsches as investments at multiples of the MSRP without knowing what car is going to come next in the lineage are playing a very dangerous game, but it's their game to play... If this had've been the last manual GT 911 they would have been seen as geniuses by some.

The only thing I don't understand about the R is whether people really thought Porsche had developed a new manual gearbox for one limited edition car, given Porsche's history making the most of their investments through multiple applications of the same technology, and then tweaking and honing it to keep it fresh.

Still a great car. Still rare. Still special.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unotaz
Bingo!

There you go boys and girls, this is where the Rennlist community has now become. A bunch of keyboard warriors with no real world driving experience and regurgitating statements/opinions from other people.
Why should I believe a bias opinion from an R owner over an objective opinion from auto journalist? They don't have a skin in the game other than give their opinions.

As I said, don't be defensive about the car. It will hold its value for those that paid MSRP. But if you want to be objective, take your rose colored glasses off and look at performance to value numbers.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Something tells me that someone who can wire cash for cars like this like some guys pay for lunch through a drive-thru could give a rats *** about what anyone thinks.

Some guys can buy a $500K car as easy as someone buys a Starbucks Latte. If I was the former, I'd be the one having the last laugh here.

I feel more of an idiot for not being in that position yet rather than throwing cheap shots at those who can.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Something tells me that someone who can wire cash for cars like this like some guys pay for lunch through a drive-thru could give a rats *** about what anyone thinks.

Some guys can buy a $500K car as easy as someone buys a Starbucks Latte. If I was the former, I'd be the one having the last laugh here.

I feel more of an idiot for not being in that position yet rather than throwing cheap shots at those who can.
Agree 100%. More power to them.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Ain't that the truth! I'm sitting here in my mid 30s thinking "damn, I have to get to THAT level!" ... love the specialness and throwback personality of the R.
Great for the guys who own them; MSRP or not... if you can do it then do it!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Must say, some of them really did some unique builds. Can't argue with these.

If you had $50,000,000 in the bank, would you think twice about wiring $500K for one of these? I wouldn't.

Name:  photo829.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  817.7 KBName:  photo77.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  874.1 KBName:  photo712.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  313.0 KBName:  photo116.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  304.8 KB
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Ain't that the truth! I'm sitting here in my mid 30s thinking "damn, I have to get to THAT level!" ... love the specialness and throwback personality of the R.
Great for the guys who own them; MSRP or not... if you can do it then do it!
Don't get me wrong, I love the struggle of the climb up the ladder and I love hustlin as much as the next guy but at some point you have to be happy with where you are at in life and what you have not worrying about what the next guy has. There will always be someone with more money, better looking, in better shape, etc. Enjoy the moment while you have it because we'll all be nothing but dust eventually.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Stupid thread.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Don't get me wrong, I love the struggle of the climb up the ladder and I love hustlin as much as the next guy but at some point you have to be happy with where you are at in life and what you have not worrying about what the next guy has. There will always be someone with more money, better looking, in better shape, etc. Enjoy the moment while you have it because we'll all be nothing but dust eventually.
I totally agree ....

It's just those who feel the need to try and be financial advisors to those who probably don't need it. If anything, should be the other way around.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Stupid thread.

That about sums it up

Name:  photo166.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  98.8 KB

Name:  photo381.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  141.3 KB

Last edited by STG; 05-19-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply: "If you paid this for a 911R-you are a f--xing idiot"