Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

imagine going back to your parked 991GT3RS and you have to look at this:

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Can someone explain to me how they took off the front wheels without having someone sit in the car, fire it up, and hold the steering wheel and brakes while someone uses the gargantuan breaker bar and centerlock tool?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Can someone explain to me how they took off the front wheels without having someone sit in the car, fire it up, and hold the steering wheel and brakes while someone uses the gargantuan breaker bar and centerlock tool?
Looking at your avatar, I have more and more questions... lol
I finally have this down to a science without breaking my back, but I can't imagine this wasn't a very well thought out and orchestrated plan by people who knew exactly what they're doing. Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tonymission
Looking at your avatar, I have more and more questions... lol
I finally have this down to a science without breaking my back, but I can't imagine this wasn't a very well thought out and orchestrated plan by people who knew exactly what they're doing. Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Lol! I put a lot of trust in my buddy who was holding the brakes and the steering wheel

I think you are right. Insurance scam sounds likely. This is what happens when someone thinks buying an RS is 'money in the bank' and things don't turn out their way.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

That is because you are looking at things from the owner's perspective. The owner doesn't want to mess up the fins and paint on his CL nut. I have an impact with so much power,it will spin the wheel with the nut. LOL.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
That is because you are looking at things from the owner's perspective. The owner doesn't want to mess up the fins and paint on his CL nut. I have an impact with so much power,it will spin the wheel with the nut. LOL.
That is the problem, though. You can't get the nut off unless someone is on powered brakes because the torque required to loosen it will spin the wheels even if the car is on the ground.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

That is the problem, though. You can't get the nut off unless someone is on powered brakes because the torque required to loosen it will spin the wheels even if the car is on the ground.
That nut requires 440 FT/LBS of torque to loosen. The wheel will spin from applying it with a breaker bar. My gun has 780 FT/LBS of loosening torque,which gets applied directly to the nut without rotational force. You would basically have to hold one hand on the tire while using the gun with the other. Plus,you don't know...they might've have loosened the CLs while the car was still on the ground...
Old 05-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Too weird of a story! So its an imported car? (does have both german and swedish reg plates) from germany to sweden, then wheels taken off, put back on stolen, driven 1200km, found and stolen again. Could it be something weird with the keys when they imported it from germany?

Maybe they just switched plates to "import" it to Germany.

Strange story.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu
That nut requires 440 FT/LBS of torque to loosen. The wheel will spin from applying it with a breaker bar. My gun has 780 FT/LBS of loosening torque,which gets applied directly to the nut without rotational force. You would basically have to hold one hand on the tire while using the gun with the other. Plus,you don't know...they might've have loosened the CLs while the car was still on the ground...
You can't loosen the CL with the car on the ground. The wheels will spin. Be glad you don't have any experience with these wheels. They are a royal pain in the ***.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Mechanicalrepair
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My workshop air gun will remove centre locks with ease, the centre lock won't look pretty afterwards though, how do you think the race teams get them off and on?

Carl
Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mechanicalrepair
My workshop air gun will remove centre locks with ease, the centre lock won't look pretty afterwards though, how do you think the race teams get them off and on?

Carl
Exactly!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Hmmm, yes they do. I had this happen in my driveway a few years ago. And yea, wheel locks worked real well....
My bad. They need to let the car down on something so they can take their jack back with them.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I think the owner is just corner balancing his RS
Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mechanicalrepair

Carl
1). The race center locks and street center locks have nothing in common

2). The race teams have a driver IN the car who can hold the brakes! Lol

Anyway, I concede it is possible with the right tools.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
Too weird of a story!
So its an imported car? (does have both german and swedish reg plates) from germany to sweden, then wheels taken off, put back on stolen, driven 1200km, found and stolen again.

Could it be something weird with the keys when they imported it from germany?
Reads like a Nigerian scam..

Quick Reply: imagine going back to your parked 991GT3RS and you have to look at this: