Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

This thread reminds me that the best money I ever spent on cars was joining a private track. To me it's not only just about courtesy, but more importantly safety.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Can you post that vid. I need a laugh. Mike
somewhere someone has a video of me with middle finger up approaching T14... i have since calmed down a lot
Old 05-15-2017, 06:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I use to run a mk1 spec gti. Talk about hand signals!!! Some mustang at LS would not let me pass he would just gun it at the straight only to catch him on the next corner. There was a hand signal but not from me. Mustang driver would wave his hand "bye bye" at exit of t11. Mike
Old 05-16-2017, 05:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick follow-up to note that David Ray (HOD "owner" and chief honcho) reached out to me to:

1. Apologize (completely unnecessary)
2. Reiterate that they do very much care about stuff like this (and the belligerent BMW driver in same session)
3. Advise they are in discussion with HOD team members and track staff about it.
4. Strongly encourage real-time hot pit feedback from drivers who are experiencing uncooperative fellow drivers so that they can take action (they want to).

Bottom line- once the Group Leader in this situation was made aware of situation they did take action. Emphasis at future drivers meeting/download will be placed on getting traffic around you and do more of it in brake zone as opposed to corner exits: as Joe noted, tough to get a run out when slow in, advanced drivers can be well served with mutually cooperative passing into a brake zone.

I've had personal experience with two event hosts over the years who were not receptive to feedback, and I'll never run with them again. The leadership at HOD did welcome my (our) feedback (as always) and we had a very positive discussion.

This was a good thread for some venting and, positive, constructive airing of grievance.

David said he would quote me when I noted GT3's perhaps were becoming the Corvettes of previous years in regards to the manner in which they were driven! (present company excluded of course, you know what I mean)

Onward upward!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was thinking of doing my first car track day with them this summer as well, but this is giving me a little pause. I would have thought they'd at least split the groups up based on a lap time range and move people up or down as necessary throughout the day. That's generally how they do it on motos, though you still get some of this nonsense on some days. Rarely in the true A group though, as typically everyone there at least knows how to be predictable.
Don't bail out on doing a track day because of this thread. I started in earnest a year ago and have had nothing but good experiences. What I'm reading here isn't representative of anything I've seen in the novice groups of multiple organizers.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Don't bail out on doing a track day because of this thread. I started in earnest a year ago and have had nothing but good experiences. What I'm reading here isn't representative of anything I've seen in the novice groups of multiple organizers.
I agree, I'm just waiting for clearance from my doctors. Still under 'no contact' orders from the Doc and need to be 100 symptom free for an extended period before I go out on track. Race against time to do it this summer.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
A quick follow-up to note that David Ray (HOD "owner" and chief honcho) reached out to me to:

1. Apologize (completely unnecessary)
2. Reiterate that they do very much care about stuff like this (and the belligerent BMW driver in same session)
3. Advise they are in discussion with HOD team members and track staff about it.
4. Strongly encourage real-time hot pit feedback from drivers who are experiencing uncooperative fellow drivers so that they can take action (they want to).

Bottom line- once the Group Leader in this situation was made aware of situation they did take action. Emphasis at future drivers meeting/download will be placed on getting traffic around you and do more of it in brake zone as opposed to corner exits: as Joe noted, tough to get a run out when slow in, advanced drivers can be well served with mutually cooperative passing into a brake zone.

I've had personal experience with two event hosts over the years who were not receptive to feedback, and I'll never run with them again. The leadership at HOD did welcome my (our) feedback (as always) and we had a very positive discussion.

This was a good thread for some venting and, positive, constructive airing of grievance.

David said he would quote me when I noted GT3's perhaps were becoming the Corvettes of previous years in regards to the manner in which they were driven! (present company excluded of course, you know what I mean)

Onward upward!
You should give NASA NORCAL a try Pete : ). All other DE organized will be angels from there on : ). Mike
Old 05-16-2017, 09:04 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

^

So true!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
You should give NASA NORCAL a try Pete : ). All other DE organized will be angels from there on : ). Mike
LMAO, now that you retired from tracking, no one spins out ROUTINELY in front of me anymore. no wonder i am losing interest tracking.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LMAO, now that you retired from tracking, no one spins out ROUTINELY in front of me anymore. no wonder i am losing interest tracking.
Speaking of spinning out. This driver did a great job of getting out of the way after.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^ At least u know I'm predictable : ). I lost my passion for tracking. But I can say I had my best times with Mooty. Mike
Old 05-17-2017, 12:01 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ yeah, anyone else behind you, you would been hit 10x by now.
it was hard to control my laughing in the car so as not to drive into the dirt watching your aerobatics.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^My advantage though when I turn -u just never know- lol!!! I do spin safely though- give me that : ). Mike
Old 05-17-2017, 01:09 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Anyway- things can get crappy at times. Just live and learn about it. Only control you have is yourself. Mike

Quick Reply: Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness