Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness

Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ng crcs
Joe.. sorry I wasn't clear about the comment.
I was talking about ben's video of blackgt3 and the line it was on. 😬
Oh ****!!! Sorry!!!! I'll delete
I owe you an apology in person
Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lmao! Joe has a hair trigger.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

East to get fatigued from the crowd noise on these forums.
My signal was fuzzy.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
Lmao! Joe has a hair trigger.
Who, me?

Yes. I'm volatile. Lol

East to get fatigued from the crowd noise on these forums.
My signal was fuzzy.
Thanks for understanding. Sorry again about the misunderstanding
Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

No worries.
Good to stick up for a track bud.
And I DO love the camo on the white car!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 PM
rsms
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I was in a slower group
Old 05-15-2017, 01:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Why the hell is hod not dropping this guy down a group? Is this what I have to look forward with them in a couple weeks?
I was thinking of doing my first car track day with them this summer as well, but this is giving me a little pause. I would have thought they'd at least split the groups up based on a lap time range and move people up or down as necessary throughout the day. That's generally how they do it on motos, though you still get some of this nonsense on some days. Rarely in the true A group though, as typically everyone there at least knows how to be predictable.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

HoD is a good org. In this thread, we're pointing out our worst experiences after all.

HoD tends to run a bit more expensive than few other local clubs. This leaves a lot of the Sunday Racers out and you generally get well maintained vehicles.

I wouldn't use this thread to gauge HoD's quality overall.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't usually follow this forum but interesting topic. Never plan on HOD and only do GGR/TH. As I had acquired GT4 and out for first run last Sept. Assigned to Blue ('cause I had GT4) and should have been in Green, having never driven GT4 on track but always 911. New experience. Well, they combined both run groups so no difference which group I was assigned to. While relearning the drive on the GT4, (I don't like "pit lectures") unfortunately, I spent more time checking the mirror and doing "point buys" due to the more "seasoned" GT3 folks appearing out of nowhere! Yeah, it was all fun and everyone was happy (I think!). As such, I highly recommend private tack days for you guys that would avoid bottlenecks and dealing with intermediate novices like me...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rick-A-Shay; 05-15-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol! It's always fun watching others getting frustrated. I've got video of mech33 waving his hands around at the 'ustcc' driver that makes me burst out, and I laughed watching Pete wave his hands too. We've all been there.
Can you post that vid. I need a laugh. Mike
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was thinking of doing my first car track day with them this summer as well, but this is giving me a little pause. I would have thought they'd at least split the groups up based on a lap time range and move people up or down as necessary throughout the day. That's generally how they do it on motos, though you still get some of this nonsense on some days. Rarely in the true A group though, as typically everyone there at least knows how to be predictable.
I would encourage you to still run with HOD. They will do a great job getting you reacquainted to the track in a car. I don't think anyone else does a better job, to be honest.

The only organization that splits up based on lap times is SpeedSF. The problem is, there are a bunch of people who ignore the lap time restrictions and sign up for the run group anyway. Some people think the lap time is based on randy pobst's time and not their own, some people cram themselves in because the other run group is sold out, some people just don't care. It's hard to enforce. PCA has started to dabble with run groups based on lap time. Most organizations do not. I get a little worried about basing run groups on lap times because some of these guys just work on lap times, while other important things like what to do when something goes wrong, and track courtesy, gets ignored. Instructor eval and sign off is still the best way, but also the most difficult logistically.

Originally Posted by RobertR1
HoD is a good org. In this thread, we're pointing out our worst experiences after all.

HoD tends to run a bit more expensive than few other local clubs. This leaves a lot of the Sunday Racers out and you generally get well maintained vehicles.

Agree. Every single organization gets their share of problems. Anybody hear about the guy who lied about his track day experience, lost it down the corkscrew, and then proceeded to drive back up the corkscrew to 'give it another go'???? Yes, it happened. Could have happened to any organization. HOD is the most expensive, but I haven't seen as much of an advantage by paying their premium lately...

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
I don't usually follow this forum but interesting topic. Never plan on HOD and only do GGR/TH. As I had acquired GT4 and out for first run last Sept. Assigned to Blue ('cause I had GT4) and should have been in Green, having never driven GT4 on track but always 911. New experience. Well, they combined both run groups so no difference which group I was assigned to. While relearning the drive on the GT4, (I don't like "pit lectures") unfortunately, I spent more time checking the mirror and doing "point buys" due to the more "seasoned" GT3 folks appearing out of nowhere! Yeah, it was all fun and everyone was happy (I think!). As such, I highly recommend private tack days for you guys that would avoid bottlenecks and dealing with intermediate novices like me...
Rick, you are the type of guy I would have no problems sharing an open track with at a private day or a regular day. You are track aware and courteous, and that is all anyone can ask for. Nobody cares if you are fast or slow. I'd share a track with you any day over the black GT3.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Can you post that vid. I need a laugh. Mike
LOL. I was gonna do a compilation video of the guy, but the fire in me burned out and I never got around to doing it. I'll let Mech33 post if he wants to. The funniest thing was that the ustcc 'racer' admitted that he has never done a DE, so the organizer forced him to do a session in the novice group. LOL.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:26 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 413 Posts

Been there many times and I am at best an average drover with decent 360 degree awareness. My goal on track is to not hold anybody up and I do not want to be held up. IF everybody followed that rule no matter what run group think about the crabbing sessions we wouldn't be having on RL.

Peter
Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Default An ot note after watching a number of Joe's in-cars

over the past months is the orientation of thumbs on the wheel.
May be as important to him as helmet,Hans,harness,half-cage;since he spends a lot of off-track time fixing others thumbs (and other appendage parts). A lesson I try to remember any time my hands are on the wheel.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

over the past months is the orientation of thumbs on the wheel.
May be as important to him as helmet,Hans,harness,half-cage;since he spends a lot of off-track time fixing others thumbs (and other appendage parts). A lesson I try to remember any time my hands are on the wheel.
Yeah, I still have a habit of hooking my thumb on the wheel during hard turns. I've been trying to break that habit. The more people pound it into my head, the better chance I'll have at doing it consistently. Thanks, man.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
i love let ppl pass. chasing is better than being chased. but everyone is different.
and i dont pass anyone without point by unless i trust you.
many blind drivers out there.
Yup, yup, and yup! My best laps are always when chasing. And I trust no one I don't know.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
The track's corner worker staff bear a large responsibility for this type of behavior. I didn't watch all the video to the end, but I didn't notice a single blue passing flag. I've encountered this more than once at DE days, and I've complained to the staff that they didn't black flag a driver, despite going 2+ laps with repeated blue flags.

I strongly encourage you to write to David Vodden at TH and include the video links. Im convinced heads-up corner workers can help to mitigate this behavior. Then it's up to the event organizer to toss out the repeat offenders.
Yup, good idea. I emailed David Ray and Dave Vodden. I've personally seen David Ray go talk to problem drivers in the paddock, so I know he cares. The admin people at TH are truly good and decent people and we are lucky for that! Just need to make them aware of leaks in the ship.

Originally Posted by RobertR1

I agree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness