Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 01:12 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

#whyidoprivatedays when I DE

Every knuckle head with a GT car thinks they are pat long

That being said being said even in race groups people do hair brained stupid stuff that wrecks others race cars - I won't digress though
Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

wow, who woke me up. i dozed off with acid green deviating stitching as it may or may not devalue me RS.

Originally Posted by Z356
Welcome back to Rennlist, Savyboy.
We miss you. And we also heard that
Andreas misses you too & is always
asking when you are buying another
gt3 or gt2? He recently told me he
is willing to autograph your next
gt car - anytime, anywhere!

So, come back, Shane...I mean Pete!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale, AZ
LMAO, pete will be back. once porsche ADM drama is over. i have been thinking of leaving as well. getting too old for dancing naked over fire hoop to score a car now days.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Things like this are, unfortunately, inevitable with open, public events.

The only real way to avoid this is to have private, or semi-private events, where if you don't know the other drivers directly, you know them indirectly (i.e., you know the guy who knows the other guy).
u are right but you know private days are getting harder to do. i have 2 committed. after that i am done putting them up. i think it's easier to run for president than to do a private day.

====>

i love let ppl pass. chasing is better than being chased. but everyone is different.
and i dont pass anyone without point by unless i trust you.
many blind drivers out there.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Why the hell is hod not dropping this guy down a group? Is this what I have to look forward with them in a couple weeks?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I know its not fun for Joe,
but the video evidence of the frustration
with the hands thrown up,
and the occasional middle finger
- those crack me up every time.

And the idea of Joe Meditating between sessions
is pretty funny too...
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by laranja
I know its not fun for Joe,
but the video evidence of the frustration
with the hands thrown up,
and the occasional middle finger
- those crack me up every time.

And the idea of Joe Meditating between sessions
is pretty funny too...
Lol! It's always fun watching others getting frustrated. I've got video of mech33 waving his hands around at the 'ustcc' driver that makes me burst out, and I laughed watching Pete wave his hands too. We've all been there.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
You are absolutely correct about my driving. In my case, I was fighting my tendency to go too hot into corners all day. Never claimed to be a pro driver nor boasted about my driving skills or there lack of so not sure where your going with that. This thread pertains to a situation on track that unfortunately occurs much too often at DE days. Group leader of the run group wanted cooperative passing. Didn't see too much cooperation from the driver in question. Yes I could have potentially passed him in the way you described but Max points out why that's not feasable in this situation. Plus, I simply did not trust that he would't do something erratic.

Awareness and courtesy goes a long way on track. This particular driver was lacking both.
Ben, he's another one of 'those guys' that doesn't get it. You'll always get these guys that think, oh it looks like you're only 1-2 seconds faster, just back off a little and get some space, and then it will be smooth sailing.... Except 1-2 seconds is still a lot and there's really a 10 second difference. You are 2 seconds faster than me in the GT3 when I'm in the GT4 and you are pretty much gone after 2 laps

Then you get the guys that say, well, if it's open passing, pass him. Except it's not a race, nobody is willing to risk car contact by dive bombing, you don't know or trust the guy, and there is a 100hp differential to boot. Open passing is not an invitation to hog the track for yourself and ignore everyone behind you.

The peanut gallery is never ending. You and I are not pros, but we aren't slow either.

Mark/moto one, I've posted my driving and my lap times. Let's see yours since you're much better. I've got lots to learn still.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Why the hell is hod not dropping this guy down a group? Is this what I have to look forward with them in a couple weeks?
It's a risk no matter what organization you run with these days.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 AM
Natey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That guy in the McLaren though. Kinda makes you want to get in a well sorted 914 or Miata and embarrass the guy back to skip barber, doesn't he?

More dollars than sense. I agree 100% with Chromium, dangerous behavior on the track should be recognized and dealt with by the corner workers. That's what they're there for. Wave them flags! Make eye contact!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:09 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Lol! It's always fun watching others getting frustrated. I've got video of mech33 waving his hands around at the 'ustcc' driver that makes me burst out, and I laughed watching Pete wave his hands too. We've all been there.
LOL, that guy!! Drove me crazy for a session or two... he was treating the DE like a NASA event.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Great thread. I'm with Mooty. I rather let someone pass and attempt to chase (I know I'm slow).

I ran into these situations all the time with my old mini in group B.

By far the best experience (most funny) I had was my first day on track with my TTRS. There was a guy out there in group A with us driving a V10 R8. Mind you we all had to have coaches in the car for group A.

The driver had an audi jacket, audi hat, audi shirt, audi folding chair, audi lanyard and who knows what else audi branded. He was an obvious fan of his car. The guy was all over the track and not letting me pass in the TT. The coach suggested I get closer to the R8 because maybe he didn't think I wanted to pass because of the buffer I was giving. I was still a bit new so I was giving the guy lots of space. I complied with the coach and got closer. This really caused the R8 driver to get excited. So much that he dropped two wheels in the dirt and got sideways right after the andretti hairpin on the right side of the track over the curbing. I still could never figure out why the coach in the R8 didn't tell him to point me by.

HOD says all of the right things but it seems sometimes they should be more hard edged with people who don't follow the rules. One of which is always letting faster drivers pass safely.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM
richk
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

One of the best ways to get faster is let someone pass and try to follow his line!!!

Very rude behavior by black GT3.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:35 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

That guy in the black GT3 looked like he was racing. That's a problem.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:41 AM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

bensf's video looks more like an advanced apex avoidance demo than a racing line.
Terry Geiser up on the 4th floor of the tower should add this to his instructional collection of what the fast line isn't.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Deleted
Old 05-15-2017, 11:55 AM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Joe.. sorry I wasn't clear about the comment.
I was talking about ben's video of blackgt3 and the line it was on. 😬

Quick Reply: Thunderhill HOD Hooked On Driving Friday May 12 - GT3 Wildness