Notices

OT: Ford GT...why Porsche will possibly never beat it

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Kudos to Ford for building it. Even if Porsche does build a 960/FeFi/whatever, it will probably be on the R8/Huracan or MQB platform and therefore a lot less interesting.

Though it probably would not fit, IMO the GT would have been more interesting with a Voodoo V8. Cross-branding Ecoboost from the 1.0 liter 3-cylinder to pickup trucks to a LeMans racer doesn't work for me.
I agree. Had it been fitted with a V8 my heart would be pineing for one. V6 has me hohum but it is cool looking great peice of kit as they say.

The Voodoo FPC would not survive racing application. GT350RC vibrated itself to death and it was a maintenance nightmare. They buried them out back. The official Ford line is the FPC are reserved for the GT350 road cars. Hooey.

Ever wonder why the new Mustang GT4 is running a Boss 302 drive train albeit with a 5.2 instead of the 5.0?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Alright, time for the mid-engined Corvette...
All automobile brands have been losing their identities by moving towards the middle for a while now...that the Corvette and 911 may both end up mid-engined in their next generations is, IMO, both ironic and sad...despite how good they each may be.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did someone put this car down because it doesn't have enough trunk room?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:31 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

IMO, the car is stunning to look at in person, incredible tech, etc., but it really does need a bigger, high-revving NA engine to steal my heart.

In my head, a supercar sounds like a Carrera GT or LFA.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 05-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default EVO review pretty honest about the car

Not a very good review for someone who would put down $450,000 for a car. Most of those people who can afford that will rarely ever track it. Road driving seems to be quite anti-climatic, with the unsatisfying engine noise, noisy cabin and large proportions and turbo lag. Sounds like the Nissan GTR and the last Z06’s that I had. Those companies can engineer a very fast car by forgoing certain aspects like weight, agility, responsiveness, tactile sensations, creature comforts, refinement, etc, but the true sports car manufacturers can offer a more complete package for both road and track. That’s why I never even entered the “lottery” for one of these even though I had the previous one and that would have been very good on my “resume” to get this one. I thought it was just way over-priced. An American V6 for $450,000? I don’t care if it has wings and can fly. I would rather have a Porsche or Ferrari for that price, not just because of the brand, but also because of the overall package and “not having an engine derived from a Ford F150". People who can afford this is not buying it to race for money against other cars. They are buying a toy, and there are “toys” out there with more refinement from companies that have even more heritage and prestige. A Ferrari 488 Speciale (or whatever they call it when it comes out next year) would probably have greater performance and overall package when it comes out, and it would have a lower MSRP and it would be a FERRARI! A McLaren 720 S would probably already have greater performance and refinement and is available now and be half the price, and it is a McLaren! There is something wrong with the equation from Ford. The last one was a great deal at $155K. This one at $450,000 is, like Tesla says, “Ludicrous”.

http://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/19343/2...d=187670317875

2017 Ford GT review - America's answer to the hypercar elite?

Too many of the things it does on a road
It would be all-too easy to introduce Ford’s new £450,000 supercar with endless references to yesteryear – because we all know where the story for the Ford GT began. Henry Ford tries to buy Ferrari to win at Le Mans in the 1960s, Enzo says get stuffed, Henry builds his own version of a Ferrari to do the job instead – called the GT40 – and puts one right up Enzo, the end.

Or, in fact, just the very beginning for the Ford GT as things would turn out.

Except there’s an intriguing new story doing the rounds about the birth of the latest Ford GT, and it only came to light at the car’s launch recently in the US. Because initially Ford wasn't going to build a new GT at all, it seems. Instead it wanted to return to Le Mans with a Mustang, and to then create a road car on the back of the racing project to market the Mustang globally.

> Ford GT40 - birth of an evo icon

For one whole year, in fact, Ford tried and failed to come up with an uber racing Mustang to take on the 911s, Corvettes, Ferraris and Astons that compete at Le Mans each year. At the same time they tried to craft a road-going version to co-incide with the Le Mans project to celebrate the company’s 50th anniversary of its victory at the famous 24 hour race.

And then something called Project Silver happened. After a year Ford reached the painful realisation that the car they’d been attempting to engineer for the last year had begun to bear no resemblance whatsoever to a road going Mustang. Which meant the marketing would never work. And at that point the idea to go back to Le Mans with a Mustang was canned, and replaced with a top secret skunkworks – Project Silver – to build an all-new GT to take to Le Mans, plus a corresponding road car to go with it. And thus, at the end of 2013, the idea for an all new Ford GT was born.

The road car we drive here has been a while coming since then, true, to a point where some cynics have already accused it of being mildly off the pace beside cars like the McLaren 720S, especially with a price tag over two times that of the McLaren. So perhaps the best way to tee-up the all new left hand-drive only GT is to remind you of some key facts about it, just in case you think it’s already old news.

Tech highlights

At the centre of the new GT lies a carbon fibre tub with pushrod suspension front and rear, plus a seven speed dual clutch gearbox that’s integrated within the rear suspension. All the body panels are made from carbon fibre, the vast majority of its metal components are made from aluminium. All up it weighs just 1385kg dry, so call it around 1450kg with fluids. This makes the GT lighter than any of its more obvious rivals from Ferrari, McLaren et al, says Ford.

> McLaren 720S review

The brakes are by carbon ceramic discs all round, and the wheels are 20x 8.5in forged alloys at the front with 20 x 11.5in forged alloys at the rear (or full carbon fibre wheels of the same size can be specified for quite a few pounds extra, though Ford won't disclose how many other than to potential customers). Tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, 325/30s at the rear rear, 245/35s up front.

The car has five different drive modes (see more detail below) plus a computer controlled aerodynamic package that helps it develop less drag but more downforce than any rival, says Ford. There’s also an electronic airbrake at the back and winglets at the front that move to alter the centre of pressure as the downforce increases at speed. Without these the GT would develop too much downforce at the front, relative to the rear, says Ford.

In track mode the car lowers by 50mm at the flick of a switch, and the springs effectively become 100 per cent stiffer than in sport mode.

Engine, transmission, 0-60mph time

The GT is powered by a 3.5-litre twin turbo V6 that’s been tried and tested, and which has won several times, in sports car racing. It develops 638bhp at 6250rpm and a peak of 550lb ft at 5900rpm, with the vast majority of that peak figure available flat between just over 3000rpm and just under 6000rpm. It features five different drive modes; wet, comfort, sport, track and v-max. In sport and track there is an anti-lag system that all-but eliminates lag, says Ford.

The gearbox is a seven-speed dual clutch that’s integrated into the rear suspension, and which is ultra lightweight in design.

Zero to 60mph takes 2.8sec, the top speed is 216mph and, just guessing, we’d say 0-100mph in somewhere between five and six seconds.

What’s it like to drive?

Even in the first few feet of travel the GT feels incredibly alive beneath your backside, in a way that only proper racing cars do. The seat base is fixed so you move the pedals and wheel towards you, a la LaFerrari. And to begin with the suspension is compliant but very stiff in its feel, and supremely controlled in its response; the braking power also immense.

The noise from the twin-turbo V6 engine and the acceleration it can so readily generate is also deeply racing car in its feel and delivery. At low revs it sounds grainy, angry, industrial, and not especially pleasant to be honest. But as the revs rise past 2500rpm the sound changes, the acceleration gets much stronger as the V6 homes in on its torque peak – which is basically flat between 3200-5800rpm – and the cumulative effect is utterly dramatic, no mistake whatsoever about that.

And then there’s the way the gearbox operates, slicing up or down through the ratios with a speed and precision that you couldn't hope to replicate with a third pedal and conventional gear-lever. After five laps in it driven at a reasonable lick, all but the most skilful drivers would probably want to calm down a bit and have a rest, so much grip does it generate through the corners, down the straights, in the traction zones, everywhere. And after another five laps you would definitely need a lie down to have a good think about what this car is doing, how it is doing it, and how you can get even more out of it. Which is where the Track mode setting comes in.

> evo Leaderboard: the world's fastest cars tested on track

To engage this you need to come to a complete stop, flick a switch on the steering wheel and then, thump, the thing drops instantly by 50mm, reducing the overall ride height above the ground to just 70mm. So you go out in it again and that’s when the real monster that lies at the heart of the Ford GT reveals its true being. It doesn't feel any faster in a straight line in Track mode (because it isn’t) nor do the gear changes feel any more aggressive than they do in Sport – which gets an anti-lag system. But the turn in response, the body control, the perception of grip and, most of all, the subjective power of the brakes (weirdly) all go to another level again.

In Track mode the way the GT stops for and turns into corners becomes a little bit ridiculous, frankly. You also notice the absence of weight that it carries, and the pure precision this lends it, everywhere. In Track mode it is fair to say that the GT is utterly spectacular to drive. In Track mode, in fact, the GT feels quite a lot like a full blown racing car, a fact that even its creators admit is not at all far from the truth.

So what’s the problem with the Ford GT? And what are the aforementioned not-so-incredible aspects of the way it drives? OK here goes – and sorry about this Ford but I suspect that in your heart of hearts you know what’s coming here anyway – on the road the GT feels and sounds and just is …a little bit rough around the edges, a touch uncouth, and just not as refined mechanically as you might expect.

On the track, at maximum attack, all the fizzes and vibrations and noises that accompany your every move, most of which are down to the carbon fibre tub, simply aren’t an issue because everything is focused on going faster. But on the road they start to irritate you after a while. And after a long time behind the wheel I suspect they’d drive you round the twist.

Conversation is only just about possible at 50mph, so much of a din is there on the move, and at 70-80mph it’s so loud inside the cabin you need to shout to be heard by a passenger. It also feels very wide and very big out on the public road, intimidatingly so on occasions. And the fuel range is borderline hopeless with a 16mpg/57.5-litre tank combo.

Twenty years ago all of this would have been fine, and the GT’s brawny rawness would have been deemed perfectly acceptable. Appealing, even, in a macho kind of way. But things have come a long way in terms of supercar usability during that time, and in 2017 the GT is nowhere beside its more obvious rivals in this respect. It also has a boot that is smaller than tiny, with no usable luggage space whatsoever inside it.

The ride, on the other hand, is actually not bad on the road so long as you select the comfort setting on the electronic dampers. But then there are other issues surrounding the brakes, which under light loads become difficult to modulate smoothly; the steering, which suffers from kickback on rougher surfaces; and even the engine noise, which is always very loud indeed, can't be dialled back in any way, and has a lack of refinement to it in the mid-range that, again, you simply never notice on the track.

Bottom line; the Ford GT is an epic car to drive – on a track – because fundamentally it’s a racing car at heart. No question about that. But on the road it’s only so-so. Whether this will matter one iota to the 1000 owners that will take delivery of this extraordinary car over the next three years is highly debatable however. The answer is; almost certainly not.

Price and rivals

At £450,000 the GT either looks very expensive indeed beside a McLaren 720S (£209,000) or a Ferrari 488 GTB (£183,000), or incredibly good value beside a McLaren P1, Porsche 918 or Ferrari LaFerrari.

In truth it’s not really a P1 rival, so the price does look somewhat high beside those lesser rivals, both of which are at least as quick as the GT in the real world, and make better road cars.

Having said that, the entire three year production run of 1000 cars is completely sold out; Ford took orders of interest from over 8000 wanting potential owners, so maybe it’s Ford who has got the pricing of its car right, and McLaren and Ferrari who should be charging more.

Either way, it’ll more than likely go up in value, not down as it matures, and becomes increasingly desirable.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

I think you guys might be missing the point of my original post.

Porsche is struggling with their new cars in Le Mans/GT racing while the Ford GTs continue to wipe the floor. So this video gave me some insight as to why.

Ford started with a clean sheet to build a race car first which is amply demonstrated by the design and the technology they have built into the car. Whereas Porsche have taken an exceptional road car and tried to turn it into a winning race car. And even acknowledging that the RSRs bear little resemblance to the stock 911, the approach Ford took seems to me to be the winning one. I.e.build a brilliant track/race car first then build a compromised road car not the other way round. And that's why I said Porsche will probably never beat the GT in racing even with the help of the BOP.

Last edited by Chris3963; 05-12-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I think you guys might be missing point of my originally post.

Porsche is struggling with their new cars in Le Mans/GT racing while the Ford GTs continue to wipe the floor. So this video gave me some insight as to why.

Ford started with a clean sheet to build a race car first which is amply demonstrated by the design and the technology they have built into the car. Whereas Porsche have taken an exceptional road car and tried to turn it into a winning race car. And even acknowledging that the RSRs bear little resemblance to the stock 911, the approach Ford took seems to me to be the winning one. I.e.build a brilliant track/race car first then build a compromised road car not the other way round. And that's why I said Porsche will probably never beat the GT in racing even with the BOP.
Taken that way, I agree. Ford "cheated", much in the same way many other manufacturers have done in the past: design a race car, then figure out a way to make it street legal and sell enough to comply.

GT1, anyone?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes but when Porsche beats that Ford race car with their lowly street car then THAT will be an accomplishment.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
All automobile brands have been losing their identities by moving towards the middle for a while now...that the Corvette and 911 may both end up mid-engined in their next generations is, IMO, both ironic and sad...despite how good they each may be.
Racing regulations favor diffusers and even tire wear (right now).

Ford started with a clean sheet to build a race car first which is amply demonstrated by the design and the technology they have built into the car. Whereas Porsche have taken an exceptional road car and tried to turn it into a winning race car. And even acknowledging that the RSRs bear little resemblance to the stock 911, the approach Ford took seems to me to be the winning one. I.e.build a brilliant track/race car first then build a compromised road car not the other way round. And that's why I said Porsche will probably never beat the GT in racing even with the help of the BOP.
You can't separate the racing from the BOP; it's included in the design calculus of the cars from each OEM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

And it's a good point, but what does winning races really do for the bottom-line which Porsche corp cares the most about? Porsche is a for profit company as is Ford. Along this very important front called doing business, Porsche is clearly still in the lead when it comes to FGT:GT3 sales. FGT is a loss leader similar to the LFA for Lexus.

I'm all for pompom team USA, but if Porsche were to release a $450K car to compete with this new FGT, who of us would bet against them?

What's clear as day to me is this FGT is better looking than anything Porsche in my eyes and I *adore* the GT3RS aesthetic.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Truly the ultimate track car... I mean, when your car with the same engine has won lemans.. what else is there?.. just bear the noise and harshness on the way to the track, spend a lifetime going faster and faster in it, never clean the track mark's off it, and pass it on to your kids. Really epic and brave production on ford's part.. pity about the v6 sound though
Old 05-12-2017, 07:20 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

What an incredible time to be a car nut.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:26 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

sound isnt the greatest, no argument there.

I also have no doubt, that by the time the car is delivered for me, it may not reign supreme. However, the whole buying experience has been great, with the personal attention from Ford and the concierge team. I guess I can say its about the experience as much as the car here. It's a bit of nostalgia for me to have an american car from a company that well..produces our work fleet. The owners forum is a great group of people as well(like here), so all around, an awesome "car guy" experience.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Truly the ultimate track car... I mean, when your car with the same engine has won lemans.. what else is there?.. just bear the noise and harshness on the way to the track, spend a lifetime going faster and faster in it, never clean the track mark's off it, and pass it on to your kids. Really epic and brave production on ford's part.. pity about the v6 sound though
*Class victory at Le Mans.

Plenty of turbo Mezgers out there that can lay claim to an overall victory at Le Mans in a variety of Porsches; 14 of Porsche's Le Mans victories featured a turbo Mezger flat 6, the 917s had the flat 12, and now the 919 has won twice.

Ford and Multimatic have persuaded so many that a class victory at Le Mans is a momentous event to be celebrated.

If Ford are so slick, so talented, so clever ... why aren't they building an LMP-1 hybrid to win the race outright?

Among those competing in WEC GTE Pro, every other manufacturer apart from Aston Martin races seriously in prototypes (GM/Caddy, Porsche), F1 (Ferrari), or IndyCar (GM). Why can't Ford?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
sound isnt the greatest, no argument there.

I also have no doubt, that by the time the car is delivered for me, it may not reign supreme. However, the whole buying experience has been great, with the personal attention from Ford and the concierge team. I guess I can say its about the experience as much as the car here. It's a bit of nostalgia for me to have an american car from a company that well..produces our work fleet. The owners forum is a great group of people as well(like here), so all around, an awesome "car guy" experience.
Major congrats on snagging one!

I'm sure your investment will be well protected by the low production numbers.

Quick Reply: OT: Ford GT...why Porsche will possibly never beat it