Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Formula one?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very cool, I agree.

Look forward to it Joe.
Somebody get Joe a manual stat!

But I see clutches and LSD's in your future (that's a lot of RPM and power sent through the driveline) and some additional point by's given..

I'm 2 seconds faster at Sebring in 991RS VS 997 4.0. Only mod on 4.0 was LSD..
And I shift slow, very slow because saving gearbox and clutch.
there's more down force and ediff as well. Manual might only account for a second or less!

I agree that driver is more likely to be the biggest variable but there are a lot of advantages in the PDK car comparo, so if you're going against DE guys that you're filing it out with now PDK VS PDK, I think you have no chance.

There's always an upshift on the limit, that one part where the car JUST runs out of gear before braking, etc.

1 second I bet is all you're losing but it is a LOT, both to find and to see the car in front leave you :-)

I won't, but I do hope you get a manual. You're much better at shifting then me rev matching helps save the clutch too.

I'm not getting PDK for the second a lap, I just like it more playing CUP / F1 driver :-) and durability without risk of a money shift.
You bring up a good point that I haven't heard much talk about:

Is the e-diff in pdk the real advantage that nobody is talking about? Is the diff in the manual the real disadvantage?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm sure the E diff is smarter and faster.
Harder to trail brake but not much need for it anymore anyway.

The mechanical diff I assume can be custom tailored again to your driving style but costs $$ and testing time to get it right.
It also raises the gearbox and diff oil temps in the 997's adding to clutch failures due to extreme heat cycling. They didn't wear, they failed.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure the E diff is smarter and faster.
Harder to trail brake but not much need for it anymore anyway.

The mechanical diff I assume can be custom tailored again to your driving style but costs $$ and testing time to get it right.
It also raises the gearbox and diff oil temps in the 997's adding to clutch failures due to extreme heat cycling. They didn't wear, they failed.
Now you are pushing me back to pdk. Lol!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I said that I see more clutches and point by's in your future ;-)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I said that I see more clutches and point by's in your future ;-)
Lol! It was the clutches and the diff. The bet is on the point by's! ;-)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:03 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I still love my timepiece,while some of my friends swear by that POS Apple watch.
LOL, this made me laugh
Originally Posted by orthojoe
That's it. I'm speccing a manual .2 just so I can show video of me passing multiple .2s with pdk to prove a point.
Yes, I would love to see it.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

For once I agree with you! Yes, PDK is a big help for the novices for sure. It's the blanket statements that drive me nuts. Once again, the cruddy drivers love to blame anything but themselves for their slow driving.
I don't think it has anything to do with blaming others for their slow driving, per se, unless they're a clueless dope. I think it's simply about the lower/average skilled driver want to maximize their speed and lap times on track and the PDK affords them a material delta in that regard. And, while everyone loves to bench race to the point that they convince themselves they're the second coming of Arton Senna, truth is most people out on track are more like the second coming of Ricky Bobby.

Also, though I know you disagree, some people find the PDK to really be enjoyable to drive when the speeds ramp up like they do on the track. PDK is a different experience for sure, not all negative when compared to the manual. And, as others have said, for the mere mortal driver, the increased possibility that the drivetrain eats itself on track due to one mistake is another big consideration.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I don't think it has anything to do with blaming others for their slow driving, per se, unless they're a clueless dope. I think it's simply about the lower/average skilled driver want to maximize their speed and lap times on track and the PDK affords them a material delta in that regard. And, while everyone loves to bench race to the point that they convince themselves they're the second coming of Arton Senna, truth is most people out on track are more like the second coming of Ricky Bobby.

Also, though I know you disagree, some people find the PDK to really be enjoyable to drive when the speeds ramp up like they do on the track. PDK is a different experience for sure, not all negative when compared to the manual. And, as others have said, for the mere mortal driver, the increased possibility that the drivetrain eats itself on track due to one mistake is another big consideration.
Actually, I'm a FAN of PDK. Love the transmission. Don't love the exaggerations of how much of an advantage it is over a manual.

I'm considering a manual just to try it out and see what it's like. I should be getting an RS (which I'm assuming will be pdk) less than a year later so it gives me some time to play.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Blkdsr12
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ayrton
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Sorry, typo, i was moving too fast this morning.

Quick Reply: New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.