Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
That you are a faster guy than other drivers. Absolutely normal, noting to prove.
What would be interesting to see is your lap times mt vs pdk :-)
Yes, but according to some of the crazies here, pdk makes the car almost drive itself and is 2-3 seconds faster per lap. There are a bunch of people here who have no idea how much faster 2-3 seconds is. It is A LOT. 2-3 seconds makes up for a lot of driving deficiency. A car that drives itself and shifts fast enough make up 2-3 seconds is going lap faster than a better driver in a manual.

I'm hoping to get a chance next year to grab data and a chance to pull off lap times in both versions. I'm also betting motortrend will do a piece on it. I'm predicting 0.3 seconds on a 2:00 lap will be the difference, which is about one second on the ring. I also predict that anyone who thinks their pdk is 2-3 seconds faster is 2-3 seconds slower than me in a manual.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Joe - you should do some research on BoP adjustments for manual Porches vs PDK. I've not done it but I was told buy people involved in the testing for one series their recommendation was to allow manual Porches to increase their redline but no change for PDK. The difference varies by track, but it is there. PDK is also held back from the factory by PTV+ which can only be turned off aftermarket and using a proper mechanical LSD.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Joe - you should do some research on BoP adjustments for manual Porches vs PDK. I've not done it but I was told buy people involved in the testing for one series their recommendation was to allow manual Porches to increase their redline but no change for PDK. The difference varies by track, but it is there. PDK is also held back from the factory by PTV+ which can only be turned off aftermarket and using a proper mechanical LSD.
What are you talking about?

There is no noteworthy series in the world in which manual or PDK factory cars race contemporaneously, apart from PCA Club Racing and Conti Tire (although in different classes). BOP activity pretty limited in Conti Tire too...
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yes, but according to some of the crazies here, pdk makes the car almost drive itself and is 2-3 seconds faster per lap. There are a bunch of people here who have no idea how much faster 2-3 seconds is. It is A LOT. 2-3 seconds makes up for a lot of driving deficiency. A car that drives itself and shifts fast enough make up 2-3 seconds is going lap faster than a better driver in a manual.

I'm hoping to get a chance next year to grab data and a chance to pull off lap times in both versions. I'm also betting motortrend will do a piece on it. I'm predicting 0.3 seconds on a 2:00 lap will be the difference, which is about one second on the ring. I also predict that anyone who thinks their pdk is 2-3 seconds faster is 2-3 seconds slower than me in a manual.

Damn right! Prove to PDK drivers a manual car will still be faster because the driver is the main factor, not the choice of gearbox!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like a gentleman's bet. I'll take 1.2 sec on a 2 minute lap.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

True in terms of very skilled drivers, but in the real world of low-average skilled drivers, the PDK might make a much bigger difference in their lap time than in yours.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
What are you talking about?

There is no noteworthy series in the world in which manual or PDK factory cars race contemporaneously, apart from PCA Club Racing and Conti Tire (although in different classes). BOP activity pretty limited in Conti Tire too...
It was being done for Conti Tire (ST class I think), by a couple of drivers and a Porsche race shop. I don't watch/follow the series so never looked into it, hence my suggestion to research the BoP standards.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

It was being done for Conti Tire (ST class I think), by a couple of drivers and a Porsche race shop. I don't watch/follow the series so never looked into it, hence my suggestion to research the BoP standards.
There is no competition between Caymans with different transmissions.

GS = Cayman GT4, McLaren 570S GT4, etc.

ST = 987.2 Cayman that races against NC Miatas and Mini Coopers and Altimas
Old 05-13-2017, 12:34 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Bear in mind that it was AP who said pdk gains you 1/2 a car length when it was launched in the 991.1 GT3. And now he's just contradicting himself like usual...
EXACTLY. Wtf?!?

That's disheartening.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm not saying there is no difference. In a highly competitive pro race environment where 0.3 seconds per lap makes a difference, PDK is an advantage for sure

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
Damn right! Prove to PDK drivers a manual car will still be faster because the driver is the main factor, not the choice of gearbox!
Exactly! Comments like 'the car drives itself' really irk me. Once again, ignorant comments like that usually come from people who suck at driving.

Originally Posted by IPSA
Sounds like a gentleman's bet. I'll take 1.2 sec on a 2 minute lap.
Done! Now, to get myself a car. I'm being told next round of allocations.

Originally Posted by Archimedes
True in terms of very skilled drivers, but in the real world of low-average skilled drivers, the PDK might make a much bigger difference in their lap time than in yours.
For once I agree with you! Yes, PDK is a big help for the novices for sure. It's the blanket statements that drive me nuts. Once again, the cruddy drivers love to blame anything but themselves for their slow driving.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilT3 (PT3)
EXACTLY. Wtf?!?

That's disheartening.
I don't think he's contradicting himself. He stated from a 'dead stop'... the PDK will get out front due to the benefit of the launch.

From a roll, he's saying it's very close.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I don't think he's contradicting himself. He stated from a 'dead stop'... the PDK will get out front due to the benefit of the launch.

From a roll, he's saying it's very close.

Best Regards,
Dave
Interesting. That is probably the source of confusion. Good pickup
Old 05-13-2017, 05:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That's it. I'm speccing a manual .2 just so I can show video of me passing multiple .2s with pdk to prove a point.
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
All this talk is non-sense. The biggest benefit to the PDK car owner will be that they can drive the car closer to the limit without being skilled with the third pedal. A very skilled 3 pedal driver, if driving the cars in similar manner, will likely be "slightly" faster in a PDK car. The unskilled 3 pedal driver would be noticeably faster in the PDK car. Trail braking and mid-corner shifting are areas where the 3 pedal car can not replicate like the PDK car. If a track has several corners where the manual car has to stay in a higher gear to not unsettle the car, where as a PDK car can downshift in the turn without upsetting the car, then on that track the PDK car has an advantage exiting the apex in a proper gear ratio. Removing the third pedal does allow for more time to process the information, and some people benefit greatly.
I'm not saying there is no difference. In a highly competitive pro race environment where 0.3 seconds per lap makes a difference, PDK is an advantage for sure

Exactly! Comments like 'the car drives itself' really irk me. Once again, ignorant comments like that usually come from people who suck at driving.

Done! Now, to get myself a car. I'm being told next round of allocations.

For once I agree with you! Yes, PDK is a big help for the novices for sure. It's the blanket statements that drive me nuts. Once again, the cruddy drivers love to blame anything but themselves for their slow driving.
Very cool, I agree.

Look forward to it Joe.
Somebody get Joe a manual stat!

But I see clutches and LSD's in your future (that's a lot of RPM and power sent through the driveline) and some additional point by's given..

I'm 2 seconds faster at Sebring in 991RS VS 997 4.0. Only mod on 4.0 was LSD..
And I shift slow, very slow because saving gearbox and clutch.
there's more down force and ediff as well. Manual might only account for a second or less!

I agree that driver is more likely to be the biggest variable but there are a lot of advantages in the PDK car comparo, so if you're going against DE guys that you're filing it out with now PDK VS PDK, I think you have no chance.

There's always an upshift on the limit, that one part where the car JUST runs out of gear before braking, etc.

1 second I bet is all you're losing but it is a LOT, both to find and to see the car in front leave you :-)

I won't, but I do hope you get a manual. You're much better at shifting then me rev matching helps save the clutch too.

I'm not getting PDK for the second a lap, I just like it more playing CUP / F1 driver :-) and durability without risk of a money shift.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:51 AM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

half a second per normal completed shift . manual vs pdk. =+1 pdk, base on data log.
lighter car in manual vs pdk= +1 manual.
more turns on track that requires more down/upshift = loss time=+1pdk.
that's probably why 0-60 is 3.2 vs 3.8 sec
Even with more hp it will be hard to lower time due to normal clutch/6spd tranny action.
the human factor = the limiting factor.
note: all my cars since 91 are manual. and as long as they make them I will be a buyer.
The challenge is what makes it a "sport" in a sport car.
What is fun about it, when everyone can make a "hole in 1" on every swing.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Each to their own in the manual Vs PDK/PDK-S debate

My own rationale is fairly similar to TRAKCAR above

(1) PDK works in conjunction with PTV-E and RAS (manual is hooked to an old school lockable diff).
(2) As I have aged I'm fully aware my reaction times have dropped significantly - PDK allows me to better concentrate on lines and braking points
(3) PDK always maximises power under the curve
(4) PDK ensures you have two hands on the wheel
(5) The difference between PDK and manual at my local circuit is ~.5s to 1s per lap - consistently
(6) Over a three day tarmac rally PDK is worth 10s just on launches alone

Anyhow, I have seen too many blown engines, gear boxes, diffs etc - to be swayed back to a manual 500HP car where your clutch/gearbox/diffs are (literally) considered consumables. If its road duty thats a different matter and I fully understand why people would buy a manual. But the track environment is a different kettle of fish.

Quick Reply: New AP interview on GT3, PDK vs Manual etc.