Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM
copmagnet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
the rear wing is def higher and looks much better than 991.1 GT3 RS

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/29/p...-rs-spy-shots/

Can't see anything different about the wing height or shape from the one I see everyday in my garage... Don't see how you can say it definitely looks taller and better. You may not be familiar with the RS wing enough?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Koenigsegg 1:1 has CF wheels rated up to 280 MPH. Carbon fiber has superior tensile strength and specific strength versus high-grade forged aluminum alloy. Carbon fiber specific strength is an order of magnitude greater than aluminum alloy, and has 8x stronger tensile strength.

Also, the centripetal forces experienced by the wheel are far less due to the ~50% weight reduction over their aluminum alloy counterparts. F=MA. There's an Australian company that makes continuous fiber CF wheels, and they are among the strongest wheels in the world currently.
I don't doubt the strength of these wheel. My only concern is that a metal wheel usually gets bent in the case of damage - this is both easy to recognize and usually not catastrophic. When a CF wheel is damaged, it may not be easily noticed and a latent weakness might only become apparent as it fails in a spectacular fashion.

I'd be especially cautious when buying a used car with CF wheels where the history is not known. I might not be too nervous about buying new CF wheels and then just replacing them or having them expertly examined after driving on the track with curbing, after hitting potholes on the road, etc. I just wouldn't have any idea myself if the wheels were perfect or an impending disaster by looking...
Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

A black 991.1RS
Maybe testing 4.2L
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I don't doubt the strength of these wheel. My only concern is that a metal wheel usually gets bent in the case of damage - this is both easy to recognize and usually not catastrophic. When a CF wheel is damaged, it may not be easily noticed and a latent weakness might only become apparent as it fails in a spectacular fashion.

I'd be especially cautious when buying a used car with CF wheels where the history is not known. I might not be too nervous about buying new CF wheels and then just replacing them or having them expertly examined after driving on the track with curbing, after hitting potholes on the road, etc. I just wouldn't have any idea myself if the wheels were perfect or an impending disaster by looking...
Contrary to popular belief, there are numerous types of Carbon Fiber laminates. Some CF laminates are actually more malleable than aluminum alloys. The traditional brittle CF laminates (non-structural components, spoilers, diffusers, etc) would not be utilized for high mechanical stress components.

Aluminum alloy will catastrophically fail from defect more easily than top grade continuous fiber CF laminate. As continuous fiber CF laminates are orders of magnitude stronger. The molecular composition is fundamentally stronger. Powder coat aluminum forged wheels post manufacturing above the critical anneal temperature, and see how they fail on track...catastrophically.

The big variable in this equation is weight. CF wheels are 50% lighter, the forces of physics acting on the wheels are orders of magnitude less at high velocities.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
Contrary to popular belief, there are numerous types of Carbon Fiber laminates. Some CF laminates are actually more malleable than aluminum alloys. The traditional brittle CF laminates (non-structural components, spoilers, diffusers, etc) would not be utilized for high mechanical stress components.

Aluminum alloy will catastrophically fail from defect more easily than top grade continuous fiber CF laminate. As continuous fiber CF laminates are orders of magnitude stronger. The molecular composition is fundamentally stronger. Powder coat aluminum forged wheels post manufacturing above the critical anneal temperature, and see how they fail on track...catastrophically.

The big variable in this equation is weight. CF wheels are 50% lighter, the forces of physics acting on the wheels are orders of magnitude less at high velocities.
Interesting - thanks for the post!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

always find it fascinating ppl are surprised next gen is faster. duh....

just add 991.2 gt3 and 991.2rs. it's that simple

and slow isn't bad
plenty ppl would gladly trade me two 991ra fke
my really slow rs4.0

and many many will trade 3-4 991rs or any rs for the super slow 73rs

the ring time is made for newbies or pro racers bc they both live their lives on ring lap at a time
Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 AM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re the debate on wheel material - I don't dispute any of the above ( I'm not an engineer). I would, however, question what may happen to a curbed wheel made from CF vs one made of metal. There are a great number of wheels that have "parking" damage that are still "fit for purpose", I don't know how CF wheels with similar damage would cope with high speed ( Autobahn).
I once had quite some difficulty getting my 928GTS through a Tuev inspection (Cologne) because somebody had made a paperwork error in regard of the tyre size. The tyres were standard factory fit, however the paperwork didn't match. I needed to get corrective paper from Stuttgart. Frustrating!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's just put this to bed with a picture.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 153 Posts

Koenigsegg 1:1 has CF wheels rated up to 280 MPH. Carbon fiber has superior tensile strength and specific strength versus high-grade forged aluminum alloy. Carbon fiber specific strength is an order of magnitude greater than aluminum alloy, and has 8x stronger tensile strength.
TUV certification also means being to withstand the road environment for reliability and not just the strength factor, that includes all the road salt and/or sand other things that can degrade the weave sealant over time. Some race series such as MotoGP do not permit CF wheels. I think TUV has immersion tests and other things to simulate road usage.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS