Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:57 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Nice attention to detail!
Thank you Sir.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

This is going to make the "let me repaint my brand new 911 R" thread seem like a clear marker swap by comparison.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 05-10-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is the best thread in the 991 section.
You will have your hands full driving the car that you won't have time to stare at your deviated stitching or alcantara, etc, and make silly post about pts, CCX options. Glad that someone broke the trend around this side of the forum.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

What are you expecting/hoping this to cost?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:28 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This is an awesome journey. Building this thing IS the point.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Any photos of that orange baby?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I love your attention to detail on this project. Its still probably cheaper doing this then buying an R. I will leave this clip here since I imagine your credit card is getting a bit of a workout.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
This is going to make the "let me reprint my brand new 911 R" thread seem like a clear marker swap by comparison.
LOL.

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
this is the best thread in the 991 section.
You will have your hands full driving the car that you won't have time to stare at your deviated stitching or alcantara, etc, and make silly post about pts, CCX options. Glad that someone broke the trend around this side of the forum.
Glad your enjoying it.

Originally Posted by tonymission
What are you expecting/hoping this to cost?
somewhere north of 40ish??? with all the little extras. This includes thing not necessary for the conversion. Will total it all up when done to give a more accurate number.

Originally Posted by robmypro
This is an awesome journey. Building this thing IS the point.
Yesss man
Originally Posted by robmypro
Any photos of that orange baby?
the 997 or 991?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Originally Posted by NiteJav
I love your attention to detail on this project. Its still probably cheaper doing this then buying an R. I will leave this clip here since I imagine your credit card is getting a bit of a workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjSFfedP_A

LOL Very funny Chit!

Thanks man

Yes it is by over 240K, maybe even more. I hope R owners dont get insulted (my personal opinion here) but unless you got one at sticker I would think you would have to be nuts to pay 500K for one. Right now if you buy a RS at the going prices and slap 35-40k into it and you have a car with soooo much more appeal look wise, from the aero, staggered rims sizes, wide body, side intakes and fenders, etc... For 250K ish you have a superior car. (not talking collector ) talk here. I think this would be a deal in the SMILE dept. in the performance car world right now.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy cow. I am a PDK fan all the way but I admire your enthusiasm and persistence to get what you want, while being extremely attentive to detail. Watching and following. Impressive work.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I guess that's why he chose to send it to us?!??! The OP knows that we are obsessed with impossible and have been asked to do the craziest of things, including making a PDK GT4 & providing a 4.0L X51 GT4 kit that makes near RS power & RS torque in a GT4; we needed another project to try and break the internet! Thanks OP for the opportunity to do this build!
My Pleasure John, appreciate you taking the time to tackle this and get it done, even though im sure i was a special case on the first couple phone calls
Your patience and professionalism throughout this process is why you've built a world class operation. Can't wait to get this car on the lift in your shop.
You guys ROCK!!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Based on what you are doing, and how you are going about doing it, pure oem route, I imagine the finished product would be no different then if the boys and girls in Stuttgart did it at the factory.

I agree with you on being nuts to shell out 500k for a R. The R is an amazing car its a shame Porsche limited their production in the way they did. You are doing the next best thing. It takes some testicular fortitude on your end to take this on. In terms of investment who cares if you ultimately get what you want. Even if you decide to sell one day the process is fully documented and any future owner will have the confidence that what they are getting is purely an OEM effort.

Not sure how Porsche will feel about this. They have two possible paths. 1. Embrace it and create a factory conversion option (like Aston Martin did for owners who want to ditch paddles for row your own) . 2. Limit the availability of critical parts required for this conversion. I hope they go with #1.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 PM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Holy cow. I am a PDK fan all the way but I admire your enthusiasm and persistence to get what you want, while being extremely attentive to detail. Watching and following. Impressive work.

Thank you very much man, I will say I am a huge PDK fan as well, I think its a amazing Transmission. The Dual Clutch in my 458 Italia, as amazing and animated as it is can't compete for sheer crispness and execution of shifts repeatedly over and over. PDK is a Marvel in the DCT dept. I just don't like the fact that Porsche took the option away from us RS owners. I Just never in a million years thought Porsche would be an Auto option only in their flagship cars. I'm really happy you guys like the build, Appreciate the support and interest man.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:03 AM
RJGT3RS
Racer

Based on what you are doing, and how you are going about doing it, pure oem route, I imagine the finished product would be no different then if the boys and girls in Stuttgart did it at the factory.
Yes, with the exception of some of the non necessary cosmetic interior trim pcs. I'm putting on from exclusive option the whole conversion is OEM Porsche parts. For my particular car it has deviated lava stitching so they came thru BIG to match it to the interior for that Factory look.

I agree with you on being nuts to shell out 500k for a R. The R is an amazing car its a shame Porsche limited their production in the way they did. You are doing the next best thing. It takes some testicular fortitude on your end to take this on. In terms of investment who cares if you ultimately get what you want. Even if you decide to sell one day the process is fully documented and any future owner will have the confidence that what they are getting is purely an OEM effort.
Thank you and you're Absolutely on point about the R.

Not sure how Porsche will feel about this. They have two possible paths. 1. Embrace it and create a factory conversion option (like Aston Martin did for owners who want to ditch paddles for row your own) . 2. Limit the availability of critical parts required for this conversion. I hope they go with #1.
MEEE TOOO! But i have the feeling some bums will get hurt in the process
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is so insane!! But I love it. Can't wait to see the finished product. Best thread on renlist by far..

Quick Reply: 1 of 1 MANUAL 991 GT3RS. THE CAR PORSCHE DIDN'T BUILD, BUT I DID!