Sponsored by:

The true value of the R

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM
rave426
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

997 4.0RS: owners with sub 10k mile cars asking 425-470, crazy low mile cars 500+, that higher mile (20k+) black one was sold around 375?[ Road scholars is asking CGT money for Jeff Zwarts old 4.0 PTS.
This car may or may not have a few more miles on it now
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's not a popular opinion round here, and to an extent I can understand why, but as CJ/Apolo have said, the R really is a special car.

It is a different experience to a GT3, and the manual box is a significant but not overwhelming part of the difference.
The new .2 is a GT3+ so I don't see that it supplants the R in any way.

If I was offered an irreversible trade for 2 GT3.2s, (with one to flip), I genuinely wouldn't swap.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 PM
993RR
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I know it's not a popular opinion round here, and to an extent I can understand why, but as CJ/Apolo have said, the R really is a special car.

It is a different experience to a GT3, and the manual box is a significant but not overwhelming part of the difference.
The new .2 is a GT3+ so I don't see that it supplants the R in any way.

If I was offered an irreversible trade for 2 GT3.2s, (with one to flip), I genuinely wouldn't swap.
Marginal at 2, but 3?

In some countries the R is trading at 3 times list of the 991.2 GT3.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Was at my local dealer the other day. They had two RS's and an R that was paid for and waiting delivery. Owners showing no haste in actually picking up the cars. What do you make of that? Flippers? Investors?
now, not me, i dont have that kind of bank vault. but there are ppl who buy multiple jets and super yachts. to them, they dont rush to driive the R from the dealership. it can wait a month or two. while such person, when not enjoying his MANY toys, he is likely working his A** off to accumulate wealth... i know a few of these kind of ppl. i just let them do what makes them happy. why judge...

truth be told, i have seen balance sheets that "paralyzed" my eyeballs and jaw for days.

now, if i had an R, i'll be at the dealer in 5 min to slobber all over it,
Old 05-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold my R. After having owned many of the newer cars, I've decided that the 991 platform just isn't for me. They are positively brilliant in every respect but just not my cup of tea.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I just sold my R. After having owned many of the newer cars, I've decided that the 991 platform just isn't for me. They are positively brilliant in every respect but just not my cup of tea.
Wow, first negative comment about the R from a previous owner.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7

Well no.

I also think the R is a bit over rated even when I have one.

It tried to be old school but when I drive it back to back against my 964 Turbo 3.6, it is lights years behind in feel.

Yes the engine rev nicely, yes it has a like 9k redline and the engine sounded glorious, but that sound can be heard the same in the GT3RS. Yes it has manual, and a fantastic shifter that nothing compares in it's precision and feel, it's like slotting in a rifle bolt.

But the car is just way too big. When I am inside in the 964, I can see every corner front and back, the car feels intimate because of the much smaller interior/exterior dimension; the shifting is actual work, notch and slow and rubbery, it's an accomplishment just to go from 1st to 2nd because of the bad linkage. I could go on and on but one gets the idea.

Hell even the ergonomics are too perfect in the 911R, the wiper speed control is on the same stalk as the wiper control and the mirror select button is next to the mirror control button for christ sake!

The 911R is too modern, too perfect. it has none of the deficits that makes a 911 'cool' like the old air cooled cars.

If someone really wants a manual 911, go buy anything before 996.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 PM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

value guide

Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I get that.
Space rocket ship PDKS or 964 Hot Rod for me as well.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Well no.

It tried to be old school but when I drive it back to back against my 964 Turbo 3.6, it is lights years behind in feel.

Yes the engine rev nicely, yes it has a like 9k redline and the engine sounded glorious, but that sound can be heard the same in the GT3RS. Yes it has manual, and a fantastic shifter that nothing compares in it's precision and feel, it's like slotting in a rifle bolt.

But the car is just way too big. When I am inside in the 964, I can see every corner front and back, the car feels intimate because of the much smaller interior/exterior dimension; the shifting is actual work, notch and slow and rubbery, it's an accomplishment just to go from 1st to 2nd because of the bad linkage. I could go on and on but one gets the idea.

Hell even the ergonomics are too perfect in the 911R, the wiper speed control is on the same stalk as the wiper control and the mirror select button is next to the mirror control button for christ sake!

The 911R is too modern, too perfect. it has none of the deficits that makes a 911 'cool' like the old air cooled cars.

Appreciate your wealth of knowledge and experience in the many different era's of Porsche but some may feel the latest is always the greatest, compared to the "old" generation.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Well no.

This^

Especially if you only drive on the road. 500hp is a lot of power for the road. Aircooled is plenty fun on road.
For track, more hp is better.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

The 964RS is a way better car than the 3.6 964T to me, the lighter flywheel makes a big difference as does the super light weight.

The 964RS has legit magnesium wheels, like the 993 GT2 and 918 weissach...
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Well no.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I get that.
Space rocket ship PDKS or 964 Hot Rod for me as well.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The 964RS is a way better car than the 3.6 964T to me, the lighter flywheel makes a big difference as does the super light weight.

The 964RS has legit magnesium wheels, like the 993 GT2 and 918 weissach...
above posters have no idea what they are talking about
964 is over rated junk
leave them alone.
let me take them off your hands.
if you have one for sale, pm me. i need about 9 more.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Not really a negative comment, just a personal one. The 911R is a brilliant car, as are ALL of these GTs in this forum. Brilliant, full stop. I just simply find more enjoyment driving the 993 variants and my 928GTS. The fun factor and pure enjoyment of driving the 993S & 993TT is 10X more than the 911R...FOR ME.

Attributes: I like the size of the 993s, it actually feels like your sitting in a small, purposefully designed sports car. Plenty of power, fun, beautiful design and I enjoy working on cars. The 911R was collecting dust, not a single regret in letting it go. Hopefully it will be enjoyed to the maximum potential of the driver, just not for me.

I'll still check in to this from from time to time. The price/value/production run threads are always a good for a laugh over a cup of coffee.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Mooty, I still have that grey one sitting around you missed the last go around....

964 FTW!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The true value of the R