Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The true value of the R

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have alternatives like buying .2 rs instead of 4.0 in 2011 or gt3.2 manual instead of R in 2017 people will not pay more for the special limited cars just to drive them. For collectors in the long run ofcoarse these limited cars will appreciate a lot more. The real value for R is hard to judge rite now but i think you will have a better idea once 991 era cars finish production with a super special limited car at the end of the life cycle a la 997 4.0.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:38 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, if a billion was deposited in my bank account I'd pay around $450k for a good one, if they were asking for more I'd feel I was wasting money, and if you get much higher I start thinking 918.

But as others have said, they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

Anyone buying a manual GT3 thinking "I'll garage it and make double my money in a couple of years because of how close this is to an R" does not understand how limited editions appreciate differently.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:12 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
In fact, i did know that. Did you know that only 8 of those exclusively employ girls over 6ft?... now you know, and knowing is half the battle...
Oh man, now you are making me crave going back to Prague again! You sir and I will get along just fine 😂
Old 05-06-2017, 02:18 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
Oh man, now you are making me crave going back to Prague again! You sir and I will get along just fine 😂
Heading over with your fellow R buddy in atl in June with families in tow... who's to say we can't get a hall pass one night.. if we see you there.. we see you there.

Back on topic !!!!!!!

Last edited by CAlexio; 05-06-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:32 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Thinking 100 over as a settle point when all is said and done, but then in 20 years probably double msrp or more just because of rarity.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Experts in value, on RL?

There are 2 prices that matter:
1. What you're prepared to pay for something; and
2. What someone is prepared to sell something for.

For me, 1 is $350k to $400k for the right car. I don't know 2 as I'm not actively looking. I will be paying MSRP for the .2 GT3 and wouldn't pay a cent more.
I also pay msrp for 2gt3 very very early delivery, not sure i would trade it for an r with no money either way. Not liking the two stripes over the car, no cage etc, guess its a real trackcar im after.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:04 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Guys PAG is actively showing cars need to driven not bubble wrapped
Old 05-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Thinking 100 over as a settle point when all is said and done, but then in 20 years probably double msrp or more just because of rarity.
That's if you don't ever drive it. I'd pay 10% over list right now and drive the snot out of it.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
Personally, if a billion was deposited in my bank account I'd pay around $450k for a good one, if they were asking for more I'd feel I was wasting money, and if you get much higher I start thinking 918.

But as others have said, they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

Anyone buying a manual GT3 thinking "I'll garage it and make double my money in a couple of years because of how close this is to an R" does not understand how limited editions appreciate differently.
True i've not seen gt3s appreciate more than msrp. Even thought 997.2 gt3 production numbers were near 997.2 gt3 rs, they don't sell above msrp.

But this gen porsche made lot more 3s and rs so difficult to say what the market will be for these in the near future.
No way .2 prices will appreciate in the near future,they will manufacture as many as they can sell. But if manual does not sell as expected who knows this could be the last manual gt3.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I have nothing against the 911R...I like everything about it...at the moment it is as close to my ideal 911 that Porsche has made in the water-cooled era. But it is the first of many 981/991 end-of-the-run special models, and although the less savvy collectors get wood over 'numbered' cars, 991 is a lot of examples for a 'limited' edition. Soon we will see what the 992 is all about...it could be lighter still, still have a stick, and have N/A variants. Throw in an inevitable pullback of the collector car market and I would not be surprised to see the 911R as a footnote rather than the next RS 4.0.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

What were total production numbers?
Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
If I would be in the market for an R. I would think $250-300k would be reasonable because it's a numbered limited edition car.
Originally Posted by rave426
By the current valuation of 911R, the 997 RS 4.0 should be worth about $200-300k more. Its more limited and even more unique.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
What were total production numbers?
The 911 R was a LE and only 991 were built. The 997 4.0RS was also a LE and only 600 were ever built.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Rather then start a new thread I decided to share a quandary I am having at present. I have an allocation for a .2 GT3 and just been offered this past weekend an R with delivery Km and fairly close to the spec I would have ordered originally. If price could be negotiated to 10-20% of GT3 then no brainer, but fairly sure that won't fly at all. So at what markup is not too far out of realms of being silly? Clearly a personal / emotional decision, but also one eye on the experts view on value retention. Nobody likes to think they paid way to much or loose to much...
I would intend to drive and own 5+ years depending on circumstances. GT3 I would look to sell in 3 and look for new version. One or other, not both for other non car reasons.
So looking through the current noise around gt3.2, what is a fair % over delivered price you think ?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Rather then start a new thread I decided to share a quandary I am having at present. I have an allocation for a .2 GT3 and just been offered this past weekend an R with delivery Km and fairly close to the spec I would have ordered originally. If price could be negotiated to 10-20% of GT3 then no brainer, but fairly sure that won't fly at all. So at what markup is not too far out of realms of being silly? Clearly a personal / emotional decision, but also one eye on the experts view on value retention. Nobody likes to think they paid way to much or loose to much...
I would intend to drive and own 5+ years depending on circumstances. GT3 I would look to sell in 3 and look for new version. One or other, not both for other non car reasons.
So looking through the current noise around gt3.2, what is a fair % over delivered price you think ?
I too have very early delivery on gt3. Just like you id be willing to pay maybe maximum 10-15k euro or dollars inbetween, the R just isnt worth any 3-400k euro as i imagine it would.
Looking forward to my gt3 alot, it would be a tough cookie to eat owning the R and knowing "the engine of the gt3 is alot alot better"
Plus im looking for a track car, was actually abit disappointef the r didnt have cage/rollbar.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
MSRP for .2 GT3.

50% above MSRP for the R would be a great deal. However, I doubt you will get it at that price. R is still trading at 100% over MSRP at the moment.

Quick Reply: The true value of the R